Disobeying the law in Singapore is hazardous to your health

Talk about anything in here.

Disobeying the law in Singapore is hazardous to your health

Postby Shilohan ninja » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:44 pm

No joke. Singapore has laws against the posestion or chewing of gum and spitting, punishable by, among other things, 6, count 'em, 6 lashings with a bamboo stick. All in one sitting, no less!

Have you any idea how bad it hurts to get hit with a bamboo stick??

One kid did it there, got caught, and received 6 lashings with a bamboo stick. A bamboo stick used by a martial arts master, no less!

The second hit left a two inch deep gash in the kid's back side and made him black out. As if that wasn't bad enough, they brought him back to so they could finish the punishment!

Disclaimer: This is an account as told by my sociology teacher who's brother, who happened to be on tour of duty there, saw it happen.
Finish Strong - 2Tim. 4:7,8
"[color="SeaGreen"]Speak up for those who never get a chance to choose life rather than those who have rights and use them improperly."[/color] - A good friend of mine
[color="Purple"]Normal is a setting on a washing machine[/color]. -A youth pastor of mine
[SIZE="5"]JESUS IS LORD![/SIZE] End of descussion.
[color="Red"]Farewell to false pretention
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell tomorrow burns[/color] - Demon HunterMy Blog
Shilohan ninja

Postby sapphire_shine » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm

dude,no way 0_o I mean,CHEWING GUM??? Yeah,that's just SOOOO bad,we gotta punish that!

But really,that's just sad.Poor kid.I will pray for him.Why in the world do they make laws like that???? It's really sad.....
sapphire_shine

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:58 pm

Singapore prides itself in being very clean. Chewing gum sticks to the pavement.
They also have strict anti-littering laws. There are heavy fines for throwing something on the ground.
One of my friends graduated and moved to Singapore for work. She told me all this.
With rules this strict, no wonder Singapore is so clean!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:51 pm

sapphire_shine (post: 1247726) wrote:dude,no way 0_o I mean,CHEWING GUM??? Yeah,that's just SOOOO bad,we gotta punish that!

But really,that's just sad.Poor kid.I will pray for him.Why in the world do they make laws like that???? It's really sad.....

Most countries had some form of corporal punishment until fairly recently. Canada for example only abolished the lash in the mid 1970's. Granted, it wasn't used for littering offences.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Puguni » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:09 pm

There was this really nasty international dispute a few years ago about some foreign kids who spit on people's cars in Singapore. I don't think they had to receive punishment, which was just as harsh as the bamboo lashings. ><;;
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:19 pm

I believe discipline is a good idea, but bamboo beatings is going too far.

As for the 2nd bamboo beating opening a 2 inch deep gap in the boy's backside, I'd have to say that's complete and utter crap.
Anyone believe the Loch Ness Monster exists?
It's exaggerated to make us believe the ridiculous. If it was 2 inch deep gash the boy would have bled to death, not just blacked out.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Peanut » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:32 pm

There was an incident a few years ago where a US citizen broke one of these rules (he spray painted Graffiti on a wall). It, of course, caused a huge raucous however the individual supposedly later thanked the Singapore government for giving him that punishment. According to him it actually turned his life around. Are these laws "ridiculous," yes, but they do work quite well and can correct delinquents of bad behavior.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby MBlight » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 am

As one of my favourite teachers, Dr. Graham Catto told me last night "Law without consequence is only good advice"

I think the 2 inch gash was perhaps a slight exaggeration (sp?) and something is obviously working if they are such a clean country...
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Debitt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:23 am

Part of my family lives in Singapore -- yeah....their punishment system can seem pretty harsh a lot of the time.

My brother used to own a shirt that said "Singapore: The Fine City" that listed a handful of offenses along with their punishments. If I remember correctly, urinating in an elevator also got you the bamboo stick (among other things, I'd imagine).

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Kkun » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:36 am

I just edited a satirical paper on the practice of caning for a literary magazine at school. The guy begins by discussing the crime rate in America and then looks to Singapore's theory of corporal punishment as a solution to our problems. It was the most fun I'd ever had reading a college composition paper, I think.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby minakichan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:00 am

Hehehe, my research lab imported a bunch of kids from Singapore for the summer; they tell interesting stories.

I think they said that actual possession of gum is not illegal anymore (but you still can't chew it in public), so they import gum from Malaysia. Also, drug dealing is punishable by hanging and even possession has huge harsh punishments.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:50 am

in my opinion..though harsh (at least we consider it harsh...however, rapist and murderers are off on parole within less than half their sentence for "good behavior" (...overcrowded prisons most likely)....they are at least doing something about the law...tho the gum thing is a little harsh 0_o;;
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby RidleyofZebes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:03 pm

" wrote:dude,no way 0_o I mean,CHEWING GUM???

Clearly, you've never been to Singapore...
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1247785) wrote:I believe discipline is a good idea, but bamboo beatings is going too far. If it was 2 inch deep gash the boy would have bled to death, not just blacked out.

Maybe the wording was off, and it was a deep gash, two inches long, not two inches deep?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Shilohan ninja » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:17 pm

Perhaps. I have been known to be wrong, you know. It might also have been the fourth strike. The details are a little fuzzy as my teacher is from Baltimore and, according to him at least, people from that corner of the world tend to ignore punctuation and run everything together, kindalikethisyaknow?
Shilohan ninja

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:12 pm

Ah, got to love Chinese Whispers.
I hate rumours.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby AsianBlossom » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:43 pm

RidleyofZebes (post: 1248030) wrote:Clearly, you've never been to Singapore...

*falls over laughing*

But seriously, not everyone spits out their gum on the sidewalks or leaves them under desks and chairs (I've discovered enough of that in college...try moving a desk or chair only to find something hard and lumpy underneath where you put your hand...eeeewwwww...); I know I don't. People just need to clean up more after themselves and be more responsible with their trash, you know?
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Shilohan ninja » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:52 pm

Sadly enough, this is easier said than done in America. >_<
Finish Strong - 2Tim. 4:7,8
"[color="SeaGreen"]Speak up for those who never get a chance to choose life rather than those who have rights and use them improperly."[/color] - A good friend of mine
[color="Purple"]Normal is a setting on a washing machine[/color]. -A youth pastor of mine
[SIZE="5"]JESUS IS LORD![/SIZE] End of descussion.
[color="Red"]Farewell to false pretention
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell tomorrow burns[/color] - Demon HunterMy Blog
Shilohan ninja

Postby Mave » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:48 am

Come on, folks, some laws were created for a good reason/purpose. I mean, God made commandments for a reason too. Thou shalt not worship other gods other than Me....because I KNOW you idiots would be worshiping this stupid golden cow by the time My poor servant Moses gets down from the mountain. LOL!

In the same way, Singapore is a cleaner place with such rules because it takes care of those silly ppl who don't have the common civic sense not to throw rubbish around and to vandalize public property. Seriously, some ppl need help and the law guides them by negative reinforcement because maybe that's the only thing that makes sense to them.

If you've been around some Asian countries long enough, you'll be shocked by some local practices and WISHED such laws were enforced. I've seen ppl care freely throw rubbish out the windows of public buses. Now how's that for unlawfulness?

And as for the international lashings controversy, I think you were referring to Micheal Fay. The vandalizing that was going on then wasn't just spitting on cars. I don't know whether the kid really did it. As much as I feel sorry for the kid (and anyone who goes through the beatings in general), if he was indicted, I would expect that he has to take the cake like everyone else in this country.

I mean, there has been recent tragic cases of local Malaysians getting slashed killed by foreigners in a daylight robbery. What happened then? These foreigners get deported and go scot free, because they are "protected" by their mother country. How do we feel about that now? I'm extremely upset and disturbed by that. It's so not fair. If you're in Rome, you follow Rome's law. If it sucks, suck it up. And pls don't go on to say that vandalism is not the same with murder. In the end of the day, there is a victim who suffers.

I guess I'm just saying that one can't expect the standards of "compassion" to apply in every part of the world.

And one last thing, hanging for drug possession and trafficking? Sweet. That'll make ppl take this issue more seriously.
Mave

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:56 am

On one hand, I think beating people is a little harsh, but on the other hand, good for Singapore for actually having the guts to carry out such punishments. Maybe then people will actually follow the law! In the US, it's like, if you break the law, you either have to pay a lot of money, or go to jail, where you get free food, free clothes, and a free place to live. O_o
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby king atlantis » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:11 pm

i agree with harsh punishments....
for harsh crimes.
im a back.
king atlantis

Postby Mave » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Random thought: What if a certain group of Hollywood celebrities got a public spanking for all those DUI charges or possession of [something illegal]?

Maybe it's a bit harsh but I'm just wondering how ppl will react towards the law after that......heh
Mave

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Mave wrote:Random thought: What if a certain group of Hollywood celebrities got a public spanking for all those DUI charges or possession of [something illegal]?

I would watch the video footage over and over again and laugh hysterically.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby AsianBlossom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:51 pm

Public spanking? Oh, goodness, no, that would be abuse. XD
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Return to General