Looking for some manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Looking for some manga

Postby BrianC » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:40 am

These are some titles or genres that I have enjoyed in either novels, anime, or manga:

Some anime titles I like are Princess Nine, Miyazaki flims, Kenshin Trust/Betrayal OVAs, Metropolis, Lodoss TV and OVAs, Kenshin TV series, Cardcaptor Sakura the movie, Slayers TV series, Trigun, Ah! My Goddess the movie, Cowboy Bebop, Castle of Cagliostro, what I have seen of Full Metal Panic, and the first Tenchi movie.

Some manga I like are Ranma 1/2, Yugioh, Astro Boy, Ah My Goddess, Ragnarok (manhwa), Nausicaa, Fushigi Yuugi, and Angelic Layer.

These are some of my perferances:

I like fantasy/RPG styled manga and manga with videogameish aspects. I also like manga with scifi elements and manga with lots of humor. I'm not a big fan of fanservice, though I do like Ranma 1/2.

Here are some of the genres I'm looking for:

samurai/fighting
fantasy
magical girl (mahou shoujo)
action advanture
shoujo
shonen
sci-fi

Here are some titles I'm interested in knowing more about:

Nadesico
Toyko Mew Mew
Slayers Special and other Slayers manga (specific volumes?)
Bandit King Jing
Rave Master
Rebirth (manhwa)
Wish
Clover
GTO
CLAMP Campus (School?) Detectives
Duklyon (sp?)

Some titles I'm definatly interested in getting:

Azumanga Daioh
Cardcaptor Sakura
Saint Tail
Magic Knights Rayearth
more Ragnarok (manhwa)
One Piece
Lodoss manga
Ah My Goddess (I have borrowed some from the library and enjoyed it. I'm interested in seeing the first appearances of Skuld, Mara, and Peroth. Which volumes do you recommend?)
Naruto

Do you recommend any of these titles? Any other titles I should consider?
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:44 pm

That was thorough. All I can say is that I highly recommend Naruto, and with your preferances, Ragnarok is probably a good choice too. Cardcaptor Sakura isn't bad, really.
uc pseudonym

hehe

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:25 pm

at least love hina isnt in there XDDDDDDD

I think pretty much all of those are good i reccomend calmp school detectives

why you ask?

I havent read it
I havent watched it but CLAMP never screws up
and plus im a clamp fan

VIVA LA CLAMP!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Saint » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:00 pm

i can comment on a few.

GTO is a very funny one, has some sexual humor and fanservice. thus the 16+ rating, but from the other titles you already like you might want to check this out.

Rave Master: i have only read the first vol. and from what i have read it is a pretty good manga, funny and lots of action. it is a boys one so nothing too objectional. i like it and its a good time to start. i only think there are 2 volumes out so far.

Bandit King Jing: flipped thru it at the store. seems fun. another boys manga... so agian, prolly not much to be offended by in it. guess thats all, oh and i have only seen the movie but Slayers seems to be popular... so... maybe. ;)
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Spiritsword » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:37 pm

Originally posted by Christianotaku:
VIVA LA CLAMP!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!! *high fives*

CLAMP is awesome! I am a self-proclaimed CLAMP addict, and I agree that you simply can't go wrong with their manga.

Cardcaptor Sakura is my favorite CLAMP manga and I would highly recommend it if you're seriously considering it already.

I've watched the CLAMP campus detectives anime but I have never read the manga. The anime was okay, not stellar.

As for Slayers, I'm a big fan of the fantasy genre and Slayers (the anime) is one of the best. It IS the best fantasy/comedy series as far as I'm concerned. I have one volume of the manga, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the anime. It didn't have a lot of the characters from the anime in it, just Lina and Gourry, if I remember correctly.

Magic Knight Rayearth and Clover are good too. I've never read Azumanga Daioh, but that's one (both anime and manga-wise) that I am interested in checking out too. Let me know how it is if you try it!

Happy reading!

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:28 am

Oh, in retrospect there's another title I might suggest. X/1999 is a CLAMP work that isn't bad, in my opinion (not insinuating anything). I've read more than one volume, and it looks to be good. It has obvious shoujo elements, but plenty of actions. The fights aren't incredibly well done, but they could be a lot worse. I'd recommend it.
uc pseudonym

Postby purplemoose » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:12 pm

YOU'RE LIBRARY HAS MANGA BOOKS NO FAIR!!! the most my library probably has is a little how to draw your fav. dbz charactors you lucky duck you!!

a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step
- chinese proverb
purplemoose

Postby otaku » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:11 am

ah my goddess is great. love hina is another but well kinda mature not hentai but more a teen type thing give it some thought and research.
otaku

Postby Angelchick » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:15 pm

Cardcaptor Sakura is good. i like Cowboy Bebop and Gundam Wing a lot. DBZ is pretty good. i think Tenchi Muyo would be good.
Angelchick

Postby hana » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:36 pm

Fruits Basket is really funny. i recommend it highly but it doesn't come out until February 2004.
hana

Postby SenseiPenPen » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:42 pm

I highly reccomend Blade of The Immortal... Awesome art work, good story... It's definitely rated "R," though. It's pretty violent. Still, it's my favorite manga, and always has been.
"How can I ever save the world /on cup-o-soup and student loans?" - Five Iron Frenzy, "Where the Zero Meets the Fifteen"
SenseiPenPen

Postby DK_Sol » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:19 pm

Rave Master:Sixteen-year-old Haru Glory has never left the cozy confines of Garage Island. He likes fishing and eating snowcones on the beach -- not exactly the lifestyle of a hero-in-the-making. Meanwhile, in the wider world, the evil society Demon Card is threatening civilization as we know it. When they come to Garage Island, unleash the destructive power of the Dark Bring and start messing with his friends, Haru is forced into action. With the help of a transforming sword and his magical guide Plue, Haru sets out on the most harrowing quest of his young live: to find the five missing RAVE Stones -- which hold the key to victory over the Dark Bring -- and to kick some major Demon Card butt. --Rated 13+ / Action-adventure / Fantasy--Tokyopop has vol.1-5 out already. I have read vol.1-3 and is very good:jump:

Ragnarok:By Myung Jin Lee After 1000 years of peace, the wolf god Fenris Fenrir has been reborn. She seeks to find the reincarnation of Balder, the most beloved God, as the land of Midgard sinks further into anarchy. They are both key players in the coming of Ragnarok, the time when fate and free-will shall come into conflict as the very nature of the universe is forever redefined. --Rated 13+ /Action-adventure/ Fantasy--Tokypop has vol.1-8 out already I read most of them is a very good manga I would highly recomended :thumb:

Chronicles of the Cursed Sword: The adventure begins! King Jaryoon of Hahyun is attacked by a monstrous emissary from the nefarious vizier, Shiyan. The swordsman Rayan appears and slays the monster with PaSa, a powerful blade orginally crafted by Shiyan himself. Further thrills follow, including an epic battle with the (nearly) inconquerable White Tiger. --Rated 13+ /action adventure/ Fantasy . Vol.1-2 are out. I read both of them the manga is very good and the fighting style is very detail. I higly recomended. :thumb:

Fruits Bascket: Tohru Honda was an orphan, living with her grandfather, when one day fate kicked her out of the house and she was forced to take up residence in a tent in the forest. Little did she know that the land she was staying on belonged to the Sohma family, a clan of beautiful and mysterious people. After stumbling upon the teenage squatter, the Sohmas invite Tohru to stay in their house in exchange for cooking and cleaning. Everything's going well until she discovers the Sohma family's greatest secret: when hugged by members of the opposite sex, they each turn into their Chinese Zodiac animal! --Rated 13+ /Comedy-romance. The first vol is coming out in 2/10/04. I highly recomend these manga. :thumb: I watch the whole anime series and it was aswesome!! :jump:
I have Read all of these mangas and many more and I higly recomend them. :thumb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night, like a black veil descends now embracing the world around me.
I sleep, yet do not...
your presence is near.
You invade my every dream...
even when I am awake.

DK_Sol

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:08 pm

Rave master's good but when it gets to volume 9, it's starts getting a little boring with a lot more unreasonable fanservice. I still recommend it. You could also try Bleach and Naruto (definately).
jon_jinn

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews