What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:14 am

Once I started reading my Jedi Apprentice books, I basically couldn't stop :dizzy: I ended up reading The Dark Rival, The Hidden Past, and The Mark of the Crown before I had to stop because it was Sunday :hits_self I remembered yet again why The Hidden Past was always my favorite (because of the dramatic irony in it). It's also the one in the worst shape, because I read it so many times.

To retain a bit of my dignity, I also finished Girl Meets God. That was a very interesting book, and I ended up learning a lot more about Jews than I was expecting. I went around thinking words like shul, Talmud, and she baal peh. Lauren F. Winner provided quite a few interesting observations about both Judaism and Christianity. I'm very glad to have read that book. My only complaint was that it ended rather abruptly XD
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Clive Barker's short story collection Books of Blood vol. I-III. Stephen who?
Seriously. Yipe.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby TallHobbit86 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:53 am

*is about to finish rereading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien* :dance:
King Moonracer: Don't tell me I need a root canal. This is a secret message... XD
Hermey the Elf, D.D.S: You need a root canal. Secret Bumping Club Member #9
King Moonracer: I asked you not to tell me that. geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html
TallHobbit86

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:15 pm

The Message of the Sermon on the Mount - John Stott
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby TallHobbit86 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:45 pm

*is now rereading The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien* :thumb:
King Moonracer: Don't tell me I need a root canal. This is a secret message... XD
Hermey the Elf, D.D.S: You need a root canal. Secret Bumping Club Member #9
King Moonracer: I asked you not to tell me that. geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html
TallHobbit86

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:59 am

Jedi Apprentice: The Fight for Truth and The Shattered Peace. Those books basically wrap up the large story arc where Obi-Wan decides to leave the Jedi, and all the consequences of this choice. In The Fight for Truth, I noticed a scene where Qui-Gon basically gets a vague vision of the Empire and Obi-Wan as an old hermit on Tatooine.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Humility and How to Get It - C. H. Spurgeon

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Danderson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Just finished This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti.....and all I can say is "Beyond WOW!!!!" The fight seqences between the angels and demons just screams epic anime style battle......This so could be an amazingly epic movie.....but then again I think that about any book that I think is epic....
Danderson

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:19 am

Just Read: The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey

I can safely say that this is my favorite self-help book of all time. I am not really a fan of self-help books, but this one is painful enough to actually be effective. I like the book because it attacks and tries to correct human nature (selfishness, bad attitudes etc.) rather than try to resolve the symptoms (failed marriages, bratty kids, etc.). In fact, after reading this book, I am conviced that it might actually work.

Even if you don't apply this book, it is still worth reading to see how an extropolation of Biblical principles results in sound psycho-corrective principles. Also, Orson Scott Card endorses it.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:39 am

Jedi Apprentice: The Deadly Hunter, The Evil Experiment, The Dangerous Rescue, The Ties that Bind, The Death of Hope, The Call to Vengeance, and The Only Witness. I think I got all of those right :eh: What can I say? I was bored, because we had guests and I didn't have internet access. The best way to relax in between studying for tests is to read quick paperbacks like this. I only have one left in the series, The Threat Within, which I should be finishing any day now. And then I'll leave my Jedi Apprentice books behind again.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:51 am

Last four books I've read are the first four Lost Books:

Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos

(all by Ted Dekker)

I'm re-reading Skin by him also.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby yukoxholic » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:05 am

The Lovely Bones - Alice Seabold (re-reading ^__^ )
yukoxholic

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:40 pm

House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones
Finally picked this up at the bookstore. I have to say, I was honestly only reading it for the parts with Sophie and Howl. But it definitely wasn't a bad book, and I ended up liking the main character. It was fun seeing characters from Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air pop up. My one complaint is that it could have been longer.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:43 am

The Red Wyvern by Katherine Kerr. It's a story about a "barbarian" kingdom, where a prince is trying to usurp the throne, and (where I am now, anyway) the true king's regent (since the king is five years old) is mustering all loyal tribes to protect the kingdom. What I find interesting is that, rather than focusing on the war and battle preparations and such manly things, Kerr is focusing on the women of the court and various intrigues, betrothals, etc. I suppose it might be partly because she's woman. What I find strange and kind of annoying is that Part Two, which I'm reading, has only three chapters - and each of those chapters is roughly a hundred pages long :stressed:

So, it's not the best book I've ever read, but it's pleasant enough and passes the time.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross

I liked this graphic novel considerably. The quality of writing brings to mind some fairly famous names in the business and the storyline is epic for those who like that kind of thing. Overall it is not as gritty as something by Frank Miller (more a celebration of the supernatural) but I would say it is darker - indeed, it identifies some of the neurosis evident in Miller's work. It is in turns grave and comic, all weaving into an impressive story. I'm not sure I entirely approve of how religion was handled, but it is nice to see such a serious treatment in graphic novels.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:18 pm

rereading John Bunyan's timeless classic, Pilgrim Progress.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:13 am

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:04 pm

The Complete Stories of Franz Kafa
(dude is TWISTED!)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GeneD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:45 am

I finally made it to the library on a day that they were actually open. *gasp* Just finished "Castle in the Air" by Diana Wynne Jones. Now if I could just get my hands on a copy of "Howl's Moving Castle".
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Kkun » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:34 am

rocklobster (post: 1238158) wrote:The Complete Stories of Franz Kafa
(dude is TWISTED!)

Dude is my favorite. : )

I have a book of his short stories that I'm going to dive into again after I finish reading The Lord of the Rings.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Monkey Princess » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:01 pm

A very good read although a little (okay a lot) sad is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

It's about a girl named Anna who decides to sue her parents for medical rights over her body. She has a sister, Kate, with cancer and her parents always make her be the donner. She finally has enough of it and gets her own lawyer and sues them.

I had it finished in less than a day, I couldn't put it down.
Monkey Princess

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am

Just Read: Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank.

This book was recommended to me by a friend. Apparently it is a classic in nuclear holocaust fiction. Overall, I found it to be a very enjoyable if mildly innacurate (the effects of a nuclear winter are not addressed) account of what life would be like in the year following a nuclear war. I especially liked how it addressed the smaller topics (such as the effects of salt shortages) as well as the bigger ones (radiation poisoning, highwaymen, etc.). Well worth the read if you like post-apocolyptic fiction 9/10.
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:40 pm

The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence Krauss

Read as a follow-up to The Physics of Superheroes, though the writing process was the opposite. I find it to be slightly less well-written but still dealing with interesting science, so I predict I shall finish it shortly.
uc pseudonym

Postby RobinSena » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:18 am

Currently about 250 pages into The Goblet of Fire..
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Just Read: The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh.

It is the first book I have ever read by Waugh, and, as such, came as quite a shock. The majority of the book is a humorous-yet-straight-faced satire of the ridiculously ornate and expensive burial practices of modern (aprox. 50 years ago) America. For such an old book, I was surprised how relevent and humorous this book was.

The book was not entirely for laughs, however. Towards the end of the book virtually all of the characters become extremely selfish and unsympathtic. By the time you reach the book's tragic ending, you barely feel any sorrow because you dislike the characters so much. I imagine that this distancing from the characters was the author's intent, although I do not see how it improves the book.

Ultimately, the book artfully portrayed all of humanity as pitiful and repugnant while simultaneously inducing laughs through its caricature of funeral business. It is an original, if strange, book that is worth a read for its unique tragic/comedy flavor if for nothing else. At just over 100 pages, it will not waste very much of your time should you dislike it. 8/10
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:58 pm

Finished The Red Wyvern, which I still rank as "okay."

I am now reading the delightfully humorous Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. It's a book about punctuation. Yes, punctuation. The subtitle is "A Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation," and it's absolutely perfect for a Grammar Nazi such as myself. It's great for a laugh if you find yourself appalled and revolted by the illiteracy that's running rampant today (especially on the 'net), and it's good advice if you're one of those pour souls that we Grammar Nazis pity :grin: *rofl*

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:48 pm

The Sound of Waves - Yukio Mishima

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Alice » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:32 pm

The Reluctant Widow, by Georgette Heyer. A romantic/spy sort of Regency novel.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby RobinSena » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:59 pm

ChurchPunk (post: 1239973) wrote:Currently about 250 pages into The Goblet of Fire..

Around 370 pages through The Order of the Phoenix.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:56 am

Devil's Race by Avi. A rather weird book, quite different from the other Avi books I've read; my guess would be that he wrote this before some of his others, because the writing isn't quite as good, and it's just kind of weird. It's about a boy who sees a ghost/demon of his ancestor, who starts possessing him, I guess. Very light reading, and I think I got the point, but it's definitely not one of my favorite Avi books.

I'm now nearly done with The Mirror Crack'd by Agatha Christie. It's a Marple mystery, which was why I got it (I've previously only read Poirot books), but Marple actually isn't the main detective in the story. Anyway, it's usual Agatha Christie fare (i.e. really good and impossible to figure out, yet it makes sense once the verdict is reached). For the first time, though, I've been trying to guess who could have done it and how - I'm not smart enough to do that for most mystery books. It's good, though I wonder why all the Agatha Christie books I pick up seem to be at the end of the detectives' careers :eyeroll:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner