What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:08 pm

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -

Wasn't too bad! [spoiler]I thought it was a great way to finally show that Indy is the future of the Star Wars universe![/spoiler]

Next Movie!

Invisible Target!
Solid Ronin

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:21 pm

I just saw The Untouchables.

DANG. Heavy language, heavier violence (it's about the conflict between Elliot Ness and Al Capone, what'd you expect?), but it is an EXCELLENT movie. Also, it has Sean Connery.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:15 pm

ich, The Prestige was one of the darkest movies you've seen?
Wow. You musn't have seen many.
I suggest you don't see OldBoy. That's brilliant but messed up.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:04 am

ich1990 (post: 1235754) wrote:The Prestige: I watched it with my family upon the recommendation of practically everyone on this site and the majority of my friends. Holy Crow! That was one of the darkest movies I have ever seen. If I was expecting such a movie, I would have probably watched it by myself and analysed it. I don't think my family will ever forgive me. Definately not a feel-good Saturday evening family movie.

I doubt there's much need to worry about The Prestige anyways; it's very clean. Dark, yes, and definitely twisted, but very scarce on the language and sexual content.

It's still epic though. XD The last scene is still one of my favorite movie scenes ever. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:45 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1235787) wrote:ich, The Prestige was one of the darkest movies you've seen?
Wow. You musn't have seen many.
I suggest you don't see OldBoy. That's brilliant but messed up.

I think that the main reason it was so dark, was that I was expecting a happy ending a la The Illusionist. Most movies I watch objectively and laugh when people die. This movie I watched to enjoy, therefore I was surprised at how decidedly unhappy the movie was. No doubt, the movie is brilliant, just know ahead of time that it is not a feelgood-take-your-whole-family-to-see-and-laugh-at movie.

If I were to see OldBoy, I would probably be fine because I know it is going to be messed up and depressing. I would probably laugh when I am not supposed too and be completely unsympathetic towards the characters.

In my opinion, what makes an effective movie is not the senses (I.E. what we actually see or hear) but our perceptions (what we think the movie is going to be like and how we mentally decipher what we see). This is why The Village and Signs can be scarier than R-rated slasher movies. Now that I think about it, that would make a good PhD research project.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby GeneD » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:26 pm

I saw Prince Caspian on the big screen yesterday. I enjoyed it more than the first one and now want to go read the book to see what they changed.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Danderson » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:20 pm

My Dad got Miracle for Fathers Day....So, we watched that.......Very good film.....very inspiring.....
Danderson

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:54 am

Saw the happening and the Incredible Hulk

The Happening : Not very good at all. Disappointing

The Incredible Hulk: Excellent movie even better than Ironman
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:25 am

Finished watching the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice for the second time. Wonderful, wonderful movie. Very happy ending indeed. And wow, Darcy actually smiled! :hits_self
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:49 am

Pride and Prejudice?
Blah.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:31 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1236673) wrote:Pride and Prejudice?
Blah.

:banned: :bootout:

Yeah, okay, everyone's entitled to their opinions....

Anyway, I watched an old Hitchcock movie called The Lady Vanishes. It was made in the '30s, I believe, so the sound quality and such weren't the best, but it was a really good movie all the same. The beginning was a little slow and dull, but it got very intense very fast. :thumbsup:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:04 pm

watched Get Smart last night it was great
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby FukuokaGirl » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 pm

I just saw The Happening...and I loved it.
I know people who fell into categories of loathing it whiles others thoroughly enjoyed it. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I was entertained. Plus I thought the concept was cool.

I am also just watched a very, very, *very* weird, underground film called Eagle vs. Shark. I'm still processing through it. It's incredibly awkward and slow. It's look and feel reminded me very much of Napoleon Dynamite but the storyline was rather depressing and dreary. The comedy was entirely awkward, though did illicit a guffaw from my group two or three times. I felt very bad for the main girl, and I completely hated her leading man. It was rather deep in certain ways, but left me feeling rather ... lonely. If you watch it, you'll definitely understand what I mean by that. It's an interesting way to kill two hours anyway.
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Saw the first Death Note film, and I loved it. The best 2 hours I've spent in a long while.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:13 pm

I watched a bit of What About Bob? this morning. Man, that movie is annoying ... but hilarious.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:51 am

Watched the new Rambo. And I adored it. I think I might dump some HGH into my grits tomorrow morning. (In all seriousness I enjoyed this movie)
Stephen

Postby SManBeyond » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:55 am

FukuokaGirl, I also saw The Happening and enjoyed it. I don't think it's one of Shaymalan's best, but I also was really terrified by it and liked the film's ideas. And I totally am in love with Zooey Daschenel now.

Also just saw Get Smart on Friday. Really, really loved it, and I was going in expecting to hate it. I particularly liked how it was a serious spy movie while being a really funny comedy too, and how it sidestepped a lot of cliches. I think it may be the best summer movie I've seen so far.
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:13 pm

This weekend I saw the following movies:

My First Mister
Dracula A.D. 1972
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Enchanted
Plague of the Zombies
Control
GhostontheNet

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:09 pm

transformers
pay it forward
dumb and dumber
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:17 am

I watched The Ant Bully last night --it had the typical cliched plot, but it was an enjoyable movie to watch casually.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby minakichan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 pm

Watched Iron Man... again! >_>;
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby FukuokaGirl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:30 am

SManBeyond (post: 1237855) wrote:FukuokaGirl, I also saw The Happening and enjoyed it. I don't think it's one of Shaymalan's best, but I also was really terrified by it and liked the film's ideas. And I totally am in love with Zooey Daschenel now.

I don't think it was his best either...for me that was The Sixth Sense and I personally loved The Village and Unbreakable.
But like you said...it kept me scared a lot...and I thought it was creative in the plot. And yeah...Daschenel was great!

I just watched a Korean comedy called My Sassy Girl. I ADORED this! It is a romantic comedy, but it wasn't girly. Three of my guy friends found it hilarious and were laughing out loud a lot, right along with me! I highly reccomend it!

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby TallHobbit86 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:34 am

The last movie I saw in theaters was Kung Fu Panda. It was pretty funny. XD
King Moonracer: Don't tell me I need a root canal. This is a secret message... XD
Hermey the Elf, D.D.S: You need a root canal. Secret Bumping Club Member #9
King Moonracer: I asked you not to tell me that. geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html
TallHobbit86

Postby GeneD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 am

Watched Fight Club. Quite hectic, but very interesting.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Tonight I watched The Three Caballeros.
GhostontheNet

Postby Kkun » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:15 am

I just watched Wristcutters: A Love Story and Fido.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby FukuokaGirl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:32 pm

I am going to see WALL-E tonight~~!~ I can't wait!
Last night I watched the live action Saikano... hmmm, it was very very different from the anime. I'm still not so sure how I feel about it.

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:02 am

Today and tonight I watched Enchanted and The Grudge.
GhostontheNet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:43 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1239887) wrote:Today and tonight I watched Enchanted and The Grudge.

Wow. What a combination! :lol:

The Spiderwick Chronicles - I thought it was pretty good, considering I've never read the books and it didn't have the most realistic CG ever. It's also starring my least-favorite child actor of all time, Freddie Highmore (I dunno]can[/i] stand them. For Keira Knightley, it's Pride and Prejudice. For Freddie Highmore, it's The Spiderwick Chronicles. I think his face has gotten better as he's gotten older. Anyway, the movie was enjoyable, if not my favorite thing ever, and I was amazed at the family resemblance between the two brothers. *looks at IMDb* Oh. They were both played by Freddie Highmore :hits_self

Horton Hears a Who - A truly delightful film. Very very good children's movie, I thought. Almost definitely the best children's movie I've seen since I watched Kiki's Delivery Service during Christmas. It was very Dr. Seuss. I suppose much of the narration came from the book itself (I'm not terribly familiar with that particular one), but it had that same delightful rhyme, and even the CG design looked Seuss-esque. Characters who had the dangerous potential to be very dumb and annoying were executed so that they were humorous and delightful instead. And there was a good message. It wasn't some wishy-washy overdone "believe in yourself" crap that doesn't really show you how to do anything. There was actually a point to it all. "So let that be a lesson to one and to all; a person is a person, no matter how small." And that made me think about abortion...but that's a different story. Oh, and I died in the anime parody scene. I was watching the movie in a public area, and it was so hard not to burst out laughing at the top of my lungs XD

One Night with the King - I was NOT impressed with this movie. Sure, it had some outstanding actors (John Rhys-Davies, Omar Sharif, John Noble...), and Esther was rather pretty, but the romance came across to me as very lame and Hollywood-esque (NOT something I appreciated in a movie about a Bible story), and there were a couple historical discrepancies that completely breached the suspension of disbelief for me. For one thing, King Xerxes reads a message silently at one point. Well, if they'd cared to check, reading silently hadn't even been thought of at that period of time! I'm not sure when exactly people started reading silently, but I know it was at least into the A.D. because in Acts there's that eunuch reading aloud to himself from Isaiah, and then Philip starts witnessing to him. The other historical discrepancy was the gallows. In Xerxes' dream (which, by the way, I thought was kind of overdone), it shows the typical gallows we think of, with the loop of rope and all that. But that wasn't what was meant by gallows in those times. As my father, a history major, points out every time we read through Esther as a family, hanging someone meant impaling them on a spear driven into the ground. So...those things led to me sort of scoffing the entire way through the movie.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:54 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1240305) wrote:Horton Hears a Who - A truly delightful film. Very very good children's movie, I thought. Almost definitely the best children's movie I've seen since I watched Kiki's Delivery Service during Christmas. It was very Dr. Seuss. I suppose much of the narration came from the book itself (I'm not terribly familiar with that particular one), but it had that same delightful rhyme, and even the CG design looked Seuss-esque. Characters who had the dangerous potential to be very dumb and annoying were executed so that they were humorous and delightful instead. And there was a good message. It wasn't some wishy-washy overdone "believe in yourself" crap that doesn't really show you how to do anything. There was actually a point to it all. "So let that be a lesson to one and to all]died[/i] in the anime parody scene. I was watching the movie in a public area, and it was so hard not to burst out laughing at the top of my lungs XD

Oh, I agree on all accounts here--I saw this a few months back and loved it. XD And they DID stay very faithful to the book as far as the narration goes. Several lines were taken straight from the book, and the art and design of the film were the same way. I thought it was a very well-done adaptation. XD

Also, I went to see Wall-E last night. LOVE.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment