Japan Sets Waistline Limit for Males.. O_o

Talk about anything in here.

Japan Sets Waistline Limit for Males.. O_o

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:17 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html?no_interstitial

Interesting way for a country with barely any overweight people to lose weight...

But wow, if that were to happen here...could you guys imagine the public outcry? O_o

I admit, if it were made a law for us to lose weight...I think we would see citizens go for it... but there were would be so many people crying "discrimination" and rightly so...

I dunno...what do you guys think about this?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:25 pm

Well, Japan is pretty crowded so they need as much space as they can get, XD.

I think overall it's a good way to keep the nation's health in check. It would never work here, though, because everyone would cry "discrimination" like you said. -_- But if a law like that were put in place in the U.S. I think it could really help the health of the nation as a whole. It just seems that people these days won't change unless their forced. >_>
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:28 pm

It wouldn't matter if a law like that was put forth in America because the courts would strike it down, and rightfully so.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TallHobbit86 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:46 pm

It wouldn't be fun being a sumo wrestler in Japan with a law like that. XD
King Moonracer: Don't tell me I need a root canal. This is a secret message... XD
Hermey the Elf, D.D.S: You need a root canal. Secret Bumping Club Member #9
King Moonracer: I asked you not to tell me that. geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html
TallHobbit86

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:30 pm

Given all the fun Anime/Manga writers have with health checks in high school, I expect to see this show up in some workplace story eventually.

Anyhow, waistline limits for females in the US would have a huge outcry. For males, I expect every wife in the country would just say "Honey, shut up and deal with it" and that would be it.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby sharien chan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Interesting...people here would freak out because of it. And I kinda agree. I mean it is kind of rude for the government to put a restriction on waistlines. And some people really can't control it. My former roommate had a hormone problem which made it impossible for her to lose weight.
sharien chan

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm with you, Sharien...

I mean I have a metabolism problem and while I'm TRYINg to lose weight, I gotta say, ITS NOT EASY....

A few months back some restaraunts were threatening to ban obese people...and that's just offensive.

I'm all for losing weight, I'm trying to myself...but seriously... the emotional consequences of doing something like that here just wouldn't be great.

In a society where a lot of over weight people are the way they are because of stress and such, this kind of law being passed would just be a bit hard to handle.

I'm with Nate though, it definately wouldn't be passed here...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Sheenar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Seems almost 1984ish. What are they doing--lining people up and wrapping a tape measure around their waist?
Do they follow the people who are borderline in their measurement--and say "Hey! You'd better drop that hamburger. You need to lose weight." ?
This is ridiculous...I understand wanting people to be healthy, but passing a "one-fits-all" law like this? Do they not realize that everyone is made differently? You can't try to make people fit some cookie-cutter ideal. It's not going to work.

I agree that this would never fly in the U.S.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Doubleshadow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:04 pm

That article, while initially professional and providing valuable information for insight into the problem, began having way too much fun at the end.

“Goodbye, metabolic. Let’s get our checkups together. Go! Go! Go!

Goodbye, metabolic. Don’t wait till you get sick. No! No! No!”

And this is quite amusing. Wonder why he picked us? Theories, anyone?

“I don’t think the campaign will have any positive effect. Now if you did this in the United States, there would be benefits, since there are many Americans who weigh more than 100 kilograms,” or about 220 pounds, Mr. Ogushi said. “But the Japanese are so slender that they can’t afford to lose weight.”
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:23 pm

The Japanese are funny about weight. I've heard stories of Americans living in Japan, who would go to the doctor and be told that they needed to lose weight, no matter what was wrong with them. One guy talked about going to the doctor for a severe cold, only to be told he was fat!

And if you are overweight, Japanese people will tell you to your face. They'll tell each other flat-out, too. I personally am not sure what to think about that.

And the funny thing is that obesity is far, far less common there than it is here, so why are they so worried about this? XD I almost want to say that they should do this here in the US, because it would sure help a lot of people be healthier. After all, if you are over the limit, what are they going to do, throw you in jail? And if your doctor makes you lose weight, that can only be a good thing, right?

Still, I suppose that having the government measuring your waist all the time is pretty invasive.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rii namuras » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:52 pm

[color="Red"](XDDD I find that hysterical. I rarely if ever see any overweight Asians here.)

(Also: The female's limit is larger than the males by a few inches. Shouldn't that be the other way around?)[/color]
rii namuras

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:19 pm

No, Rii, thank goodness.

Females naturally have more body fat than males...

the more and more I think about this, the more and more it actually offends me...

So glad I don't live in Japan.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:26 pm

Seriously guys, they're doing it to save space.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby sharien chan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:33 pm

What if a girl is pregnant?
sharien chan

Postby TallHobbit86 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:38 pm

sharien chan (post: 1235504) wrote:What if a girl is pregnant?

I imagine they allow an exception for that. XD
King Moonracer: Don't tell me I need a root canal. This is a secret message... XD
Hermey the Elf, D.D.S: You need a root canal. Secret Bumping Club Member #9
King Moonracer: I asked you not to tell me that. geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html
TallHobbit86

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Government intrusion = epic fail.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Momo-P » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:15 pm

And if you are overweight, Japanese people will tell you to your face. They'll tell each other flat-out, too. I personally am not sure what to think about that.

What makes me laugh about that is how most "fat" people in Japan? THEY'RE NOT EVEN FAT! Seriously, even in anime you'll have a "fat" girl and she actually looks fine...in fact, what Japan considers fat? I consider healthy. And I don't mean that "just to sound nice to overweight people", I mean...stick figures?

Sorry, but that's just GROSS.

I'm around 5'6"...some years ago I was worried about my weight so I prayed and worked at it...my goal was 125. Did I make it? HECK YA! PRAISE JESUS! In the end though? I didn't like it...I was happy God had answered my prayers, but then I looked at my cousin...when I was younger I always envied her because she was so super skinny. Now? I ended up putting some weight back on because I didn't want to be like that. Not only did I realize it looked gross, but I like having a chest and figure...granted I never really lost either of those when I lost weight, but still...having some meat on you evens it out. Plus my boyfriend likes it that way as well.

Seriously, I don't mean this bad, but Japan is into that "young look". I mean their national age of consent for girls is 13 if I remember correctly...if they like their girls looking like lolitas, whatever, but sorry, I'm not into that (and it's rather rude to force it upon everyone).
Momo-P

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:37 pm

Momo-P (post: 1235516) wrote:What makes me laugh about that is how most "fat" people in Japan? THEY'RE NOT EVEN FAT! Seriously, even in anime you'll have a "fat" girl and she actually looks fine...in fact, what Japan considers fat? I consider healthy. And I don't mean that "just to sound nice to overweight people", I mean...stick figures?

Sorry, but that's just GROSS.

I'm around 5'6"...some years ago I was worried about my weight so I prayed and worked at it...my goal was 125. Did I make it? HECK YA! PRAISE JESUS! In the end though? I didn't like it...I was happy God had answered my prayers, but then I looked at my cousin...when I was younger I always envied her because she was so super skinny. Now? I ended up putting some weight back on because I didn't want to be like that. Not only did I realize it looked gross, but I like having a chest and figure...granted I never really lost either of those when I lost weight, but still...having some meat on you evens it out. Plus my boyfriend likes it that way as well.

I'd be careful saying this kind of thing, actually.

Just as some people have slow metabolisms, others have faster metabolisms, and people who happen to be thin don't really appreciate being called "gross."

Just a reminder that the insults can swing both ways.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Very good point, Corrie. We shouldn't call thin people "gross" any more than we should call fat people "gross". I do sometimes worry about very thin girls because of the prevalence of eating disorders, but it isn't my place to make assumptions so I try my best not to.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Momo-P wrote:Seriously, I don't mean this bad, but Japan is into that "young look". I mean their national age of consent for girls is 13 if I remember correctly...if they like their girls looking like lolitas, whatever, but sorry, I'm not into that (and it's rather rude to force it upon everyone).

Okay, I take offense at this part of the post. Not like, personally. I'm not Japanese nor do I live there. XD But just to clear the record:

1. Japan is not into that "young look." Lolikons (as they're called) are viewed exactly the same in Japan as pedos are viewed here. Besides considering Japan has anime like freaking Eiken and given a lot of other anime characters' figures I'd say Japan is more into the "physically impossible chest look."

2. Their age of consent is 13. Uh, so? If I'm not mistaken don't you live in Canada? I might be mistaken. BUT ANYWAY. Canada's age of consent was 14 until March of this year. Now it's 16. The age of consent in most of Europe is also 14. To say that Japan is into the "young look" because they have a lower age of consent is ridiculous.

Oh yeah did I forget to mention that in the Bible the age of consent was 13? Darn those horrible Hebrew people, into the "young look."

3. Being skinny is hardly equivalent to looking young. I've seen some scrawny women where I work who are in their 40s. Lemme tell you they don't look like kids. I've also seen some overweight women who look really young. Weight doesn't have as much of an influence on your apparent age as you might think.

4. Japan is doing this for HEALTH reasons, not "Let's make everyone fit our personal standards of attractiveness." Obese people have a higher risk for heart disease and diabetes. In fact if you read the article it says that diabetes is one of the major reasons Japan is implementing this. They may be a little harsh on what they consider overweight but that's not the point. The point is this is for health, not sexual fetishes.

Now if Japan suddenly passed a law that everyone had to dress like Mana, then maybe there'd be a bit of concern. XD

Nate

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:08 am

Popular fashion and public shame are already working overtime to enforce weight limits both in Japan and abroad. Do they really need their government to help?
Cap'n Nick

Postby Syreth » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:43 am

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1235507) wrote:Government intrusion = epic fail.

QFT

Just what Japanese people need: one more thing to potentially cause stress.
Syreth

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:20 am

TallHobbit86 (post: 1235506) wrote:I imagine they allow an exception for that. XD

Well..

[spoiler]Remember Talho from Eureka Seven? She was pregnant and she didn't gain a single pound! We didn't even see a bump, much less a baby![/spoiler]

Anyway, I think this law is a little extreme. I can see if Japan had a problem with overweight citizens, but come on! We're talking about a country who's idea of snack foods are oven-roasted Kansai peas (which are delicious, BTW) and seaweed crackers!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Momo-P » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:31 am

I'd be careful saying this kind of thing, actually.

Just as some people have slow metabolisms, others have faster metabolisms, and people who happen to be thin don't really appreciate being called "gross."

Just a reminder that the insults can swing both ways.

Ya, I apologize for that...just some built up annoyance at how people are. So many expect people to be super skinny, but not everyone thinks that type of image looks good.

And Nate, my post was more in relation to Japan's population and not the whole "we're going to measure you" thing the government is doing. The post I quoted was talking about how the Japanese people will tell you you're fat to your face and whatnot...but as I said, many of those people aren't even remotely fat. It's just an unfortunate (and rather annoying case) where most of the population is very petite all around, so it's like they won't accept anything different...even if that person is actually normal weight and the rest are under.
Momo-P

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:57 am

Momo-P wrote:So many expect people to be super skinny, but not everyone thinks that type of image looks good.

Speaking as the kind of guy that is not into super-skinny women, I wholeheartedly agree.
It's just an unfortunate (and rather annoying case) where most of the population is very petite all around, so it's like they won't accept anything different...even if that person is actually normal weight and the rest are under.

Well it's not that different in America to an extent. Though most people in America won't call you fat to your face. Mostly. XD But what I mean is that all the supermodels and stuff are like super skinny, so it sets that whole unrealistic standard thing. And even though most girls have decent weight some guys will still view them as overweight because of how magazines show women, y'know? In fact it's annoying because a lot of girls who look perfectly fine obsess and say "Oh I'm so fat!" and try to lose weight when they don't need to. -.-

I think it's hard to compare though, because the cultural standard for what is a "normal" weight is vastly different in Japan. Yeah, there are some overweight people but NOTHING like there is in America. A lot of it is to blame on America's sedentary lifestyle (I hear a lot of people bike in Japan), and also the kind of food we eat...really fatty, greasy, huge portions, and so on. There really aren't any blimps of people like we have here in America. In fact not many other countries have that.

That doesn't mean people should be skinnier in Japan or something. Far from it. An unhealthy weight is an unhealthy weight no matter what country you live in. What I'm saying though is to say that since most people in Japan aren't huge, then the people that aren't really all that big are going to be seen as overweight. It's kind of like, if you lived in a world where everyone had an IQ that made them borderline retarded, and there were a handful of guys with an IQ around 100, they're going to be seen as geniuses, even though they're not really that smart overall.

Nate

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:27 am

Nate, I agree with everything you just said. Also, Japan isn't doing this for image reasons. If you read the article, it says they're doing it to reduce health problems. 34.5 and 35.4 or whatever the numbers are aren't "super skinny." Those are roughly the sizes of most people, regardless of race, who are in shape and eating properly. Plus, this law is in Japan; it has no effect on us whatsoever.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Am I underestimating the change in average size due to proportions, or is that a fairly low standard? 33.5... I'm only a few inches below that and I really don't think I could drop much without being unhealthy.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:10 pm

I have no clue what my measurements are u_u/ I'm not that bad.. I don't think.. MEEP O_O
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby RidleyofZebes » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:41 pm

Amazingly, for the first time in a while, I agree with everything Nate has said. :O :thumb:

From my understanding of the article, they're not forcing this law on everyone. It's mainly targeted at the working populace age 40+. They probably couldn't get everyone even if they tryed, considering Japan's dense population.

Did anyone else find the bit about the "7 metabo samurai" funny (sans the death, of course <_<)? :lol:

Tsukuyomi (post: 1235665) wrote:I have no clue what my measurements are u_u/ I'm not that bad.. I don't think.. MEEP O_O

You have nothing to worry about. ;)
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby minakichan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Dieting guidance and education = good.

Financial penalties = not so good.
ImageImage
minakichan

Next

Return to General