Talk About Good Gas Mileage

Talk about anything in here.

Talk About Good Gas Mileage

Postby ashfire » Wed May 21, 2008 4:29 pm

I was watch CBS Sunday Morning and the humorest report Bill Geist did a report on how we could down size our cars more than the Smart Car which is now making it to the USA.
He traveled to a micro car museum which has cars smaller the Smart Car.
They even let him drive one. He went a a gas station put a doller and a half of gas in the car and then he drove it through a super market. It fit in the aisles as he pick items off the shelf and put them in the car.
http://www.microcarmuseum.com is where you can see the different types of cars that have been built over the years and wonder why more cars like these are not built here?
ashfire

Postby Nate » Wed May 21, 2008 4:32 pm

I clicked on the link and I couldn't get past the front page because I was laughing so hard at the guy's name.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ashfire » Wed May 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Click on virtual tour and cars for sell.
ashfire

Postby Sheenar » Wed May 21, 2008 5:24 pm

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/microcars/velam2.html

Isn't this Steve Urkel's car?!? XD
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed May 21, 2008 5:35 pm

wonder why more cars like these are not built here?

Why wonder?

Shao Feng-Li

Postby HiddenWoodchuck » Wed May 21, 2008 5:51 pm

I'm wondering how long one of those little things would last in rush hour traffic... or how safe it would be. People are nuts around here.
Per his request, this user has been temporarily banned
HiddenWoodchuck

Postby sharien chan » Wed May 21, 2008 7:39 pm

I read about this one yesterday that is really aero dynamic, has only 3 wheels, and super light yet made out of super strong materials, and gets 300 miles the gallon...is electric and takes gasoline....
sharien chan

Postby NuclearPeon » Sat May 24, 2008 10:39 pm

It probably looks hideous... ;)
Anime should be taken like all forms of entertainment: with a grain of salt.
NuclearPeon

Postby Nate » Sat May 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Every point made in this thread is invalidated by the fact that the guy who runs the Microcar Museum is named Bruce Weiner.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Technomancer » Sun May 25, 2008 11:44 am

Those are interesting vehicles, even if they are of questionable practicality for most purposes.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Slater » Sat May 31, 2008 5:07 pm

Back in highschool, people used to infer (respectfully: this is CA) that I was homosexual because I drove around in my mom's old purple car, but it got 25 miles to the gallon which I was pretty happy with.

But 300 miles to the gallon? With current gas prices? You could make it look like a clown car, splatter it with any colors and images you wanted, give me bright pink headlights, and a license plate number DORKN<3IT and I would not give a second thought to driving that thing. 300 MPG--heck, anything above 50 MPG--is uber pwnage in my eyes.
Slater

Postby ashfire » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:42 am

I feel embarrassed. I was driving home in my Ford Econoline Club Wagon and was passed by a Smart Car. I could have pushed it to catch him but I would have been speeding in a 40 MPH zone. I only drive 8 miles to work and 8 miles home during the week so I have only put in 10 galions (It doesn't get passed 1/2 tank)in a week since the prices started going up. I could let in go down to a quater tank and fill up in two weeks or so put some gas stations will only let you get $50 worth of gas.
ashfire

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:52 am

Slater (post: 1231710) wrote:Back in highschool, people used to infer (respectfully: this is CA) that I was homosexual because I drove around in my mom's old purple car, but it got 25 miles to the gallon which I was pretty happy with.

But 300 miles to the gallon? With current gas prices? You could make it look like a clown car, splatter it with any colors and images you wanted, give me bright pink headlights, and a license plate number DORKN<3IT and I would not give a second thought to driving that thing. 300 MPG--heck, anything above 50 MPG--is uber pwnage in my eyes.

Haha, I'd take driving a purple car as a sign of being a man among men, but hey, it's CA. ^_~ (purple is Rai's favorite color)

That said, I would not drive anything called a "microcar". Imagine getting into an accident in such small cars. Not for me, thanks. (Of course, I also want a motorcycle, so . . .)

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby creed4 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:37 pm

Slater (post: 1231710) wrote:But 300 miles to the gallon? With current gas prices? You could make it look like a clown car, splatter it with any colors and images you wanted, give me bright pink headlights, and a license plate number DORKN<3IT and I would not give a second thought to driving that thing. 300 MPG--heck, anything above 50 MPG--is uber pwnage in my eyes.

300 Hundred miles is great. I don't care how it looked just get me from point a to b
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Shinja » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:08 pm

royal enfield desil motorcycle get 200 mpg, but you have to get used to only going 65 tops
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby termyt » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 am

ashfire (post: 1231801) wrote:I feel embarrassed. I was driving home in my Ford Econoline Club Wagon and was passed by a Smart Car. I could have pushed it to catch him but I would have been speeding in a 40 MPH zone. I only drive 8 miles to work and 8 miles home during the week so I have only put in 10 galions (It doesn't get passed 1/2 tank)in a week since the prices started going up. I could let in go down to a quater tank and fill up in two weeks or so put some gas stations will only let you get $50 worth of gas.

The $50 thing is a limit by your credit card company on pay at the pump transactions - at least that's what the gas stations around here tell me.

300 MPG sounds too good to be true to me. I wonder if there are serious limitations to it. Like you can only travel 10 miles per day and never go over 20 MPH to get the 300 MPG.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Tundrawolf » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:31 pm

I have a 1979 Chevy LUV truck, 4x4. It has a 1.8L low-tech carbureted 4 cyl motor and a 4 speed manual trans. It gets high 20's gas mileage, and when I put the 5 speed I have for it in, I will be getting mid to high 30's. I hear the compact cars put out today get 30 MPG. I laugh-because this truck is very capable offroad and it still gets as good of mileage as these new economy cars.
Tundrawolf

Postby ashfire » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:13 am

CBS is replaying the segment on the Small Car Museum this morning at the end of Sunday Morning between 10 AM-10:30 AM.
ashfire

Postby Tundrawolf » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:05 pm

I got an actual mileage reading: 27.8 mixed city/highway. It'd be low 30's if it was all highway. Not bad for a 4x4, 4 speed. Put in the 5 speed and I'd probably get over 40! Ha!

Also, is that 300MPG done on a dyno? Is this like those hybrid cars touting 50 MPG, but really getting 30? If so, I'll keep my low-tech minitruck any day of the week. Even if my knees are rubbing on the steering wheel hahaha.
Tundrawolf

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Jiro (Name for my new 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo) gets about 20MPG which is a mix of surface and Interstate (freeway) driving. I'm not complaining in the least, because Jiro takes REGULAR unleaded unlike Ackie-Chan (my dearly departed 1993 Acura Legend) which took Premium.

The one gripe I have about these new cars that some people are forecasting will replace our street machines is that they look EXPENSIVE. Not everyone has that kind of cash to just go out and buy a vehicle.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Return to General