Christian Metal!!!

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby Pantakrator » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:06 am

ThaKladd wrote:Suomi = Finland (in finnish)

Oh, cool. Thanks for the info. You're right about alot of heavy bands coming from Finland specifically and Europe in general. The nordic countries seem to be overflowing with Christian talent... Things are looking up here in the States though with acts like Theocracy & Tourniquet. Let's hope we become the next metal country!!!

<Edit> BTW, does anyone know who invented metal?
Luke 10:22 ... "No one knows who the son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son choses to reveal him"

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby martinloyola » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:34 pm

Oh yeah, I know about three or four words in finn, Baiva, good (pardon spelling as I have only learned them aurally) boika=boy tervatuluoa=welcome,
and my favorite
:eyebrow: Heistanoppa=(roughly translated)
'smell your belly button!!!!' :lol: :dance:
I know more, but I'd have to hear em to understand

my mom has cousins that are full blooded finns who live in Kemi, Finland

Pantakrator, I agree! I hope the U.S grows its metal industry to be at least, ideally *even better*, than what those smaller countries can provide
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby ThaKladd » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:41 pm

Thats cool :)

finnish words starts often with p, not b as : poika (boy), and päivä (day)
(I did not understand heistanhoppa)

tervetuloa!

Pantakrator: I have no idea of who invented metal... but as far I know, it's not that old... (I cant think about that my grandma or grandpa listened to metal), maybe it came along with the electric guitar - and gradually evolved?
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby ThaKladd » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:42 pm

edit: the reply above posted twice.. so I deleted this.
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby martinloyola » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:15 pm

oh yeah!!! i remember now!!!!, anyways, i think that funny word is perhaps a kindof cultural dialectical word from wherever my family's from (if that made any sense whatsoever, please explain it to me ;)

Our radio station here(in plainview) is almost ready to air, what should my first hour of music consist of?
a mix of thrash, goth etc
or should I stick with something more melodic and leadinto the :rock:
I'm just curious as to watch ya'll would air
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

martinloyola

Postby Pantakrator » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:33 am

As to what I would air...

First 10 songs;
I would break in with something light and interesting like VIP's "6-0" from Maahan Kauneuden. Next up would be Oratorio's "Chain of Pain" off The Reality of Existence. Next would be some insane deth-metal courtesy of Pantakrator. I'd go with Eden from their Blod album. While people are still reeling from that pop in a slow one to take it back a bit. I'd go with Disciple's "One More Time" from their Back Again album. Lets pick it up a bit now... I'm thinking Spineless from Tourniquet's Physcosurgery album. Now let's go waaaaaaaay old-school (remember I'm only seventeen). I say Stryper's In God We Trust from... In God We Trust. :lol: Next would be Pelasta Mut from Terapia's Joona album. Now for some thrash/death. How 'bout Mortification's Priests of the Underground from the Relentless album? Now Extol with Grace for Seuccession, from Synergy. End with a looooooooong one... How about power metal genuis Theocracy? I thinking Mountain from his s/t album.

So I would play as follows;
VIP- 6-0 (Maahan Kauneuden)
Oratorio- Chain of Pain (Reality of Existence)
Pantakrator- Eden (Blod)
Disciple- One More Time (Back Again)
Tourniquet- Spineless (Physcosurgery)
Stryper- In God We Trust ("")
Terapia- Pelasta Mut (Joona)
Mortification- Priests of the Underground
Extol- Grace for Succesion (Synergy)
Theocracy- Moutain (s/t)

Well hope that helps some. Yep, I think that's what I would do. Have fun!
Luke 10:22 ... "No one knows who the son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son choses to reveal him"

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby martinloyola » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:47 pm

hmmmmm? well it gives me something to think about that's for sure, I realize now, :red: that whatever I play I better make sure everyone I know is listening :shady: when I go on air or it won't matter what I play :forehead: (except to me :waah!: ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

martinloyola

Postby ThaKladd » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:36 am

Wow, thanks for the tip Pantakrator. I've got the Theocracy Cd, and I love it. It's really great!
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Pantakrator » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:25 am

Ouch! That hurts... I recommend a CD I don't even own. I was gonna buy it on Sunday but a friend convinced me to get Serial Experiments Lain instead. I hope it's good. Maybe I'll get Theocracy this weekend... I go through money like others go through water... :dance:

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby ThaKladd » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:04 pm

hehe :-p *shame on you*

but cool.. I got it before you ;) wow.. I think I am the first one in Norway...

*get it! get it! get it!* ;) cause you made me get it...(and I thank you - now you should thank yourself cause you are forced to buy it :grin: )
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Pantakrator » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:33 pm

*Hello Self,*
I thank you for convincing someone to buy something you don't own. Therefore forcing me to buy it, because I reccomended it. Oh well, at least you have good taste. :lol: :lol:

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:15 pm

If you want some really good christian deathmetal listen tho Gnashing of Teeth.
They are awesome. One more awesome one is As I Lay Dying. They are good too.
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby martinloyola » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:41 pm

OH MY LORD!!! Save me from this hole in my pocket!!!!!
yeah yead, I know, pretty selfish right!!! Not at all!!!
(*ok a little bit*) :laugh:
One day when I have money I'm gonna check out some
groups I hear about on this thread....one of these days....

martinloyola

Postby Zilch » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:58 am

Soul Embraced has some cool stuff, stuff that Evanescence actually used(see thread about Evanescence's fans knowing their roots).

ApologetiX's "Lazy Brains" :lol:
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby skynes » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:05 am

For fans of Stryper: Who would you say they sound like? I'm having difficulty explaining what they sound like as my 80s metal knowledge isn't up to much
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Postby Knives » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:08 am

[quote="Pantakrator"]Hey guys,

I went into this week looking for goth/synthpop, but I wound up being pulled back to the best music ever, METAL!!! This thread is for your favorite "Christian" pure metal bands. What do I mean by pure? Along the lines of Stryper, Tourniquet, Narnia, Extol... What do I not mean? Disciple (my fave), P.O.D., Skillet?!, Pillar... Just to explain a little better... I mean musically not lyricaly. And yes, death is allowed. All hail the mighty Pantakrator!!!

Favorites]
I like POD, pillar thats all right now.
Knives

Postby ThaKladd » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:41 am

nice to see you here victory :) you have a great web page...

you're swedish?

edit: ...and welcome.. I see you are new here ;)
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby ThaKladd » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:59 am

Cool.... (minäkin olen suomalainen... tai.. puoliksi norjalainen ;) )

It's allmost like my brother.. he had many hundred videos... especially martial arts videos... but he trow away(or sold...) everything and started to collect christian videos instead....

Hyvää jatkoa :)
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Pantakrator » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:19 pm

Whoa!!! The man himself is here! Awesome to see you here Victory. Welcome to the CAA. I gotta say thanks for helping me get this Christian metal thing under control. :thumb: Never knew there was so much quality stuff out there till I stumbled upon youre site.

I actually do have a question for you... I checked out some Hammerfall and thought they were just INSANE!!! Can you reccomend any Christian bands along those lines? I can't say I agree with alot of Hammerfall's stuff...

Theocracy is awesome! Have to get that CD soon...

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby Knives » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:43 am

VictoryZine wrote:Hello and metal!

There's (at least) one weak spot in the christian metal community and it's spelled "power metal". Not many good power metal bands can be found (which disturbes me since I love power metal) but there is a couple I recommend you to check out:

Treasure Seeker - Tribute to the past. This is a so called Supergroup, consisting members from Seventh Avenue, Lightmare and other bands. The singer is nowadays in a secular band called Dionysus, so he's class.
They're playing covers from famous christian hard rock bands such as Bride, Stryper, Jerusalem among others. Pure class!
But it's very hard to find, so if you find it, get it as fast as possible!

There's another good power metal band called Eterna, from Brazil. Reminds a lot of early Helloween era. It's easier to find, try out their album "Papyrus."

And don't forget Rob Rock's solo albums...!

What the heck actually defines powermetal,and metal and rapcore and and alternative?
Knives

Postby martinloyola » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:50 pm

yo Knives!!! that is an execellent question..........
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but really all classifications of metal end up getting distorted anymore cuz of style mixes and what not,
really you have to go from band to band, some just end up more like one group than the other to me
what'd yall think?

martinloyola

Postby righteous_slave » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:43 am

I agree. Anymore bands are lifting so much from so many different sources that classification is getting dificult. I mean, alternative used to mean anything that didn't fit into the common classifications, the it turned into hard rock w/ wierd "artisic" lyrics. Rapcore used to be rapping over heavy metal guitars and rap beats, now it's anyone who raps and/or screams and/sings and/or talks over metal guitars or electronica or anything else. We keep looking back and changing the definitions. The only constant is death metal. :rock: Unfortunately, it was that genre's limits that turned into a short lived phenom. Bands wanted to move outside the constraints, and fans got tired of the same sounds. Excuse the tangent, please.

Noboby agrees on the classifications anyway. What one person calls old school hXc someone else might think is NXYXHXC. One man's power metal is another's classic metal. It's an endless debate until someone writes a dictionary. And even then someone else will write a completeluy different one. :lol:
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Zedian » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:12 am

Yeah I certainly listen to some Christian Metal bands...I know I'm a little late on this discussion. But all of these I wouldn't consider Metal.

Blindside
Project 86
Mineral
Norma Jean
Lacuna Coil

Although NJ are more hardcore then anything else and Mineral have a more indie-emo sound to them...like Rites of Spring or Sunny Day Real Estate.
Zedian

Postby skynes » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:38 am

I got a question: What bands could you say Stryper sound like?
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Postby Kkun » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:40 pm

Uh, I have no idea how to classify them, Skynes, since I think I'm the first person to answer your question, but I just wanted to point out that talking about Stryper makes me think of the beginning of Five Iron Frenzy's Proof The Youth Are Revolting album...

As for metal, I like Christian metal. Blindside (their old stuff is truely metal, but I like their music as a whole), Project 86, Soul Embraced, Living Sacrifice, Eso-charis, Demon Hunter...

Does anyone like Haste The Day? My friend said that their new CD Burning Bridges is awesome... I've listened to their EP That They May Know You and it's incredible. Great lyrics, great beats, awesome guitars, black metal-ish vocals. They are awesome. :rock:
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby martinloyola » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:05 pm

The thing is, on style definition as a whole, all music is getting harder to classify, back in the day, (classical music for instance) there was around fifty years of that one kind of music roughly 1700-1750 (someone correct me if I'm wrong :sweat: ) however, as technology plays a bigger role in the music scene, music also began to transform faster and faster, until about the twentieth century, major changes in styles happened at the least in half a century, during the twentieth century it was about every decade, and the last ten to fifteen years have seen a convolution :eh: of all the genres, (an almost melodic rapcore with a little techno jazz, Kekal as an example)
The general question shouldn't be really, what is this music like?, but rather, how does one go about making a musicall style? What are its constituent parts?, e.g. swing is characterized by its scalar basis on specific chords and the swing rythmn,
chant is usually one voice or two at octaves or fifths moving melismatically in a mode
and in creating metal music is where we will find a true definition of "metal" and all its glorious subgenrization (cool word :lol: )

martinloyola

Postby martinloyola » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:06 pm

I've just been listening to Saint's "The Return" from their 1999 album and comparing it to Narnia's "The Return of Aslan" from "The Great Awakening" cd
I think they're both stinkin' awesome, but I like Carl Grimmark's work best, but I like some of the harmonic motion in the other one, what do ya'll think? should we have a poll on the best instrumental work done by a metal band? It'd be interesting to see the results. ;)

martinloyola

Postby greyscale42 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:17 pm

All I have to say is KNASHING OF TEETH!!!!! :rock: The greatest christian metal band to grace an audience with its presence. :rock:
greyscale42

Postby Pantakrator » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:02 pm

Hello, hello, hello!!! Man, I just downloaded Touniquets new album, and it's insane... I can't even belive this band is called Tourniquet! They have completely changed. They have an almost doom (not black) metal sound to them now. It is just awesome! Quick go to http://www.emusic.com and download they're album. BTW, emusic is completely legal. :thumb:

ImageImage
Pantakrator

Postby esuteru » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:00 pm

[color=996666]
Whoever you are
I hope you'll be alright
I hope you'll let the good Lord
Fight your fights
No matter what you hear
Whispered in your ear
Just remember that you're loved tonight
Loved tonight