Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun May 18, 2008 11:14 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1227310) wrote:Steel Ball Run I think I'd have to dig a little more. I liked the sample posted but when I googled more I wasn't too impressed but really didn't find many pictures (most of what I did find was just cover art and I didn't like it).... found a lot of literal steel balls pictures and stuff though :D

Yeah, the covers. They are very deliberately fruity but tend not to reflect content, if that is what you're on about. A couple throw-away characters wind up hit with the short draw of the ugly stick, but on the whole it has a surreal charm to it.
Fish and Chips

Postby minakichan » Mon May 19, 2008 10:11 am

I really want mangas though to see the layouts and different shots and stuff like that.

OH! Oh oh oh! You're looking for manga for compo and panelling?

Stephanie Folse writes some pretty awesome manga analyses on her LJ; the ones I found most helpful were for Fruits Basket and Death Note; they seriously opened my eyes and gave me that epitomal "aha!" moment. It's a little elementary if you know the basics of manga compo, but if not, it'll totally open up your world.

As for actual series (not that Furuba or Desuno aren't great places to start, since their mangaka rock at compo), I've always felt that shoujo (especially the ridiculously fluffy romantic ones, but not overbearing cute ones) more useful than shounen-- some of the panelling can be a little nonsensical, but the effects and innovation trump shounen and seinen by miles. Shimaki Ako's most recent works like 1/3 no Kareshi and Boku ni Natta Watashi feature pretty simple and clean panels but very elaborate intrapanel layout, IMO. Air Gear is obviously great for action poses and such, but the composition itself is wonderfully dynamic and effective; I think a lot of OEL mangaka make the mistake of breaking too many panel borders and trying to overdo dynamism, but Air Gear is a great example of saturating it without going overboard.

Agh. I know there are ton of other great examples, but I can't remember them. Will get back to you if I can.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby EricTheFred » Mon May 19, 2008 11:23 am

Every once in a while someone posts a link that has me fighting to not use teen speak from thirty years ago to ooh and aw over it (like, Far-out, Man! Wicked! Righteous!)

I'm not kidding. A faint echo of my teenage self still struggles to try to use my mouth (or fingers) to say dorky crap like that. I promise to continue containing myself.

Back on topic, this would be one of those links.

I would love to see this lady break down "Mushishi". And to the original poster on this question, (Scarecrow) that would be my recommendation for awesome use of layout. Not so much on stylized artwork. Mushishi has very realistic artwork (can you imagine? Japanese women in a Japanese comic book who actually look Japanese? Incredible, say I) However, the power behind this work is something to behold.

The really cool thing is, they managed to catch the essence of the artist's ability in the anime, too.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby yukoxholic » Mon May 19, 2008 3:49 pm

As of late my manga-reading has become a little lackluster. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend me some good titles. I love mangas that have a solid story with little to no derailed plot twists. I also don't like to read anything bigger than a B-Cup a.k.a I'm not too thrilled with ALOT of fan service as I believe it adds very little to the story (if any at all). I don't mind violence but I don't want to see three pages of heads exploding in various graphic ways. Bad language also isn't a problem.

One of my favorite series is Emma by Kaoru Mori (I cannot wait for Shirley to release!) because I love historical pieces. I've read those on-going titles like One Piece, slice of life like Aqua/Aria & Yotsuba&!, and Shutterbox but I'm pretty much open to anything genre wise. I'm not a huge fan of Samurai pieces although I will read some if it has a good story.

I also wouldn't mind some new OEL titles as well.

Thanks in advance! :D
yukoxholic

Postby EricTheFred » Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 pm

yukoxholic (post: 1227471) wrote:I also don't like to read anything bigger than a B-Cup

(Heh. I guess "DearS" is out...)

My favorite solid story in my ongoing reading is "Hikaru no Go". The dramatic tale of a middle-school kid who aspires to be a professional Go player is probably not all that inspiring sounding, but it is actually very good.

Other suggestions:
Train + Train is entertaining in a weird way. My only complaint is, it is too compacted. The same storyline needed to be stretched out and played in more depth. Still, it is a nice story.

"Ghost Hunt" - If you're into spirit-chasing tales, this is a good one. One of the best. "Mushishi" would be another (and it has fantastic artwork) but it doesn't have as much of a continuing story.

And what ought to be a ridiculous piece of shounen crap, Negima, has a suprisingly solid story line (although it is by no means a 'realistic' story, it is a fun one.). It's one of the titles I look forward for months for the next volume (your avatar, xxxHolic, is another.)

And on the comedy side (more comedic than Negima, I mean), the still too-short series Hayate the Combat Butler is a lot of fun.

I'll come up with more if others don't. This was off the top of my head.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby yukoxholic » Wed May 21, 2008 5:30 am

EricTheFred (post: 1227595) wrote:(Heh. I guess "DearS" is out...)

My favorite solid story in my ongoing reading is "Hikaru no Go". The dramatic tale of a middle-school kid who aspires to be a professional Go player is probably not all that inspiring sounding, but it is actually very good.

Other suggestions:
Train + Train is entertaining in a weird way. My only complaint is, it is too compacted. The same storyline needed to be stretched out and played in more depth. Still, it is a nice story.

"Ghost Hunt" - If you're into spirit-chasing tales, this is a good one. One of the best. "Mushishi" would be another (and it has fantastic artwork) but it doesn't have as much of a continuing story.

And what ought to be a ridiculous piece of shounen crap, Negima, has a suprisingly solid story line (although it is by no means a 'realistic' story, it is a fun one.). It's one of the titles I look forward for months for the next volume (your avatar, xxxHolic, is another.)

And on the comedy side (more comedic than Negima, I mean), the still too-short series Hayate the Combat Butler is a lot of fun.

I'll come up with more if others don't. This was off the top of my head.

Well, I better classify. It's not that I will not read anything bigger than that size since I've read Read or Die the manga. It's just I really hate it when characters continuously keep talking about the woman's chest and it's size. It could just be because I am a woman and I just don't find the boob jokes all that funny. ^__^

DearS I read briefly in a store. It was funny but I kind of lost interest in it.

I've actually read Train + Train because the creator if Read or Die was writing it. This is a good series. :D

I've heard of Negima and Mushishi, never heard of Ghost Hunt. So, I will most likely check out those titles. Does the Mushishi manga follow the anime at all?

Thanks EricTheFred! :)
yukoxholic

Postby minakichan » Wed May 21, 2008 8:19 am

It could just be because I am a woman and I just don't find the boob jokes all that funny. ^__^

I'm a woman (I think) and I love boob jokes =/

Hrm... manga with a decent storyline... why ya gotta be so picky? ^^
(excuse me if you've read this)
You might like Saiunkoku Monogatari; it's historical, ancient China with a splash of comedy and a little romance. I haven't read very much of Emma so I can't compare, but I imagine it shouldn't be too dissimilar except Saiunkoku has a lot of political intrigue.

Will think of others later.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby EricTheFred » Wed May 21, 2008 10:02 am

yukoxholic (post: 1228031) wrote:Does the Mushishi manga follow the anime at all?

The anime is one of the best jobs of sticking to the manga that I've seen yet, both in stories and in art style. But even though with the anime you've already 'read' the manga, there is something truly magical about the original paper. Check it out on the bookshelves to see what I mean.

I did the same with DearS, by the way. It was mildly entertaining, just didn't hold me.

EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 am

I can also heavily advise Mushishi. It is episodic reading but I enjoy it, and that is incredibly difficult to do.
Fish and Chips

Postby yukoxholic » Wed May 21, 2008 12:28 pm

minakichan (post: 1228067) wrote:I'm a woman (I think) and I love boob jokes =/

Hrm... manga with a decent storyline... why ya gotta be so picky? ^^
(excuse me if you've read this)
You might like Saiunkoku Monogatari]

I don't know jokes about breasts just don't thrill me. Not to say I haven't laughed about certain jokes that regarded a lady's chest but some just go too far with it and it becomes just plain annoying >___<! But everyone has their preferences I suppose! :)

I've actually pulled that from the shelf and browsed through that manga like DearS it didn't hold my interest o___o Real/Fake Princess was by far (IMHO) the better historical read but the artwork was better in Saiunkoku. Thank you for the recommendation though! I'll take any others you throw at me! ^__^

EricTheFred (post: 1228091) wrote:The anime is one of the best jobs of sticking to the manga that I've seen yet, both in stories and in art style. But even though with the anime you've already 'read' the manga, there is something truly magical about the original paper. Check it out on the bookshelves to see what I mean.

Fish and Chips (post: 1228100) wrote:I can also heavily advise Mushishi. It is episodic reading but I enjoy it, and that is incredibly difficult to do.

Ok, now I must really check out this series since two have agreed it's a good read! :D Thanks!
yukoxholic

Postby minakichan » Wed May 21, 2008 1:10 pm

I don't know jokes about breasts just don't thrill me.

Eheh, I'm just kidding. I like boob jokes in real life with people I know, but not in my anime.

Oh! I loved Real/Fake Princess~ Yay for Taiwanese peeps =D (Still liked Saiunkoku better though.) Have you heard of Divine Melody? It's by the same manhuaka as Princess, although it's way more fantasy than historical fiction. It's super crazysauce melodramatic, and therefore a personal favorite, so I'd recommend it. (It does have crazy gender-bending bisexuality in it though, so if you don't want to see something like that, avoid it.)
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Aleolus » Sat May 24, 2008 12:14 am

I just found a few series that I'm interested in. Can you all tell me anything about them? Ashita no Yoichi, Maken-ki, and Sekirei.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 24, 2008 2:05 pm

All three of those are generic current generation harem titles. Haven't read them extensively, but I don't think they're worth anyone's time.

Ashita no Yoichi: The ineffectual male lead is the descendant of a demon-hunting clan; the buxom female lead is a cat demon assigned to protect him. They proceed to cause fanservice.

Maken-ki: The ineffectual male lead is a non-magical student enrolled in a magic school; the buxom female lead is a childhood friend with destiny powers. They proceed to cause fanservice.

Sekirei: Alright, I'm going to ruin my pattern and just recommend that you not even consider this one. It's a softcore-H title and barely pretends to be anything else.
uc pseudonym

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat May 24, 2008 3:57 pm

All right, so guys, I went to Barnes N' Noble today, and I checked out the manga section. I noticed that they had some Fullmetal Alchemist manga there, but there were two different books for volume 1 (or at least the two had different cover art). Anybody know what that's about? Haha. Just wondering.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat May 24, 2008 4:04 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1229335) wrote:All right, so guys, I went to Barnes N' Noble today, and I checked out the manga section. I noticed that they had some Fullmetal Alchemist manga there, but there were two different books for volume 1 (or at least the two had different cover art). Anybody know what that's about? Haha. Just wondering.

It was probably just a different printing. One probably had the Viz logo on the binding with the planet, while the other just had the V, right? If so, it's just a difference in printing, and I doubt there's any major change in the text itself.

That is, unless you found vol. 1 of the manga and vol. 1 of the novel...I kind of doubt that, though, as you'd have found out pretty quickly that it was not only right-to-left, but also full of text instead of pictures. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby EricTheFred » Sat May 24, 2008 7:28 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1229303) wrote:They proceed to cause fanservice.

This just in: UC has released the official shounen analog of "Hilarity ensues"!

EricTheFred

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1229338) wrote:It was probably just a different printing. One probably had the Viz logo on the binding with the planet, while the other just had the V, right? If so, it's just a difference in printing, and I doubt there's any major change in the text itself.

That is, unless you found vol. 1 of the manga and vol. 1 of the novel...I kind of doubt that, though, as you'd have found out pretty quickly that it was not only right-to-left, but also full of text instead of pictures. XD

LOL! XD All right, thanks RD.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Aleolus » Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 am

[quote="uc pseudonym (post: 1229303)"]Ashita no Yoichi: The ineffectual male lead is the descendant of a demon-hunting clan]

No, you're thinking of Omamori Himari, a series I have read a good portion of and actually quite enjoied. Ashita no Yoichi is the main character being a samurai trained in the mountains of modern-day Japan comes to a dojo in the city to train, which has 5 different sisters living in it, who then proceed to cause fanservice.
If I may... links to summaries of the two.
Omamori Himari
Ashita no Yoichi

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby yukoxholic » Sun May 25, 2008 10:40 am

minakichan (post: 1228155) wrote:Eheh, I'm just kidding. I like boob jokes in real life with people I know, but not in my anime.

Oh! I loved Real/Fake Princess~ Yay for Taiwanese peeps =D (Still liked Saiunkoku better though.) Have you heard of Divine Melody? It's by the same manhuaka as Princess, although it's way more fantasy than historical fiction. It's super crazysauce melodramatic, and therefore a personal favorite, so I'd recommend it. (It does have crazy gender-bending bisexuality in it though, so if you don't want to see something like that, avoid it.)

Real/Fake Princess is still one of my favorite mangas! ^__^ I have heard of Divine Melody but like you've stated not a big fan of the gender bending thang though the story sounded perfect. XD
yukoxholic

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Aleolus wrote:No, you're thinking of Omamori Himari, a series I have read a good portion of and actually quite enjoied. Ashita no Yoichi is the main character being a samurai trained in the mountains of modern-day Japan comes to a dojo in the city to train, which has 5 different sisters living in it, who then proceed to cause fanservice.

Initially, I must apologize for the mistake. However, this is actually pretty funny: the reason I made that mistake was because when I looked up the manga to see if I remembered it, the cover was pretty much interchangeable with Omamori Himari's (your link has the second volume cover with one of the non-lead females). Naturally, that's because both leads from both series are pretty much interchangeable.

Anyway, as far as Ashita no Yoichi goes, you seem to know the premise. That's all you really need to know for this kind of manga. This one is overall tame and remains pretty episodic and one note.
uc pseudonym

Postby animewarrior » Sun May 25, 2008 2:37 pm

Anyone have any fantasy/action titles to recommend? Violence isn't a big problem, however gore isn't my style...swearing isn't prefered...and please note any nudity/"bad religion" ....
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Prince Asbel » Sun May 25, 2008 3:10 pm

animewarrior (post: 1229533) wrote:Anyone have any fantasy/action titles to recommend? Violence isn't a big problem, however gore isn't my style...swearing isn't prefered...and please note any nudity/"bad religion" ....

I may have a recommendation in the next day or so, as I'm about to finish a short series here. So far, so good. But I'll wait just to be safe.
Prince Asbel

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun May 25, 2008 3:45 pm

animewarrior (post: 1229533) wrote:Anyone have any fantasy/action titles to recommend? Violence isn't a big problem, however gore isn't my style...swearing isn't prefered...and please note any nudity/"bad religion" ....

If you're thinking magical girl and haven't read the series yet, Magic Knight Rayearth is a series I still find pretty enjoyable. In total, it's 6 volumes, but there are two separate series: MKR I and MKR II, both 3 volumes each. Personally, I didn't care much for II myself (slower and an ending that just didn't resonate with me like the first one did), but I is great.

As far as content goes, there's only barbie doll/Sailor Moon-esque nudity, during the magical girl changing scenes. Some characters use magic circles, and if you read MKR II, one character is revealed as being a "god." Other than that, though, the series is fairly clean, and you won't find much that you wouldn't see in a Final Fantasy game.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Thu May 29, 2008 6:14 pm

if you want good fantasy/action, you could try Fullmetal Alchemist. there's a bit of blood but it's rather tasteful. about 3 or 4 swear words per volume. and i don't believe there's any offensive nudity featured in the series.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby PhantomNinja » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Huh. Good Manga.

Personally I like Tsubasa a lot. Great story line. Anything by, in fact, CLAMP is nice.

Vampire Knight is also good. A bit bloody, pretty clean language. The same author does Meru Puri (a four book series that is really adorable).

Hana Kimi - The series is complete, and it is really great! About a girl who crossdresses to get into an all boys high school to be with a high jumper she admires. Very fluffy. The drama is mildly amusing as well.

Also. Read Ouran. If people have suggested it already, I will doubly suggest it. It. ROCKS. Very humorous.
PhantomNinja

Postby IchiTone » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:46 am

I tell you what....both of you are right about how important art is. (responding to an old post by jon_jinn & mai)

After getting a subscription to Shonen Jump and devouring manga such as Naruto, Bleach and even Yu-Gi-Oh!, each issue was put down after reading only those specific manga...I glanced at everything else art-wise (Hikaru no Go, Yu Yu Hakusho, and especially One Piece because it was SUCH a different style than most manga) and simply didn't invest my time in them. How big a mistake that was! At one point I found myself without any new manga to read, with the only stuff left being the above-mentioned material. And now? One Piece is one of my all-time favorites as the art really grew on me, and I'm catching up on Yu Yu Hakusho and Hikaru no Go as best I can. While art is certainly important and you want to be able to appreciate what you're looking at, don't allow it to throw you off too quickly either. You might miss some great treasure. :-)

Intellectual Faves:
Death Note (horror/suspense with strong religious overtones: main characters attempting to outwit and outsmart each other at every step...most entertaining and well written manga I've ever read)
Monster (also horror/suspense that has a main character seeking to justify a mistake he made which lead to the birth of the world's deadliest serial killer)
Anything by Miyazaki (such as Nausicaa, a tale of nature and man, as well as the evils of war...the manga contains content the movie didn't cover)

Comedy Faves:
Sgt. Frog (frog-like aliens invade earth...move in, buy Gundam action figures & come up with fiendish plots to overthrow mankind that never work, much like Pinky and the Brain...hilarity ensues!)
GTO (and even more so, the prequel series "Shonan Junai Gumi....so long as you don't mind doses of crass humor, you will DIE of laughter ^_^)

"Fighting manga" Faves:
Flame of Recca (decent, well-written story with a good blend of action, hint of romance, plenty of comedic moments, and entertaining fights)
One Piece (loooong manga, but if you're willing to give it a shot, you'll find very engaging battles, tons of side-splitting comedy, and a variety of pirate villains you couldn't dream up if you tried!)
Yu Yu Hakusho (does deal with the supernatural, but if that doesn't bother you then you'll really enjoy this classic fighting manga)

"Dark" Faves:
Berserk (wow..."bloody" or "gory" don't even come close...still, if you have a strong stomach and love a good read, you'll find a medieval story woven with the supernatural and the horrors of man)
Battle Royale (again very much on the gore [and adult situations] side, this manga deals with the evil and mistrust found within all of us, as a group of young kids forced to kill each other learn the hard way)

Hope these help at all. Ja...
IchiTone

Postby Aleolus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:28 pm

What can you all tell me about a manga series called Hanna of the Z? I've read the first three chapters, and it confused the hell out of me

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:40 pm

That's a gag manga, so it isn't going to make any more sense than it does now. Basically, it's just the premise that she can regenerate from anything and joins a group of people who all have similar strange (and presumably funny) abilities. I've read a fair bit of it and that's about all the series is.
uc pseudonym

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Never heard of it, so out of curiousity I did a quick search and found what I suspect are the same three scanlated chapters as you. (listed on a certain major scanlator's site that can't be mentioned here for very good legal reasons?)

I was able to follow it, but frankly it's too fanservicey for me.

EricTheFred

Postby KBMaster » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:49 pm

How bad is the content in the series "Monster"? It seems like a very intriguing manga, but I don't like going into a series completely oblivious to anything offensive and then getting shocked.
KBMaster

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews