What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:53 pm

ich1990 wrote:Between the random capitalization, mispelling of the word mispelling (as well as a few other words), creative use of the apostrophe, bad grammar, and needless repetition of the word of, I would guess that you are making a point.

Have you read the original version of Robinson Crusoe? It's like this all the time. My version even has footnotes pointing out where he made corrections in later editions. Apparently they decided that leaving in the original spelling added authenticity or some such. Dafoe also liked to invent his own contractions, such as "t" for "ed" or just adding an apostrophe when he didn't want to write some of the letters.

ich1990 wrote:Currently reading "1984" by George Orwell. Personally I am not really impressed.

How far are you? While I found certain parts of the book dull (and the middle third essentially unnecessary), I think the overall scope of the dystopia is interesting. What is it you find unimpressive?
uc pseudonym

Postby ich1990 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:How far are you? While I found certain parts of the book dull (and the middle third essentially unnecessary), I think the overall scope of the dystopia is interesting. What is it you find unimpressive?

I am currently about half way through it, so I am probably smack dab in the middle of the unneccessary 1/3rd. I am impressed by the amount of thought that went into creating this alternate reality, but, after you get past the initial "new culture shock" part, the book seems quite drab.

I really like the way he created newspeak and describes the constant paranoia, but after he allows you to get fully immersed in this grimy new world, it seems like not much happens. I am hoping that it will get better once I get further into it.

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say that I am impressed but not engaged.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:18 pm

Love and Sex with Robots by David Levy

I saw the author featured on the Colbert Report some time ago, so when a friend had this lying around I gave it a second glance. Right now I've skimmed much of it and that is about all I'll do. It's a funny book, but not in an intentional way. Also, he doesn't even try to come off as anything other than a sad, lonely man.

He makes a case that people will continue to have sex with inanimate objects, but that's nothing new. What interested me, and where he utterly fails to convince, is the idea that programs could eventually become complex enough to develop something that could realistically be called a personality.

ich1990 wrote:I really like the way he created newspeak and describes the constant paranoia, but after he allows you to get fully immersed in this grimy new world, it seems like not much happens. I am hoping that it will get better once I get further into it.

An event will soon happen that improves things, in my opinion. It's not exactly new material, but it develops certain aspects and is fairly interesting.
uc pseudonym

Postby NekoChan_C » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Right now I am reading a few books... I am finishing up "Saving your marriage before it starts" by Les and Leslie Parrot (great book for the engaged or newlywed couple! ^_^), When God Doesn't Make Sense by Dr. James Dobson (who is the Man when it comes to family issues) and... American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. Strong language and subject matter, not something I'd let my preteen read, but still VERY good so far... I just finished "When the Wind Blows" by James Patterson, who is a master of criminal suspense reads. Yay, me! ^_^
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Closing in on the end of Terry Pratchett's "Pyramids." Can't seem to stop reading Discworld novels. In fact, there's a book sale at the library today and I found "Interesting Times," "Soul Music" and "Thud" for a total of $1.50. Oh, and a decent-sized hardcover Poe collection for $1.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby yukoxholic » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Finished Good Morning Midnight today and started: Be With You by Takuji Ichikawa which I'll most likely finish by the end of this weekend. ^__^
yukoxholic

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:15 pm

Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church by N.T. Wright
GhostontheNet

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:40 pm

Twilight of the Idols by Friedrich Nietzsche

This is my first extended reading of Nietzsche. So far I am a bit disappointed, as I was expecting more nihilism and thought that in some ways reflects mine. For the moment I am attempting to withhold judgment until I finish the complete work.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:32 pm

Just finished Dean Koontz's The Darkest Evening of the Year. I will be starting Duma Key by Stephen King tomorrow.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Just finished "1984" by George Orwell.

UC was right, it does get a lot better towards the end. However, just to warn you, it is not a normal book. Rather than follow one main story line through to the end, it seems to jump onto random tangents. It follows these tangents just long enough to find another tangent and so on. The end result is that the story wanders its way to the conclusion, therefore, some sections of the book are more or less interesting than others. Nonetheless, it was a fairly involving book when you consider the whole.

Next up, "Surprised by Joy" by C.S. Lewis.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Right now... As far as non-manga fiction goes....

1. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer
2. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
3. Prince Caspian - CS Lewis
4. Violet Dawn - Brandilyn Collins
mysngoeshere56

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:40 pm

Past Master by R.A. Lafferty

Its the story of Thomas More (the man for all seasons) who is plucked out of the past to save a imploding Utopia. Its a rather interesting philosophical science fiction story, thus far.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:18 pm

Reading my textbooks for school. XP
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Maledicte » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Reading Le Morte d'Arthur for school (in its original form! It's taking me forever to read! "Sir, by your avyse I woll let cry a turnemente..." >_<)

Also reading Dearly Devoted Dexter, and being horrified and laughing out loud at the same time.
Maledicte

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu May 01, 2008 1:21 pm

Boogiepop And Others by Kouhei Kadono illutrations by Kouji Ogata.This was the book that started the entire Boogiepop Phenomena including the
anime series.
The Philosopher And The Druids by Philip Freeman.Around 90 B.C. the Greek philosopher Poisodonus took a trip into the heart of Celtic Gaul and wrote what he found there.The book is based on what little is known about
Posidonus and his writings.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 01, 2008 1:26 pm

What Causes War? by Greg Cashman

Basic sociological theory, though this is more a survey of the scholarship. It started out simplistic enough to make me worry, but fortunately has a steep difficulty curve.
uc pseudonym

Postby Amzi Live » Fri May 02, 2008 4:40 am

Voice of the Martyrs Martyrs, by DC Talk,and Voice of the Martys
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 02, 2008 12:38 pm

"The Humanism of Existentialism" by Jean-Paul Sartre

Interesting essay. I like Sartre as a philosopher; he thinks clearly and rationally. But despite my enjoyment of his writing and thought, I think I profoundly disagree with his conclusions concerning the meaning of an existentialist world.
uc pseudonym

Postby Alice » Fri May 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Worlds of the Imperium, by Keith Laumer (early steampunk)

The Miracle at Speedy Motors, by Alexander McCall Smith (mystery)

The Great Divorce, by C. S. Lewis (really, really good!)

A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Sae-chan » Fri May 02, 2008 9:54 pm

I just finished reading Blink, by Ted Dekker. It was really, really good - basically, Seth, a college student with an IQ of 195, is granted with an amazing gift. The gift to see possible futures. Miriam, an renegade ex-princess of Saudi Arabia, meets up with him. Unfortunately, Miriam's father, adopted father, and supposed-to-be-father-in-law send people after her... but Seth manages to save them both more than a couple of times.

Throughout the book Seth wonders at the existence of God. In the beginning of the book, he believes in God, but is more of a deist. Then, when he receives his gift, he begins to doubt all gods, becoming more like an agnostic or atheist. By his reasoning, God is supposed to know the future, because He's all-seeing. But if there are possible futures, then God must not know the future, which conflicts with his previous reasoning - that God is all-seeing...

Anyway, it was a very good book, and I recommend it. ;)
Sae-chan

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue May 06, 2008 6:20 am

Today I have begun the privilege of reading The Hobbit to my little sisters. I'm so excited; Tolkien is the master, and even reading a book that is more whimsical and cheerful than LotR reminds me of the years where I practically lived for Lord of the Rings. I really hope that, in time, my sisters will come to love it too.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 07, 2008 12:46 pm

The Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios

It probably would have been better to read this before I took any physics classes, but a refresher doesn't hurt. The main reason I'm reading is because I'm curious how physics operates at superhuman levels.
uc pseudonym

Postby Manillien » Wed May 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Just finished "The Faith" - The History of Christianity by Brian Moynahan. I think it really helped to flesh out my identity as a Christian a bit. I would recommend it to any Christian. Don't know if Moynahan himself is a Christian, but he presents everything very diplomatically.
"Do all that you have in mind, for God is with you" - 1 Chronicles 17:2

"A Christian is a cross product" - Christomath humorist

"Way to breathe, no-breath" - James "Jimbo" Jones
Manillien

Postby eternalprincess » Wed May 07, 2008 2:02 pm

I just finished Black by Ted Dekker this morning.

I am currently reading Dragon by Clive Cussler as of this afternoon. XD ^.^

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby GeneD » Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 am

This thread is amazingly depressing when I haven't been reading anything besides textbooks for what seems like forever! :eh:
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I have been meaning to read some Dostoevsky for quite a while now, so I'm glad I have an excuse. Though it took me a little while to get into the novel, I'm enjoying the unreliable narrator. It's definitely the kind of book that I don't want to respond to until the end, though.

GeneD wrote:This thread is amazingly depressing when I haven't been reading anything besides textbooks for what seems like forever!

Nothing's stopping you from listing your textbooks... though I must admit as an English/Bible major my textbooks are a bit more appropriate to this thread than for someone with a specialization in, say, math.
uc pseudonym

Postby GeneD » Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Try biochemistry. I officially have a textbook from hell though. It's really awful! Oh, and most of my "textbooks" are in the form of lecture notes.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Thu May 08, 2008 7:48 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]Great Expectations.

...yeah. Oh how "great" they are...[/sarcasm][/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby bigsleepj » Fri May 09, 2008 2:28 pm

Notes from the Underground was an excellent book. But like Crime and Punishment it took me a long time to work through it. Its a difficult book, but very rewarding.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby yukoxholic » Sat May 10, 2008 6:49 am

The Private Journals of Edvard Munch: We Are Flames Which Pour Out of the Earth by Edvard Munch.

All I can say so far is....Wow.
yukoxholic

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner