What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby minakichan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Recently watched 21, Becoming Jane, Rashomon, and Rear Window.

Some pretty good stuff.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm

I just finished watching Big Fish directed by Tim Burton. It was fascinating to see Tim Burton drop his usual cinematic style of Gothic Expressionism to employ the violent bright shades of the older German Expressionism. The style was well employed in a film that looks at the prospects and perils of the American dream through the lense of a teller of tall tales. It reminded me a lot of an old pastor I used to know before it became prudent to move on to another church. I'm thinking about giving it to him in gratitude for the years I spent at that church. The film seemed remarkably personal to both Burton and I as they involve coming to terms with the older generation in all its glories and failings. On that note, I'll now respond to some of posts written to me.

Scarecrow wrote:Yea, Jim Henson was fantastic. I'm still waiting for a director to be as experimental and imaginative as him but no one has really taken the risk and stepped up to the plate.
GrubbTheFragger (post: 1215370) wrote:I still need to watch scanner Darkly heard alot of good things about it. Anyways watched The mist the other night. Love the two disc set with a black and white version of the movie that was the directors vision. Also concerning someone steping up to the plate after Jim hensen i think Tim Burton is the next jim hensen or soon will be. He is the most daring film maker i can think of off hand except and this one is very close the director of Hellboy, and pans labyrinth comes very very close with the costumes and stuff.

If anyone ever asks me who my favorite director is, I always respond that its an even match between Tim Burton, Jim Henson, and Hayao Miyazaki. These three directors have each discovered a certain special cinematic niche that only they are qualified to fulfill. If anyone wishes, I can share some of my thoughts on what makes each of these directors so special. On the other hand, this means that each director is irreplacable. Tim Burton is not the new Jim Henson. Tim Burton is Tim Burton and Jim Henson was/is (perhaps he continues his art in heaven) Jim Henson. Even so, Tim Burton's sheer creative potential manifested from early on and continues to do so. Therefore, I happily endorse Burton's work and look forward to whatever he has in store for us.

Now, as to A Scanner Darkly, knowing some of your own tastes in movies, I can see no reason you shouldn't watch it. Its a much different sort of Cyberpunk fim from movies like Blade Runner or Renaissance, though. So don't bring in expectations from those movies and you should be fine.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:47 am

Tonight I was in the mood for some of my favorite movies, so I watched Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal and Nosferatu The Vampyre. They went together quite well thematically and cinematically.
GhostontheNet

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:42 pm

watched Infernal Affairs again two days ago. such an awesome movie. the ending is somewhat interesting. not what i expected.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Disney's Aladdin. Possibly my favorite Disney movie ever; the best love song I've ever heard is "A Whole New World."
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MomoAdachi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:54 pm

I started watching Disney's The Hunchback Of Notre Dame yesterday...I forgot how good it is. Esmeralda rox!
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Just saw Michael Clayton!
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:38 am

Tonight I watched Return To Oz.
GhostontheNet

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am

Amzi Live (post: 1216386) wrote:Just saw Michael Clayton!

excellent if not a really slow movie
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Watched part of Pride and prejudice with my girlfriend and was quiet simply bored. Then i went home and watched Boondock saints and I still keep that movie at my top 5 of all time list. Sooo good.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Danderson » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:49 am

Pride and Prejudice?....Boring? Was it the Kierra Knightly version or the AMC series? The AMC one is freaking hilarious....Sarcasm was as great an art then, as it is now....

Anywho, just watched Henry V last night....Let's just say it was like watching an actual Shakespeare play, just not a stage and with great cinematography.....It took a good hour before I could figure out what all the ruckus was about, but then I started liking it.....

Would definetly recomend to anyone who loves Shakespeare or has the patience for his plays......
Danderson

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:19 am

Danderson (post: 1218049) wrote:Pride and Prejudice?....Boring? Was it the Kierra Knightly version or the AMC series? The AMC one is freaking hilarious....Sarcasm was as great an art then, as it is now....

Anywho, just watched Henry V last night....Let's just say it was like watching an actual Shakespeare play, just not a stage and with great cinematography.....It took a good hour before I could figure out what all the ruckus was about, but then I started liking it.....

Would definetly recomend to anyone who loves Shakespeare or has the patience for his plays......

I watched the new version. I am sorry it bored me becuase its just my type of movie. Nothing wrong with it. It has probably some of the most beautiful shots i have ever seen in a movie. Very well done from the artistic stand point and even some of the camera angles were good. I am just not one to watch slow romance movies XD

GrubbTheFragger

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:13 am

Tonight I watched Cyber Wars and Blade Runner. It made for a really cool cyberpunk night.
GhostontheNet

Postby Danderson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:54 pm

Watched two interesting movies tonight -
Next with Nicholas Cage....Interesting plot and effects, but the ending while suprising lacked satisfaction....
Then I saw August Rush....Amazingly well done story....sad at times, but very moving and amazing to watch, especially as a musician myself....The kid was a freaking prodigy!!! I recomend this to any musician.....
Danderson

Postby Kurama » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Ah Just dabbed on all the Lord of the Rings.

A great Trilogy that one is.

I want to try and watch all of the Star Wars if I can. xD
Kurama

Postby minakichan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:04 pm

Just saw Fellini's "8 1/2."

...Wow. Maybe I'm just stupid and uncultured, but I really couldn't stand it. It was hugely pretentious, and the symbolism was blatant and in-your-face to the point of aggravation. Some of the surreal scenes were really beautiful, but others were just like "OK, we get it, you angst a lot and you hate yourself. MOVE ON, FELLINI." I swear, anyone makes some surreal autobiographical art film full of cheap symbolism and it will be a considered a classic just because it's avant-garde and angsty >_>;
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:00 am

Watched Al Pachino's new movie 88 minutes.One of the better thrillers i have seen in a bit.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Rev. Doc » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:43 am

Without digging up the argument that ensued in another thread, my wife and I went to see Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed last night. I highly recommend it to everyone and will do so to my congregation tomorrow.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Transformers, still love it XD. And Juno, best comedy of the year

GrubbTheFragger

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:05 pm

watched Forbidden Kingdom yesterday night. somewhat disappointed. the fight scenes were quite good. however, the movie's cheesiness, predictability, and anti-climatic ending made the movie a not-so-fun experience...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Kurama » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:22 pm

Really?
My brothers and my Mom are all excited to see it Monday, wait a sec, thats tomorrow. O_O
And they are all excited and I am not. I don't feel the need to see it. I am thinking of asking my mom to let me see something else while they watch that....like.....*thinks*Speed racer? DAW! it aint out yet. ;_:
I might end up watching Horton hears a who.
Kurama

Postby Sheenar » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:19 pm

I saw Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed on Friday. All I have to say is that before you believe any claims about it, see it for yourself.
It was unbiased and presented evenly both sides through most of the movie. I think it's worth seeing if you haven't.
Before you say anything about the movie, see it. Then you can say something. I just don't feel you can have an adequate and justified opinion about something until you check it out for yourself. (Ex: Harry Potter --lots of Christians/church people said it's evil, but never read/watched it for themselves. )
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby KagayakiWashi » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 pm

I saw "Expelled" a couple of nights ago. Recently at home, I've been watching classic Godzilla movies. The one where they bring Godzilla and Rodan to Planet X.....that's just too funny.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby minakichan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:47 pm

The City of Lost Children.

OH MY GOD SOMEONE PLEASE RIP MY BRAIN OUT AND REPLACE IT. I seriously lost 10 years of my life watching that movie. I won't be able to sleep tonight.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Angel Tifa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:07 am

Just Friends with Ryan Reynolds and Amy Smart. Oh my goodness the actor Reynolds is so hot :hug: and it's such a funny movie XD.
[color="Purple"]God Is Good All The Time :angel:![/color]
Angel Tifa

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm

watched Bourne Supremacy yesterday night w/ my dad.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 am

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 - Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
GhostontheNet

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:09 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1215714) wrote: It was fascinating to see Tim Burton drop his usual cinematic style of Gothic Expressionism to employ the violent bright shades of the older German Expressionism.

Someone else who knows about German expressionism! Have you seen Metropolis? I want to see it really bad!

GhostontheNet (post: 1220105) wrote:Mystery Science Theatre 3000 - Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

Oddly enough, that's the last MST I watched too. XD And I was listening to the our common music interests today. Weird how that works out.

Just finished watching Cloverfield. I applaud it for not being totally predictable or falling into cliches, but I wish the CGI had been more convincing.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:48 am

Tonight I watched Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell. Its nice to have another Hammer Horror film directed by Terence Fisher in my collection.

Doubleshadow (post: 1220267) wrote:Someone else who knows about German expressionism! Have you seen Metropolis? I want to see it really bad!
Yep, I'm fairly familiar with Expressionist art, cinema, and even music. In fact, I just recently used Christ's Entry Into Brussels by James Ensor for the Powerpoint of a sermon titled "Jesus: Mascot or King" at my church. I have indeed seen Metropolis directed by Fritz Lang - its one of my favorite movies. There are so many classic scenes in that movie, its just incredible. Not to mention, there are so many references to that movie all over cinema its just mind-boggling. It you pay attention to it, your understanding of the real meaning of a lot of Horror and Science Fiction symbolism takes leaps and bounds when you realize it began right in this movie.

Oddly enough, that's the last MST I watched too. XD And I was listening to the our common music interests today. Weird how that works out.
Well, as they say "Great minds think alike." I really liked Raul Julia's performance in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. He was like a wild animal filled with passion let loose on a boring dystopia. It was quite charming. Our common musical interests run deeper than you know. If you ask me, I say you should bite the bullet and purchase some Gothic/Darkwave CDs. Half of your favorite musicians are/were either directly involved in that music scene or were strongly influenced by it anyways.
GhostontheNet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:04 pm

I last watched Miss Potter, a movie about the life of Beatrix Potter. It was really good, funny and emotional. Plus, it had Ewan McGregor, so I was happy XD
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment