Conventions 2008!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Slytherine » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:51 pm

Nate (post: 1213655) wrote:Man I should go ahead and prereg for Otakon now, for reals.

*eyes widened* Oh crud! NOW I remember what I was suppose to do today! :hits_self:

*runs off to preregister*

~Slytherine
[color="Magenta"]"The trouble with real life is that there's no background music." -Anonymous[/color]

[color="Lime"]"A rose by any other name would be "deadly thorn-bearing assault vegetation."" -Robert Bullock[/color]

[color="Cyan"]"Ok, I'm weird! But I'm saving up to become eccentric." -Anonymous[/color]
Slytherine

Postby Nate » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:07 am

Oh yeah hey and you people who are all "I'm going to Otakon this year!" make sure you actually GO. Because I don't want what happened last year to happen again and be like "Oh boy there's totally gonna be a lot of CAA people at Otakon this year it's going to ROCK!" but then really it's just the same four dudes hanging out again.

(I realize a couple of people had valid reasons for not being able to make it last year but it still pretty much sucked.)

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 am

WE'LL BE THERE LIKE SHAREWARE.

Consequently, I have everything taken care of. Tickets, registration, housing, the works. It is going to be totally awesome.
Fish and Chips

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:00 pm

I missed my first opportunity to go to a convention this year. My friend ditched me to play Brawl all day long. (Deja vu, didn't I respond to this thread already?)

I would go to one when I go off to college this year, but I can't use a car thanks to the college's freshman policy. And I'm definitely not going to walk on the streets of that city in a cosplay outfit. Wait--I may actually ward off danger...

I got some weird ideas from this episode of ANTM when they were in Japan and posing for a cosplay photoshoot.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:09 pm

Nate (post: 1215012) wrote:Oh yeah hey and you people who are all "I'm going to Otakon this year!" make sure you actually GO. Because I don't want what happened last year to happen again and be like "Oh boy there's totally gonna be a lot of CAA people at Otakon this year it's going to ROCK!" but then really it's just the same four dudes hanging out again.

(I realize a couple of people had valid reasons for not being able to make it last year but it still pretty much sucked.)

I always go to Otakon and have already pre-reged. Though for meet ups you CAA guys and gals need to give me some notice because I meet up with other groups as well! ^__^ though I don't know too many of you here at the CAA XD

I'm hoping they'll release more info on the VAs, manga-ka, and other musical act! :D

tokiklok (post: 1213130) wrote:I'll be going to the Baltimore comic con in September as toph from avatar

YaY! Avatar Cosplay!
yukoxholic

Postby HiddenWoodchuck » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:18 pm

Man... it's only a few hours from here, but I will be at work. I'm working weekends up until October(won't hire anyone else until then... for some reason), since my company let two people go and now I get to take on their weekends. I'm not complaining, since I need the extra hours, but I have to miss out on things like this. :(

I suck at cos play and making conversation with new friends, but still... if only I had that week of vacation time back... gotta wait 6 months now. *cries*
Per his request, this user has been temporarily banned
HiddenWoodchuck

Postby Nate » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:48 pm

yukoxholic wrote:I always go to Otakon and have already pre-reged. Though for meet ups you CAA guys and gals need to give me some notice because I meet up with other groups as well! ^__^ though I don't know too many of you here at the CAA XD

We will probably worry more about meetings when it is closer to the actual con but I'm sure whoever is in charge of gathering info will be sure to get in contact with you. And it's cool if you don't know too many of us but it's still nice to shake hands and say "OH HEY I THINK I SAW A POST BY YOU ONCE BUT MAYBE IT WAS THAT OTHER GUY WHO HAS THAT AVATAR KIND OF LIKE YOURS."

Nate

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 pm

Nate (post: 1213655) wrote:God yes. A box of pocky will run you six dollars usually. Of course moronic Wapanese people who yell out stupid things like "I'M ADDICTED TO POCKY!" happily shovel out their hard earned cash. Because real otaku don't go to the Oriental grocery store across the street and buy them for 89 cents. That would ruin the spirit of things.

1. Buy cheap Pocky
2. Take cheap Pocky into the con with you (backpack/messenger bag)
3. ????
4. PROFIT

I can't be the only dirty capitalist who thought of this.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Debitt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:20 pm

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1215376) wrote:1. Buy cheap Pocky
2. Take cheap Pocky into the con with you (backpack/messenger bag)
3. ????
4. PROFIT

I can't be the only dirty capitalist who thought of this.

.rai//

XD Course not! But actually, at least at ACen, they srsly crack down on the selling of food inside the hotel, to the point where even expensive Pocky is banned from being sold in the dealer's room, because it gets in the way of food sales in the hotel's gift shops and stuff.

We got out dirty capitalist-ed.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Sakura15 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:38 am

Planning on going to Otakon this year ^^ probably won't be able to stay for the whole weekend, but at least saturday.
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Doubleshadow » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Pre-registered for Otakon. Still getting everything else in order.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Ingemar » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Nate (post: 1213655) wrote:Because real otaku don't go to the Oriental grocery store across the street and buy them for 89 cents. That would ruin the spirit of things.
Around here, they sell Pocky in Wal-Mart and Safeway.

Srsly.

I will bring pictures.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:07 pm

They totally sell Pocky at our local Wal-Mart. Here in Godforsaken, TN, they have Pocky. Reasonable Pocky, too. Less than a buck a box IIRC.

Maybe one could sell to people that morning outside the convention grounds . . . let 'em stock up before they hit the con. MY CAPITALISM WILL NOT BE DENIED. Now I just need to actually make it to a con. XD

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby minakichan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Hello Panda and choco wafers and cappuccino flutes plz. None of this ridiculous Pock-y stuff. Seriously, Pocky is on the bottom of the amazing Asian snack totem pole.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:29 pm

I had gourmet pocky in China. Yeah, gourmet pocky.

I still need to preregister for Otakon. . .
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Pepero is better than Pocky. :D

They have some that are covered with Almond bits. :D
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby rii namuras » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:21 am

[color="Red"](I see Pepero all the time here in Hong Kong, Ryan. I've been meaning to try it out for a while now. They have some that has the chocolate all along the inside instead of just part of the outside.)[/color]
rii namuras

Postby AsianBlossom » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:51 am

My mom bought some Pocky from Target the other day.

Sure, I'm a fan of Target, and I'm happy they have it, but I'm still going to shop at the Asian Market.

But back on topic! Let's see...ah. Here's what I was going to say.

Why is everyone near Baltimore?!?! I don't live anywhere near there and consequently I can't go to Otakon! PLEASE bring your cameras and post pictures/video!

(Wow...somehow, I feel like a brat saying that...)
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:03 am

AsianBlossom (post: 1217083) wrote:My mom bought some Pocky from Target the other day.

Sure, I'm a fan of Target, and I'm happy they have it, but I'm still going to shop at the Asian Market.

But back on topic! Let's see...ah. Here's what I was going to say.

Why is everyone near Baltimore?!?! I don't live anywhere near there and consequently I can't go to Otakon! PLEASE bring your cameras and post pictures/video!

(Wow...somehow, I feel like a brat saying that...)

I live near Baltimore but I don't think everyone here lives near the city. Lots of people travel in order to get to cons like Otakon and Expo because they're like the "two largest anime convetions" in the states.

I always bring my camera and camcorder and take loads of pictres! I'll be sure to hook you up with a gallery :)

I have pictures from every Otakon I've been too if you want to see those!
yukoxholic

Postby Nate » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:51 am

I don't really know that six hours away qualifies me as being "near" Baltimore. XP

I go to Otakon because I like meeting people from CAA. Also, there's cool stuff at the panels.

Man there had better be a toku panel or something for real.

Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:52 pm

yukoxholic (post: 1217085) wrote:I live near Baltimore but I don't think everyone here lives near the city. Lots of people travel in order to get to cons like Otakon and Expo because they're like the "two largest anime convetions" in the states.

I always bring my camera and camcorder and take loads of pictres! I'll be sure to hook you up with a gallery :)

Where, if I may ask?

I lived in Baltimore (County, which surrounds Baltimore City) for about 17 years of my life, but now I kinda moved to... another neighboring town. XD It's still incredibly close to Baltimore, though.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kaligraphic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Around here, you can get pocky at 7-11. srsly.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:05 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1217178) wrote:Where, if I may ask?

I lived in Baltimore (County, which surrounds Baltimore City) for about 17 years of my life, but now I kinda moved to... another neighboring town. XD It's still incredibly close to Baltimore, though.

I live about 30 minutes away from downtown Baltimore less than that if there is no traffic. I used to live about 15 minutes from the city in Pikesville until I moved recently.
yukoxholic

Postby AsianBlossom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:56 am

minakichan (post: 1216994) wrote:Hello Panda and choco wafers and cappuccino flutes plz. None of this ridiculous Pock-y stuff. Seriously, Pocky is on the bottom of the amazing Asian snack totem pole.

Hello Panda? Isn't that like Koala's March? Either way, it's cute. ^.^

yukoxholic (post: 1217085) wrote:I always bring my camera and camcorder and take loads of pictres! I'll be sure to hook you up with a gallery :)

Awesome. That'd be cool. :)

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby minakichan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:16 am

Hello Panda? Isn't that like Koala's March? Either way, it's cute. ^.^

NO. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AT ALL.
PICTURES OF PANDAS ARE INFINITELY SUPERIOR TO PICTURES OF KOALAS.

Sigh, I've always wanted to go to a supercon like Otakon or Expo... I guess AniBos and A-Kon are already quite big, but still... to be able to enter a room and actually pass out from the Fragrance de Fanboy is basically my dream.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby AsianBlossom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 am

XDDD

What I meant was: aren't they both cookies with a chocolate or strawberry creme filling?

AsianBlossom

Postby minakichan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:27 pm

It's the outside, not the inside, that counts.

Actually, that was a lie.

Hrmm, I'm thinking of acting on a complete whim and heading to New York Comic-Con this weekend. THINKING about it. I feel like I have a lot of pressure to go-- I have a net-friend going, I've got a 4 day weekend, RSoM Tokyopop editor's going to be there, pre-reg is cheap, TM Revolution's giving a concert...

But common sense tells me I shouldn't plan a trip just 3 days in advance with no hotel plans or, um, money...
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Kurama » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:09 pm

Well, got back from my first con of 08.

Megacon 2008.
Fantastic con I might say!
I got swept off my feet by Daredevil. LOL It was so kewl!

Next cons I have planned are

Jacon 2008
Metrocon 2008
Anime Festival Orlando 2008
and
Janicon 2008

Those were cons I went to last year and i hope to be doing them again this year.

HEY HEY HEY! LOOKIT THAT! THIS IS MY 2,000th POST!
Kurama

Postby NekoChan_C » Fri May 02, 2008 8:57 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1213047) wrote:Along with Otakon, I shall also probably hit up Metrocon this year to hang with my Florida buddies. :D

As for Otakon, I will eventually ask for the phone numbers of everyone that I have currently not gotten numbers from.

FINALLY!!!! SOMEONE ELSE ATTENDING METROCON!!!! ^_^ I am a Metro Vet, having gone each year (except the first, cant believe I missed that one! >.<) and was hoping someone else from CAA would be going... YAY!!

EDIT: Make that TWO people!!! YES!!!! I hope to see you guys at Metro, I don't have alot of anime friends to really hang with or even see there... it's usually just me and my little sister hanging out all weekend, maybe with a friend or two of hers... but I want to meet new people and have fun and exciting times!! ^_^
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby minakichan » Fri May 02, 2008 12:13 pm

Oh man... it's May already... A-Kon is at the end of this month...

Anyone going?! I have an Artists' Alley table, and my position is great this year, at the cluster of tables near the elevator. A lot of my friends are coming too... although a lot of my high school friends have exams, which majorly stinks. I'm really exciteddddd.
ImageImage
minakichan

Previous Next

Return to General