Conventions 2008!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:45 pm

It's in Baltimore City at the convention center.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Dante » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:55 pm

I've actually always wondered... why do people go to anime conventions, or any conventions for that matter... they all seem to only consist of vast sets of booths containing items for sale at extremely marked up prices... and... given the lack of funding most otakus have... well... why purchase anything at one of these things? Why attend at all? Just semi-curious because I never got it :P.

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:19 pm

I think the big reasons are cosplaying, meeting up with online friends, and being around people who completely understand your nerdy otakuness. That said, Otakon would be my first convention (yay!), so hopefully I'll have a good time.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Peanut » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Pascal (post: 1213056) wrote:I've actually always wondered... why do people go to anime conventions, or any conventions for that matter... they all seem to only consist of vast sets of booths containing items for sale at extremely marked up prices... and... given the lack of funding most otakus have... well... why purchase anything at one of these things? Why attend at all? Just semi-curious because I never got it :P.

-Pascal

Vendors actually aren't a significant part of the convention. Otakon always shows episodes from several anime series on big screens, has video game tournaments, it has voice actors come and speak/sign autographs...it's actually a lot of fun. If your wondering why I went last year...well...it was a chance to hang out with my friends for what seemed like the last time until I returned for the summer. This year however I'm going because last year was awesome and I just want to go again...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby rii namuras » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1213047) wrote:Along with Otakon, I shall also probably hit up Metrocon this year to hang with my Florida buddies. :D

As for Otakon, I will eventually ask for the phone numbers of everyone that I have currently not gotten numbers from.

[color="Red"](Metrocon's a good con, you should go if you can. And do not miss the Human Chess Match - it was amazing last year.)[/color]
rii namuras

Postby tokiklok » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:32 pm

I'll be going to the Baltimore comic con in September as toph from avatar
Made by Seppuku ^-^

tokiklok

Postby Seppuku » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:34 pm

so this is my first reply in like ...... ohhh 7 months XDDDDDDDD

(starting to fall out of anime)*thinks its become annoyingly popular (lol))
(*knows its a bad reason not to like something*)

ya *ehum*(missed u all) I will be attending Baltimore Comic con~!!! bothdays as Sokka from Avatar! tokiklok will be toph. Wooo! if anyone else is gonna be at Baltimore Comic con hit me up hueandkry@gmail.com

^-~ peace!

[url=myspace.com/seppukuasylum]myspace.com/seppukuasylum[/url]

"Theres no such thing as trolls!"
Then how do you explain the dead unicorns?
Seppuku

Postby kirakira » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:55 am

I just attended Anime St. Louis this past weekend where I tore it up dressed as Reno. *laughs* I hope to attend ACen, but we'll see.
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby AsianBlossom » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:03 am

rii namuras (post: 1213122) wrote:[color="Red"](Metrocon's a good con, you should go if you can. And do not miss the Human Chess Match - it was amazing last year.)[/color]

Ooh, I know that...I was watching the footage from last year on YouTube...and let's just say that I'm curious as to how it ends. :D
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Slytherine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Jeez I can wait til Otakon. But I really need to pre-register. I'm procrastinating. :hits_self
Gosh, I need a job!:bang:

:rock:
~Slytherine
[I just noticed the smilies! They're SO amazing! :dance:]
[color="Magenta"]"The trouble with real life is that there's no background music." -Anonymous[/color]

[color="Lime"]"A rose by any other name would be "deadly thorn-bearing assault vegetation."" -Robert Bullock[/color]

[color="Cyan"]"Ok, I'm weird! But I'm saving up to become eccentric." -Anonymous[/color]
Slytherine

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:04 pm

Do not overuse them lest they rebel against you!

Yeah, Otakon's gonna be awesome. I need to pre-register, too.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Slytherine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:09 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1213386) wrote:Do not overuse them lest they rebel against you!

But they are just filled with the uber-amazing-ness! How can I possibly not use them constantly?!:dance: GAH! :hits_self

Ok, I'm done. For now...

Dude...Otakon is going to be sooo sweet. It's gonna be like...the highlight of my summer. Unlike some people *cough*Rushia*cough* I don't get to go away to an amazingly pretty college next year. >.<

~Slytherine
[color="Magenta"]"The trouble with real life is that there's no background music." -Anonymous[/color]

[color="Lime"]"A rose by any other name would be "deadly thorn-bearing assault vegetation."" -Robert Bullock[/color]

[color="Cyan"]"Ok, I'm weird! But I'm saving up to become eccentric." -Anonymous[/color]
Slytherine

Postby TalKeaton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:18 pm

I had to not go to Anime Boston due to it being at the same time as Easter (see, my priorities are in check...)

I haven't checked to see if there will be any within my range in Florida this summer, if not then the next con I'll be hitting will be BakuCon in Burlington next fall.
TalKeaton

Postby Slytherine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:52 pm

TalKeaton (post: 1213392) wrote:...if not then the next con I'll be hitting will be BakuCon in Burlington next fall.

I heard BakuCon was pretty sweet. Unfortunately, that's all I heard, lol. Where is it held? Just wondering.

~Slytherine

Slytherine

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Slytherine wrote:Dude...Otakon is going to be sooo sweet. It's gonna be like...the highlight of my summer. Unlike some people *cough*Rushia*cough* I don't get to go away to an amazingly pretty college next year. >.<

Forgive me for moving on with my life, hahaha.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby TalKeaton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:00 pm

It's usually at the Hampton Inn in Colchester (a sub-part of Burlington). It was pretty sweet last year, I was only there for Saturday (I live within 5 or 6 miles of it), and except for the extreme crowdedness and one 'incident' with the hot tub I think it went well. :)

(I knew two people on staff, and they enlisted me to help with a few things that day too, so I didn't get to see as much as hoped.)
TalKeaton

Postby Slytherine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks a bunch TalKeaton!

LadyRushia (post: 1213404) wrote:Forgive me for moving on with my life, hahaha.

*bursts into tears and runs off* Rushia is abandoning Kittie!

~Slytherine

Slytherine

Postby TalKeaton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Hey, life has to come before anime. Priorities, priorities!

(Tal says this as he watches Gurren Laggan and ignores his homework)
TalKeaton

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Fear not, Slytherine, soon you'll be doing the same.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Slytherine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Yeah, I know, but not soon enough! I might be a senior next year, but all the cool people are leaving THIS year! GRRR-ness!:mutter:

:comp:
~Slytherine

Slytherine

Postby TalKeaton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Ahh, the fun starts at college anyway. :)

Being in a Game Design major, most of the people I know are into anime, which is fairly convenient in a lot of ways.
TalKeaton

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Slytherine (post: 1213422) wrote:Yeah, I know, but not soon enough! I might be a senior next year, but all the cool people are leaving THIS year! GRRR-ness!:mutter:

:comp:
~Slytherine

Hey, I feel ya. All my friends are older than me, and they're all graduating college. =(
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Pascal wrote:I've actually always wondered... why do people go to anime conventions, or any conventions for that matter... they all seem to only consist of vast sets of booths containing items for sale at extremely marked up prices... and... given the lack of funding most otakus have... well... why purchase anything at one of these things? Why attend at all? Just semi-curious because I never got it :P.

-Pascal

Peanut wrote:Vendors actually aren't a significant part of the convention. Otakon always shows episodes from several anime series on big screens, has video game tournaments, it has voice actors come and speak/sign autographs...it's actually a lot of fun. If your wondering why I went last year...well...it was a chance to hang out with my friends for what seemed like the last time until I returned for the summer. This year however I'm going because last year was awesome and I just want to go again...

This is the truth. I never buy anime dvd's or music from dealer rooms at anime cons, because I can get them less then what they are selling them for. I only buy hard to find stuff at anime cons. Which in case, I only buy anime cels and maybe a model kit that are hard to get over here in the states.

About 90% of time, I'm trying to get autographs for a lot of my posters, models, anime cels or anime sketches. I mostly carry at least two bags of stuff to get sign at cons.

This is why, I only go to anime cons that I can only drive to and carry my stuff around with me.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:08 am

Oh, sweet dog, you KNOW I'm all over Otakon.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby OhElk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 am

I'll be stalking the Nan Desu Kan in Denver. If I didn't, there are staff members that will come and get me and drag me to the Marriott. I think I'm going to be cosplaying The White Rabbit for my Alice in Wonderland Group, Celes from FFVI/or Lolita-styled Black Mokona from xxxHOLiC, and Konan, from Naruto.
I get a lip piercing, and blue hair.
Oh yeeeeaah. And Pajama Ame Warashi from xxxHOLiC for the CLAMP Pajama party.
I am a signature.
OhElk

Postby AsianBlossom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:54 am

So they charge a lot more at conventions? Do they have imported video games? What if you don't want to wait a month for Play-Asia to ship? (don't know how long it usually takes, but I waited a month and I'm pleased as punch with the CD and cellphone charm)

And like how ridiculous is this price hike?

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:33 pm

Nate (post: 1213463) wrote:Oh, sweet dog, you KNOW I'm all over Otakon.

Word, gangsta.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Nate » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:16 pm

AsianBlossom wrote:So they charge a lot more at conventions?

God yes. A box of pocky will run you six dollars usually. Of course moronic Wapanese people who yell out stupid things like "I'M ADDICTED TO POCKY!" happily shovel out their hard earned cash. Because real otaku don't go to the Oriental grocery store across the street and buy them for 89 cents. That would ruin the spirit of things.

Also most collectibles and toys will run you higher than you might find online, for example a Voltron figure went for about 150 bucks at Otakon, whereas online it was around 100. Some things aren't bad, the manga and anime are usually pretty cheap, and most stands have sales (such as 5 for 15 dollars, any Tokyopop manga only 3 dollars, etc.).

In short: Toys/collectibles/food overpriced, CDs usually decent priced, anime/manga usually good price.
Do they have imported video games?

Yep.
What if you don't want to wait a month for Play-Asia to ship?

Choose the faster shipping option.

Man I should go ahead and prereg for Otakon now, for reals.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Peanut » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Nate (post: 1213655) wrote:Man I should go ahead and prereg for Otakon now, for reals.

Yeah...that would probably be a good idea...took care of mine yesterday and I guess now would be a good time to mention that meboeck will be attending for sure now...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:46 am

Nate (post: 1213655) wrote:A box of pocky will run you six dollars usually. Of course moronic Wapanese people who yell out stupid things like "I'M ADDICTED TO POCKY!" happily shovel out their hard earned cash. Because real otaku don't go to the Oriental grocery store across the street and buy them for 89 cents.

Looks like I'm not a real otaku then]In short: Toys/collectibles/food overpriced, CDs usually decent priced, anime/manga usually good price.[/QUOTE]

That's all good to know...we need cheaper anime and manga. Heck, if you look at AnimeNation's online store, some of their manga runs from the four dollar to the ten dollar range. You can find all sorts of manga for almost half the price of retail bookstores. Not guaranteeing everything is cheaper on there, though...

But still, that's good to know. Domo arigato gozaimasu! *bows politely*

AsianBlossom

Previous Next

Return to General