What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Technomancer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Currently, I've picked up a copy of David Beerling's "The Emerald Planet: How Plants Changed Earth History". which covers both the evolution of land plants and the impact they've had on the Earth's geology and climate over the past 425 million years or so. The author also discusses the implications this has for our own understanding of current climate and our affect on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Planet-Plants-Changed-History/dp/0192806025/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204432951&sr=8-1
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:46 pm

I just finished reading The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis and Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard. I'll probably go on to read Either/Or by Soren Kierkegaard.
GhostontheNet

Postby PolarHeat » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:26 pm

I've finished Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller, and now I'm reading Searching for God Knows What, another book by Donald Miller. If anyone gets the chance to read any of his books, don't pass up the opportunity. They are life-changing and amazing books.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"Man or woman, what we look like is irrelevant anyways, right? It's what's inside that really matters."

~ Haruhi Fujioka, Ouran High School Host Club
Volume 1 [color="Red"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color]

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

PolarHeat

Postby ich1990 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:12 pm

[color="Sienna"]Just Read:[/color]

Financial Peace, by Dave Ramsey

25 Myths You've Got to Avoid If You Want to Manage Your Money Right, by Jonathan Clements

Space Trilogy, by C.S. Lewis

As well as many assorted essays on theology, apologetics, and science at www.godandscience.org
[color="#a0522d"]
Next on the list:[/color]

Blink, by Ted Dekker
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:45 pm

The Faerie Queen by Edmund Spenser
The Apology for Poetry by Sir Philip Sidney

No real comments, actually. Early modern period and working toward the present.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Picked Mark Z. Danielewski's [color="Blue"]House[/color] of Leaves back up after a long enough hiatus. I'd forgotten just how amazing this book is. Next on the list (probably) is Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day. Also reading Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters on the side. I don't plan to stop reading Discworld books anytime soon.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:09 pm

reading Homer's The Odyssey for school.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Sheenar » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Still reading The Phantom of the Opera

Man, with all the stuff I have to read for school, I've kind of had to put my reading aside. Dang, I want to finish the book! It's so good!

I'm also reading Lord, I Want to be Whole by Stormie Omartian
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm

So far the only reading I have been doing in the past week has been going through my Supergirl collection and re-reading the Carnivean story arch.
mitsuki lover

Postby rocklobster » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:58 pm

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseni.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 am

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling. I'm...er...researching :hits_self
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:46 pm

The Sonnets by William Shakespeare

If that is his real name.
uc pseudonym

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:54 pm

The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe

I'm vaguely irritated, as I wanted to read Goethe's version. This one is rather easy to follow but the content itself is somewhat disappointing (I've only read two acts). Some scholarship indicates that Marlowe intended to make the protagonist a representation of Martin Luther. I haven't come to any opinion regarding that yet, but if so I'm somewhat disappointed in the author's method of pushing his agenda.
uc pseudonym

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:27 am

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. My third-favorite of the series (Deathly Hallows being my first and Chamber of Secrets being my second).
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:15 am

Monstrous Regiment by Mr. Terry Pratchett. So far it's brilliant as always.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby ich1990 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Just finished Blink by Ted Dekker.

Originally, I avoided this book because of the plot: "Blonde surfer dude rescues Arabian Princess."

Eventually, however, I decided to read it. This is a Dekker book after all, it can't be that bad. Well, I am glad I did read it. It is not my absolute favorite, but it ranks right up there. I would recommend it as a gateway book to draw people into Dekker's other faster paced (Thr3e) or longer (Showdown series & Circle Trilogy) works.

A more accurate summary is this: Blonde surfer dude with an IQ 193 starts seeing multiple possible futures and stumbles into an Arabian Princess who has a dozen assassins attempting to kill her at any given moment. Together, they must get past their religious and cultural differences. And not get shot. Throw in an Islam vs. Christianity theological disccussion and a couple of gunfights and you have "Blink". 9/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Technomancer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:10 am

"Multiple Channel Hybrid Active Noise Control Systems" by X. Kong, et al. I'm reading this for a contract I'm working on.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:56 pm

Also during my shopping binge I bought Robert Asprin's:
MYTH-ion Improbable another one of the continuing MYTH-adventures of
Skeeve and Aahz.This one features vegan cowboys and vampire cows!
Read it yesterday and today.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:06 pm

What's So Amazing About Grace? by Philip Yancey

Light reading picked up on a whim because this very question has been in my mind recently. I find it encouraging about Christianity as an ideology but not really related to things that apply to me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Angel Tifa » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:16 pm

Right now I'm reading one of my old text books from last semester just because. It's called "12 Plays A Portable Anthology" by Janet E. Gardner. Now because that textbook was relevant to my college major, I never minded reading textbooks for that reason.
[color="Purple"]God Is Good All The Time :angel:![/color]
Angel Tifa

Postby Sheenar » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:26 am

Understanding Zoonotic Diseases --for class
Currently reading about plague...
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:58 am

Why Pandas Do Handstands,and other curious truths about animals by
Augustus Brown.

Apparently Minke Whales can communicate up to 2,000 miles away!
mitsuki lover

Postby Tyrel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm currently reading "Three views on Creation and Evolution" which allows the three typically Christian and orthodox views, namely YEC, OEC, and TE, to be presented each by select representatives of each case. The Young Earth Creationist case was very genuine, admitting that at the present nearly all the scientific evidence was beset against the position. Very interesting case, however, focusing primarily on the issue of the philosophy of science. I read a review that said the Old Earth Creationist case was obviously made to look better than the others, as the end of each 'paper' from the respective camps is reviewed briefly by a board of professionals {a scientist, a philosopher, a theologian, etc} who happened to all be OEC's themselves. I myself am a Theistic Evolutionist, and Howard J. Van Till was the one given the honours of representing TE. I'm really looking forward to getting to the section of the book where he presents his case. Because OEC and YEC have so much philosophy in common with regards to scientific inquiry, among other things, and because Theistic evolution, to the average conservative ear, sounds quite liberal, he was given twice the word limit of the other presenters. Actually, they chose him because he offers probably one of the most, if not the most, conservative articulation and understanding of TE.

Paul Nelson -Young Earth Creationism (YEC)
Robert C. Newman - Progressive Creationism (OEC)
Howard J. Van Till - The Fully Gifted Creation (TE)

Each Paper reviewed by the following board;

Walter L. Bradley
John Jefferson Davis
J.P. Moreland
Vern S. Poythress
------------------------------------

Stanley N. Gundry - series editor
J.P.Moreland - general editor
John Mark Reynolds - general editor
Tyrel

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:12 pm

Homeward Bounders by Diana Wynne Jones
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:05 pm

Star Wars: Champions of the Force by Kevin J. Anderson
Shao Feng-Li

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:53 pm

Paradise Lost by John Milton

A book of discussions, it seems. At least things happen every so often.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:31 pm

• Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
• The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb
• 900 Grandmothers by RA Lafferty
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:29 pm

The Idea Of The Holy by Rudoph Otto
Anne Of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
GhostontheNet

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:18 pm

On Monday and Tuesday I read The Vikings by Ian Heath.Also on Monday I found a new edition of The Voyage of the Beagle in the public library.Ought to read it one of these days...if I get around to it.
mitsuki lover

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner