What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:44 pm

I just finished Blue Like Jazz and now I'm reading Tales of the Otori.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 am

Ehh... I think I'm gonna give up on Coldheart Canyon. I like Clive Barker's short story stuff, but this is just repulsive. I need to get back to reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. That one's more entertaining anyway.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Sheenar » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:56 pm

I'm currently reading "Understanding Zoonotic Diseases" for my Animal Diseases and Public Health class --I just finished reading about Anthrax and now am reading about Brucellosis. This is one of the most interesting and fun classes I've had in a while --taught by a veterinarian and everything.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:30 am

Just finished A Tale of Two Cities today! :jump: I really liked it, especially the beginning and the ending, lol. I plan on reading something a little lighter next, though.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:42 am

O Ye Jigs & Juleps! by Virginia Cary Hudson
mitsuki lover

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:09 pm

The Oath by Frank Peretti.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Sheenar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:46 am

Still reading the Phantom of the Opera. Can't seem to really sit down and read lately...
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Rereading The Belgariad (for, I dunno, the 8th time probably).

Currently on Book II.
Mithrandir

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:46 pm

The Roots of Evil by Ervin Staub

Beginning with school reading once again. Classes about genocide are great fun.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris

My American Presidency professor said to read up on a president of our choosing. Theodore Roosevelt was the man.
Fish and Chips

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:06 am

More Adventures in Odyssey books than I can count.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby animewarrior » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:14 am

I'm reading a book called "The Princess and the Hound" as well as "Prophet" by Frank E. Peretti. And I finished "Saint" by Ted Dekker a couple days ago.
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:47 am

The School Story by (*runs to get book*) Andrew Clements. It's about a girl in the sixth grade who's trying to get her story published, and it's really good. Hits home with me, too, since I decided I wanted to be an author when I was in fifth grade.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Finding Your Famous {& Infamous} Ancestors by Rhonda R. McClure.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Being Logical by DQ McInerny
Beowulf

I finally have an excuse to read this classic in a fairly literal translation. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to the Grendal fight yet, so I can't make a judgment concerning it. Meanwhile, the other book is very readable and seems to serve as a solid basis for logic.
uc pseudonym

Postby Felix » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:50 am

Just finished The Circle and currently re-reading Showdown, both by Ted Dekker.
Felix

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:01 pm

Felix (post: 1198950) wrote:Just finished The Circle and currently re-reading Showdown, both by Ted Dekker.

Ditto, minus the "re-."
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Finished The School Story. Great book. I'm not sure what I'll be reading next....

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Alice » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Guns of Avalon, by Roger Zelazny
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby SnoringFrog » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:15 am

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Read Tolkien:A Look Behind The Lord of the Rings by Lin Carter yesterday and today.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:48 pm

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Continuing my coverage of old English literature. I don't like this one as much as Beowulf, given how excessive the descriptions are, but the plot seems interesting. Unfortunately, I know how it ends because this is such a common story.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kkun » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:41 pm

Starving Jesus by Craig Gross and J.R. Mahon, Seize the Day by Saul Bellow, and I'm re-reading Shakespeare's King Lear for my literature criticism class.

LadyRushia wrote:just finished Blue Like Jazz and now I'm reading Tales of the Otori.

What did you think of Blue Like Jazz? Donald Miller is far and away one of my favorite modern Christian authors, even if I don't agree with him sometimes (that's not why I read books, anyway). If you enjoyed it, I highly recommend Searching for God Knows What and Through Painted Deserts. To Own a Dragon is also very good, but it's hard to get through if you can't necessarily identify with the premise of the book.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby yukoxholic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:50 am

The Chess Machine By: Robert Lohr as well as the Dragon Sword And Wind Child By: Noriko Ogiwara.
yukoxholic

Postby Supersith » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:02 pm

Star Trek: Before Dishonor by Peter David
Supersith

Postby Alice » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:05 pm

The Hand of Oberon, by Roger Zelazny.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:03 pm

More Steve Allen on the Bible,Religion,& Morality by Steve Allen.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Morte Darthur by Sir Thomas Malory, translated by William Caxton

Many of the Middle English spellings have been retained, so this inhibits swift reading significantly (though pondering how language evolves is fascinating, especially because I'm familiar with some of the archaic uses of words). But the stories themselves are interesting and well-written.
uc pseudonym

Postby MomoAdachi » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:44 pm

*A Traitor In Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery
*Re-reading "Pretties" and "Extras" from the Uglies series
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:03 pm

Discourse on the Method by René Descartes

I enjoy his writing, but I am still awaiting proof that his method can build up to significant matters. So far he has confined himself to mathematics as an example of broader principles, but I remain skeptical as to how easily it can apply to anything else.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner