Conventions 2008!

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Nightshade X » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:36 pm

Ingemar (post: 1200851) wrote:If you PM me I could probably convince a few of my aunts to make a garment for you. By the way, striped-pants version or non-striped-pants version?..

Oh, most definitely non-striped. I don't think the world's ready to see me with any variant of striped pants whatsoever...
Nightshade X

Postby minakichan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm going to AnimeBoston~ my first out-of-state con! Except it's actually in-state since I'm college-ing it up in Massachusetts >_>. Also planning on going to A-Kon, if I don't get a summer internship that conflicts.

I'm doing my first ever cosplay, Odin from Romeo x Juliet. I have no clue what I'm doing since I don't sew aside from mending clothes...... It looks like crap right now, and the fabric I bought was probably too thin, but WE SHALL SEE!

Oh, and I'm getting an Artists' Alley table at both cons; if you're going, come visit the AA! /shameless plug
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:21 pm

If Nate will forgive me for speaking for him, I imagine he'll be at Otakon since he was there at least the past three years. We usually have a sort of "core" CAA group there composed of myself, Nate, Meboeck, and Mr. Smartypants. We try to get as many people together as we can for an "official CAA dinner" but the four of us end up eating together quite a lot anyway.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:25 pm

minakichan (post: 1200975) wrote:I'm going to AnimeBoston~ my first out-of-state con! Except it's actually in-state since I'm college-ing it up in Massachusetts >_>. Also planning on going to A-Kon, if I don't get a summer internship that conflicts.

I'm doing my first ever cosplay, Odin from Romeo x Juliet. I have no clue what I'm doing since I don't sew aside from mending clothes...... It looks like crap right now, and the fabric I bought was probably too thin, but WE SHALL SEE!

Oh, and I'm getting an Artists' Alley table at both cons]

Hooray for romeo x juliet cosplay! I love Odin!

From experience I can tell you don't except great results! Yes, things will rip because you sewed the seam to loose...Yes! of course the zipper is ruche because it wasn't sewn in properly...sure the shoulder seams are a little lopsided but who cares! First cosplays are always the most memorable. Just have fun with it and take your time, don't except perfection just hope for it being wearable which I am sure it will be :)

If you need any tips just ask! ^__^

SpoonyBard (post: 1200982) wrote:If Nate will forgive me for speaking for him, I imagine he'll be at Otakon since he was there at least the past three years. We usually have a sort of "core" CAA group there composed of myself, Nate, Meboeck, and Mr. Smartypants. We try to get as many people together as we can for an "official CAA dinner" but the four of us end up eating together quite a lot anyway.

A CAA meet-up....you guys have room for new faces? ^_~
yukoxholic

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:51 pm

yukoxholic wrote:A CAA meet-up....you guys have room for new faces? ^_~

The more, the merrier!
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby yukoxholic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:21 am

SpoonyBard (post: 1201042) wrote:The more, the merrier!

Ok, I'll hold ya to it! :D
yukoxholic

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:46 am

I will be attending Comic-Con and Otakon this year. Anime expo is up in the air, as the convention seems to get less worthwhile (aside from CAAers, of course) every year.

I have no cosplays planned as of yet, though I might end up as some character from Baccano or 20th Century Boys just to promote it.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby GeneD » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:49 am

I just found out today about a convention at my university! It's on the first weekend of April. I'm so going, it will be my first convention! Don't know about cosplay yet...I don't have money to buy something and I can't sew to save my life.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 am

GeneD (post: 1201401) wrote:! Don't know about cosplay yet...I don't have money to buy something and I can't sew to save my life.

Thrift stores can be a boon for cosplayers who are financially and needle deficiant.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nightshade X » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:22 am

mechana2015 (post: 1201601) wrote:Thrift stores can be a boon for cosplayers who are financially and needle deficiant.

*takes notes* Interesting... I'll add that to my resources...
Nightshade X

Postby termyt » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:23 am

My brother and I will probably be spotted at Cleveland Colossal Con again this year.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Debitt » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:08 am

mechana2015 (post: 1201601) wrote:Thrift stores can be a boon for cosplayers who are financially and needle deficiant.

Seconding this very very hard. :3

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby AsianBlossom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:58 am

But hey, it's a great bit of advice. I'm doing that for my May costume...I'll need black athletic shorts and a red t-shirt that I'll need to doctor up. Not sure where I'm going to find a yellow pouch that looks like hers...

Oh yeah, and I'll be spray-painting some plain white tennis shoes...hopefully...
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby TriezGamer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:49 am

I'll be at Sakura-con at the end of March.
Embraced by a gentle breeze, my heart breaks as I think of you.
All alone at the top of the hill, I watch as the seasons go by.
--
Wishing for courage softly, I pray.
There's no going back now, to those tender days when you held me in your arms.

MOES "I can has Sane Sig now?"
TriezGamer

Postby Ingemar » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:08 pm

I would like to go all four days in AX 2008 this year but if I can't I'll try for at least two. Since Nightshade X agreed to do a Black Mage cosplay for me I decided to reprise my Wolfwood cosplay whenever he plans to go as Black Vash.

The difficulty of course is finding lodging. I have friends and family in LA but four days is overstaying my welcome.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby PolarHeat » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:23 pm

I will most likely be attending ACen in Rosemont, Illinois. It is my first convention, so I am filled with anticipation and excitement. I will also be trying my best to cosplay Misa from Death Note. Anyone attending ACen?
Image Image Image Image Image Image

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"Man or woman, what we look like is irrelevant anyways, right? It's what's inside that really matters."

~ Haruhi Fujioka, Ouran High School Host Club
Volume 1 [color="Red"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color]

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

PolarHeat

Postby Valkaiser » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:47 pm

I think that the anime club I'm a member of plans to attend AnimeFest in Dallas.
I've never been to a con and will try to go if at all possible.
Valkaiser

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:11 pm

I went to Ikkicon and this month I really want to go to Anime Matsuri. But I won't. In June I'll be at A-Kon I guess.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby rii namuras » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:28 pm

[color="Red"](Ani-Com '08 in Hong Kong! August 1-5. Dunno who I'm cosplaying yet, tho'. I'd like to get an AA table, but I don't think I'll know enough Cantonese by then.)[/color]
rii namuras

Postby Sakura15 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:41 pm

I'm planning on attending Otakon this year with my sisters :grin:
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby yukoxholic » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:48 pm

Sakura15 (post: 1204631) wrote:I'm planning on attending Otakon this year with my sisters :grin:

I bring my sisters too! What is it about Otakon that makes people like us want to bring the family together? :thumb:
yukoxholic

Postby AsianBlossom » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:15 am

Hi guys. I'm bringing this thread back because I didn't want to clutter the board with another thread, and it relates to conventions anyways.

So I'm having second thoughts about cosplaying as May (mostly because I'm not sure if I can make the bag she has...could be dificult), and I'm trying to think of other characters that are not too hard to cosplay as. Now, my brother already knows he wants to cosplay as Snake, and he's going to get a cardboard box just so he can sneak around the convention in it. XD One of the reasons I picked May is because the costume wouldn't require too much in terms of changing my appearance, like I wouldn't have to wear a wig (although I did consider for a time getting blue contacts, but after my dad told me you risk scratching your cornea with them, that idea was thrown out the window).

So here's to hoping that I can figure something out before summer.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Slytherine » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:03 pm

I will definitly be going to Otakon (this will be my third year!) and I'm trying to decide on who to cosplay as. I was just going to make two costumes, but I'm not sure if I have the time. I was thinking either Yaone from Saiyuki or Rikku from FFX. Neither would be particularly HARD to do, I'm just poor and a horrible procrasinator, LOL.

So I'm having second thoughts about cosplaying as May (mostly because I'm not sure if I can make the bag she has...could be dificult)

Well, no one's going to come up and examine your bag to make sure it's perfect, so if you just find one that sorta similar, I'm sure it would be fine! ^_^
If I knew you better I would totally help you out on the "possible other characters to cosplay as" thing. Sorry!

~Slytherine
Slytherine

Postby ashfire » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:51 pm

I don't want to glorify what has happen recently, but a incident happen at the Marriot Hotel in Baltimore near where Otakon will take place.
A man murdered his three children by drowning them in the bathtub in one of the rooms. The man then tried to kill himself but failed and has been arrested.
The man and his wife have been separted but he was allowed visitation even thou he was considered a danger to his wife and children.
I will guess the hotel will keep it secret which room it was.
ashfire

Postby TriezGamer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:31 pm

I'm not really sure why you bring that up. It really has nothing to do with the convention itself ...

On another note -- Was anyone else at Sakura-con last weekend? I haven't seen any threads pop up.
Embraced by a gentle breeze, my heart breaks as I think of you.
All alone at the top of the hill, I watch as the seasons go by.
--
Wishing for courage softly, I pray.
There's no going back now, to those tender days when you held me in your arms.

MOES "I can has Sane Sig now?"
TriezGamer

Postby ashfire » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:52 pm

TriezGamer (post: 1213024) wrote:I'm not really sure why you bring that up. It really has nothing to do with the convention itself ...

On another note -- Was anyone else at Sakura-con last weekend? I haven't seen any threads pop up.

True! Its just that the hotel is one of the hotels in Otakon's list of hotels for the con and that something that bad has to happen.
ashfire

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]OMZ, I might be attending my first anime convention ever in two days!

It's the Freecon in Tallahassee. Free admission, too!

I'll probably be Sousuke Aizen from BLEACH. I have the hair, glasses, pants, and socks...now I need the shirt and optional cloak.

I might just go as Aizen from the recent chapter when he was Lieutenant, though...>_>[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Along with Otakon, I shall also probably hit up Metrocon this year to hang with my Florida buddies. :D

As for Otakon, I will eventually ask for the phone numbers of everyone that I have currently not gotten numbers from.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 pm

I definitely want to go to Otakon. Actually, I probably am going this year, but I won't cosplay really 'cause then all you people who are going as well might not recognize me or something, XD.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:42 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]*is confuzzled* Is Otacon a big convention?

Where's it at?

*awaits the flying bricks*[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Previous Next

Return to General