What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Reading For The Love Of Cats:Purrfect Felines now.I also replaced the
Green Lantern comics I finished reading with Supergirl.
mitsuki lover

Postby Okami » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:28 pm

I don't think I could list all the books I'm reading right now....
And of course, I bought two more last night at Barnes & Noble. Gosh I'm a sucker for good-sounding books. So now I'm in the middle of five, beginning three, and have four more to go after this :D
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Finished Book Two of A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I read a lot more than I'd expected while on vacation, to get through long airplane and train rides. Only twenty chapters or so to go!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Anna Mae » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:23 pm

I also happen to be reading The God Delusion. Dawkins is certainly an interesting and at times amusing author, but his general attitude of scorn for anyone who believes differently than he does detracts from the book. He intends for this book to convert believers to atheism, but ultimately I just don't find it very convincing. However, I find it interesting that he and I actually agree on quite a few things.
[SIZE="4"][color="DarkSlateBlue"]God has called me to mission work in Paraguay and Brazil. I may return to CAA someday. God bless all of you![/color][/SIZE]

[i]Two vast and trunk-less legs of stone stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand, half sunk, a shattered visage lies. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare the lone and level sands stretch far away. On the pedestal these words are inscribed:

“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!â€
Anna Mae

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:26 pm

Okami (post: 1188883) wrote:I don't think I could list all the books I'm reading right now....
And of course, I bought two more last night at Barnes & Noble. Gosh I'm a sucker for good-sounding books. So now I'm in the middle of five, beginning three, and have four more to go after this :D

I'm exactly the same way. I just haven't learned how to use a library yet. :/ Actually, the library by my house is just deceptively large. It looks like there's a lot of stuff there, and there is - if you're looking for Michael Crichton, Dean Koontz, John Grisham, Stephen King etc. you're in the right place. But good luck finding your Terry Pratchett or Andrew Vachss or Haruki Murakami or H.P. Lovecraft. So I end up buying stuff from the B&N down the street and not reading half of it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Doe Johnson » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Gokusen Volume 15 and Saiunkoku Monogatari Book 1...yeah...my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to actually read Saiunkoku...but at least I can try. (Gokusen is a manga, but Saiunkoku is a novel)

Also, I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time series again. This might be my 5th time or so...maybe more, maybe less.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 am

Reading a book called Twilight
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:56 am

I read a 93 page illustrated biography of Bach that I bought at the Friends Of The Library sale back in October,yesterday.
mitsuki lover

Postby ADXC » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Im reading Crime and Punishment, Ive only read the first chapter though. I think its pretty good, but Ive heard that its a hard book to read because the story is so complex. But that won't stop me!
ADXC

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:53 am

animedude90 (post: 1190343) wrote:Im reading Crime and Punishment, Ive only read the first chapter though. I think its pretty good, but Ive heard that its a hard book to read because the story is so complex. But that won't stop me!

That's my favorite classic ever! I really liked Crime and Punishment. But you're right]very[/i] introspective, and it almost made me feel like I was going mad while reading it (and being bedridden at the time didn't really help matters :sweat: ). But it's really amazing, better than any other of Dostoyevsky's works that I've read.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Danderson » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Just finished, Relentless, the 1st book in the Dominion Trilogy....It was hard to read till it got very close to the end...once it got there.....Man, it was well worth the slow pacing of the rest of the book.....

.....If there's any Christian fiction novel series that would make a great anime I think I've found it.....
Danderson

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:29 pm

reading Much Ado About Nothing for school.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:50 pm

The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:12 pm

The Sentences by Peter Lombard

This is apparently the most basic text for medieval theology, so it is fitting I read it for a class on the same. According to the book itself this is "one of the least read of the world's great books" most likely because it was only translated into English from Latin last year. I'm not finding it difficult reading, but because the author has all the usual medieval assumptions about logic and use of scripture, I have difficulty relating to his arguments. For the moment I am reading it as an exercise in history.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:39 pm

The Prehistory of the Far Side by Gary Larson,a couple days ago.
mitsuki lover

Postby GeneD » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:31 am

The Vision and the Vow by Pete Greig (just started) and Twelfth Night by Shakespeare.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:26 am

lol, I always forget to post what I'm reading on Sundays. Right now, I'm reading some Adventures in Odyssey books as some light reading while reading the much-heavier A Tale of Two Cities during the week. In the past week, I've read Point of No Return and Dark Passage, and am in the process of reading Freedom Run. All are written by Paul McCusker, who also wrote a lot of the radio episodes and is quite a good writer, I'd say.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Crazy Kitty » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:39 am

I'm currently reading The Recruit by Robert Muchamore and The Runaway Jury by John Grisham.
Crazy Kitty

Postby yukishiro128 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:56 pm

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1190178) wrote:Reading a book called Twilight

Oh, yes!! I just finished it, New Moon, and Eclipse, all of the series that's come out so far. <3 <3
http://www.busybeeband.com--Most awesome high school band ever. Check it out.

Hurry up and install your home security systems, 'cause Jesus is coming like a thief in the night.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]ACCHONBURIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE][/font] :wow!:

:angel:
yukishiro128

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Essential The Amazing Spider-Man vol.3.
mitsuki lover

Postby RidleyofZebes » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:47 pm

The Justice Riders by Chuck Norris.

Yes, that's about the only reason I'm reading it. :eyeroll:
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 pm

I started to read Preternatural a couple days back but it got confusing the way the story jumped from character to character and from place to place all the time.
mitsuki lover

Postby Mist » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:43 pm

I am currently reading the first "Dragonlance" trilogy, by Margret Weis and Tracey Hickman. It's an excellent series.

I also plan to start reading a book called "The Shack" that was given to my mother by a friend.

-Mist
Mist

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Reread Creed or Chaos by Dorothy L.Sayers yesterday.
mitsuki lover

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:50 pm

I'm currently reading The Phantom of the Opera.:)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:45 pm

starting on Gilgamesh for school...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:03 pm

Oh, I remember that one. Read it in hight school and in college --good story --love it. I think you'll like it. Gotta love creepy monsters (Grendel).
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Technomancer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:55 am

jon_jinn (post: 1196181) wrote:starting on Gilgamesh for school...

Which translation?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:11 pm

Just started Clive Barker's Coldheart Canyon. Barker is a recent literary interest of mine. Beats Stephen King by a country mile, let me tell ya.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ADXC » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:04 pm

Im like more than half way into Crime and Punishment, I gotta say its pretty good. "It's good stuff you guys, its good stuff!"
ADXC

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner