What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:49 pm

Politics in the Sudan: Parliamentary and Military Rule in an Emerging African Nation by Peter Bechtold

Research, as one might presume. Fortunately this project will probably not require reading the entire book, as I'm finding it rather dry.
uc pseudonym

Postby ADXC » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:06 pm

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

I thinks its really good in how it talks about the different way people deal with sin. Im on like chapter 16 right now. Serves me right for taking AP, we have to read in 2 weeks. Although the chapters aren't too long, its still like 200 and some pages. And Ive never read a book in 2 weeks.

So far we've read Macbeth and Hamlet. (Both very interesting plays I might add.)

Next we are reading Crime and Punishment. (Ooh, intense stuff. Thats at least what my teacher says anyway.

Last year, we read Great Expectations. ( That was a very long book, but its probably my favorite book so far in High School. Its just that I can relate to Pip sometimes.)
ADXC

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:32 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Captivating by Stasi Eldredge

Ooh, I read that book! It was pretty good; provided some insights I'd never thought about before.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kenshin17 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:15 pm

Soon to start Star Wars Legacy of the Force Fury, as well as the new Republic Commando book.

I am a Star Wars novel fan. I have a feeling I will like the Republic commando one better. I like reading about the none Force aspects of Star Wars better.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Alice » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:33 pm

The Good Samaritan Strikes Again, by Patrick F. McManus

Getting into character : seven secrets a novelist can learn from actors, by Brandilyn Collins
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:16 pm

The Original Revolution: Essays on Christian Pacifism by John Howard Yoder

I ran across this during the semester but didn't have time for pleasure reading then. Finals over, that has changed. Though it is as heavy and inaccessible as most of his writing, it is also rewarding.
uc pseudonym

Postby ADXC » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:02 pm

I finished the Scarlet Letter! Wow what sin can do to someone if not dealt with. I think all christians should read it just because it shows what can happen to someone when the either commit sin, hide it, or if someone acts very wrongly when they are sinned against.(Not to name any names, but Chillingworth!)
ADXC

Postby eternalprincess » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:38 pm

The Bible
Heros of Faith: Jim Elliot Missionary Martyr

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby Technomancer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:57 am

I've just finished A Perfect Red: Empire, Espionage, and the Quest for the Color of Desire by Amy Greenfield

I've just started The Walking Boy by Lydia Kwa.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kenshin17 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:17 am

I sorta started Fury then went and bought Enders Game. Never read, and was told it was worth a read. Seems to be good thus far.
Kenshin17

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:18 pm

The Mist- Steven King
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Technomancer » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design by Michael Shermer.

It's pretty much what the title says, although I understand there's some investigation of the social/political side of things, which is mostly what interests me. I doubt there'll be much new in terms of scientific discussion that I haven't already read.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:55 pm

Macbeth and Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby ADXC » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:57 pm

@ Darkelfgirl- Yeah I read Macbeth early on this year, it was very good. And be sure to read Hamlet which is also good. I also read Great Expectations last year, my personal favorite.

Oh and I also like your Tenchi Muyo sig!
ADXC

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:13 pm

About to Read "Voyage of the Dawn Treader", on the last chapter of Prince Caspian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 pm

Yesterday I read The Celebrated Leaping Frog of Calaveras County by
Mark Twain.
mitsuki lover

Postby Danderson » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:57 pm

Relentless by Robin Parrish...

...Definetly the sort of book that would be a great anime series rather then a movie....
Danderson

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:26 pm

Technomancer wrote:Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design by Michael Shermer.

It's pretty much what the title says, although I understand there's some investigation of the social/political side of things, which is mostly what interests me. I doubt there'll be much new in terms of scientific discussion that I haven't already read.

How would you evaluate it as a general book on the subject? Is it accessible to a semi-informed reader?
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:23 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:How would you evaluate it as a general book on the subject? Is it accessible to a semi-informed reader?

It is an easily accessible book in that it offers a basic overview of the subject, although more detail in parts would have been appropriate However, the actual discussion of intelligent design is only limited to a single chapter. His explanation of the logical fallacies that the "theory" rests upon isn't bad, although I suspect that many readers will find his writing on some of the actual scientific counter-examples to be unsatisfingly brief.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:22 am

Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic I've just recently gotten into Discworld thanks to some fans on CAA whose posts persuaded me to give it a shot. Really good stuff, I can see following this series for a good while.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Kenshin17 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:18 pm

Republic Commando True Colors
Kenshin17

Postby GeneD » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:10 pm

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. It's a bit of a parody of Macbeth and very funny.

As the cauldron bubbled an eldrich voice shrieked: "When shall we three meet again?"

There was a pause.

Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: "Well, I can do next Tuesday."
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:18 pm

A random story is somewhat relevant to my reading, so bear with me. For a Christmas eve service I played Jesus (there are only so many beards to go around), and all cast members were required to be there ridiculously early. So it was mildly amusing that I was dressed as Jesus while reading...

Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman

Interesting read (I finished it the next day). The question of textual criticism has been one I knew I needed to consider for a long time now, but this book is the occasion for me to do some serious thinking. I haven't come to a solid conclusion yet; while this is hardly faith-shaking it does significantly change the form.
uc pseudonym

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:24 am

Just picked up Maps in a Mirror by Orson Scott Card. Been in the mood for short fiction lately.
Aka-chan

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:47 pm

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

It has been a while since I read any evangelical atheism and I have been meaning to read this for some time. So far I have gotten sidetracked by the later chapters, but what especially interests me is his rebuttal of the finely tuned argument. I had always dismissed this as something from ID, but in a speech Dawkins mentioned it as an argument he thought could potentially change an intelligent person's mind (though a flawed argument, of course). Anything religious given a shred of respect from Dawkins has my interest, so we'll see what I make of it. Meanwhile, it is a decent read in general.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sheenar » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Ok, I'm trying to be careful with money, but I was at Hastings with a friend and we needed a place to sit down. Where we sat just happened to be in the Classic Literature section. (Ah, my weakness!:P). Anyway, I did well and limited myself to one book. (Though there were at least 12 that I wanted to read). I decided on The Phantom of the Opera. (Maybe another time, Sherlock Holmes :sniffle: )

I've heard a lot of good things about the novel (published in 1911), so it'll be an interesting read. I'm interested in how Andrew Lloyd Webber was inspired to make his musical.

I'm also about to start another book called Dangerous to Man. My friend's dad has it and said that I'd be interested (since I'm into wildlife and my major is Animal Science). It's about animals that are dangerous to man. Sounds cool. I find those "When Animals Attack" shows interesting because I like to try to figure out the basis for animal behavior. Why do they attack?, etc.
There's this story in the book about a Manhattan couple who were woken by their child's screams. They found a bunch of bite wounds on the boy and a rat on his pillow. The father swung a broom at the rat, and it bit his leg. The cat who was there to kill the rats was killed by a rat the week before. 43 rats were killed by exterminators in the tenemet after this happened. I didn't know rats were so bad...I thought they just ate stuff.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:40 pm

Moving away from some of the more serious literature recently...

All Star Superman by Grant Morrison

On one hand, the ideas in the series are solid and it is nice to see a permutation of Superman that embraces the super-human aspects of the story instead of attempting to limit them. But the first collected volume also felt scattered and poorly written. There is some bad pacing and I don't think all the elements have been juggled very well. I'm somewhat surprised it won an Eisner.
uc pseudonym

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:46 am

Currently working on:

Religion and Nothingness by Keiji Nishitani,
Beyond Death: Exploring the Evidence For Immortality by J.P. Moreland and Gary Habernas,
The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
GhostontheNet

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Got for Christmas and read most of Bill O'Reilly's Culture Warrior.
(Does it really matter if he was raised in Westbury or Levittown,NY?)
mitsuki lover

Postby Desu » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:38 pm

I finished Toni Morrison's "Beloved" over the Winter break and I'm currently reading "No Country For Old Men", Cormac McCarthy and "The Cherry Orchard", Anton Checkov.
Desu

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner