Good Christian video game

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Nate » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:06 pm

teen4truth wrote:Something can't be 'overtly wholesome' and cool at the same time?

I beg to differ.

It can be, but more than likely it won't be. To most Christian video game companies "overtly wholesome" means total garbage like "The Bible Game." I really wish Christian game companies would realize Bible quiz crap is not fun or cool.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby bakura_fan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Nate wrote:It can be, but more than likely it won't be. To most Christian video game companies "overtly wholesome" means total garbage like "The Bible Game." I really wish Christian game companies would realize Bible quiz crap is not fun or cool.

...I thought it was cool...and fun....so what does that make me? ;-; *sigh*
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:24 pm

As a whole I agree with Nate: "overtly wholesome" generally becomes too specialized (like Bible trivia, which appeals to almost no one) or too generalized (something like Mario that is decent but really has nothing to do with Christianity).

[quote="bakura_fan"]...I thought it was cool...and fun....so what does that make me? ]
A small portion of the population. That doesn't make you garbage, but you should realize you're relatively rare.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kenshin17 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Hm...

I think that, like has been mentioned, games should simply be designed from a Christian perspective and not as "Christian Games"

A war game is not necessarily Un-Christian. After all God ordered His people to fight before. WW1 and 2 needed to be fought. War is not ungodly. The key is that those games not be gratuitous. Gore, language....etc. There will be times when fighting is necessary. Thats how a Christian could approach FPS.

However I think when one steps into sci-fi and fantasy one gains a lot of freedom, after all you are no longer dealing in reality, so the key in these games is simply to stifle gratuitous content, and content (in the case of fantasy) that could contradict the Bible.

Also there are lots of possibilities in the realm of puzzle games for wholesome gaming. Think portal, and you have to make your way through missions "neutralizing" rather then killing opponents. The trick is to get through without killing. Puzzler.

I agree with above posters. The problem is not more Christian games, its more games that pull back on gratuitous content.

Although I do have to admit, I love Halo, Gears of War, StarCraft, etc, but I think those games can be dangerous to those who do not know, and are not grounded in, the truth
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:47 pm

Kenshin17 wrote:Also there are lots of possibilities in the realm of puzzle games for wholesome gaming. Think portal, and you have to make your way through missions "neutralizing" rather then killing opponents. The trick is to get through without killing. Puzzler.

[spoiler]Even if you wanted to you couldn't kill anyone in Portal except for yourself because you're the only human in the entire game.[/spoiler]
Kenshin17 wrote:Although I do have to admit, I love Halo, Gears of War, StarCraft, etc, but I think those games can be dangerous to those who do not know, and are not grounded in, the truth

Wait, so it's dangerous for non-Christians? What? Explain.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bakura_fan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:31 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:A small portion of the population. That doesn't make you garbage, but you should realize you're relatively rare.

Sometimes I wonder if that's a good thing or not. :( I don't like being that different...

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Kenshin17 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:54 pm

Mr. SP I sent a PM in regards to your question as I did not feel it was in line with the topic, and so as not to start any debates.

Also the point on Portal is taken, I simply used it as an example as it was to me a glowing example of a new generation puzzler, and a very cool one in my opinion.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:41 am

Sometimes I wonder if that's a good thing or not. I don't like being that different...

If everybody was the same then we'd be bored out of our minds. :D

About a Christian FPS... Real world violence isn't a sin in itself; it's a product of sin and a fact of life. I have zero problems with violence in a 'Christian' game, because if the game is built from a Christian worldview then you'll see how tragic the death and waste are. But again, I think that "Christian" games are a horrible, horrible idea. You shouldn't make an FPS specifically about Christianity unless you have a good story to tell; as in an underground church in China or whatever. My point is that ALL of these problems melt away if you construct the game in such a way that it points to truth, the nature of God, and the nature of man.

Here's an example:

A) Catechumen, Saints of Virtue, and Ominous Horizons = bad idea. The Christianity was token and wedged into a sub-par FPS. All they are, really, is a demons vs. angels blaster with some imagery and symbolism.

B) A theoretical game in which you control a member of a futuristic Urban Containment team whose job is to find and destroy Christian underground meetings. This could be extremely powerful as you force the player to fight against people who have seemingly done no wrong, but are nevertheless declared to be terrorists by the all-powerful State. Through the development of the story the once-passionate main character can grow to the point that he no longer supports his government's actions and joins the Christian revolution. This, IMO, would be a plausible setting and plot for a Christian game if you *really* wanted to make a overtly Christian setting and story.
Godly Paladin

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:48 am

Godly Paladin wrote:B) A theoretical game in which you control a member of a futuristic Urban Containment team whose job is to find and destroy Christian underground meetings. This could be extremely powerful as you force the player to fight against people who have seemingly done no wrong, but are nevertheless declared to be terrorists by the all-powerful State. Through the development of the story the once-passionate main character can grow to the point that he no longer supports his government's actions and joins the Christian revolution. This, IMO, would be a plausible setting and plot for a Christian game if you *really* wanted to make a overtly Christian setting and story.

Oh my brownies, this actually sounds like a good idea!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:09 pm

Kenshin17 wrote:A war game is not necessarily Un-Christian. After all God ordered His people to fight before. WW1 and 2 needed to be fought. War is not ungodly.

For the sake of avoiding theological debate, this train of thought should be abandoned.

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Wait, so it's dangerous for non-Christians? What? Explain.

This is tangential, but I hope relevant. I think that maturity is required for that type of game and the quality is rarer than usually acknowledged. For example, I know people who play violent games and that really does leak over into their real lives as far as violent attitudes. While this doesn't have to do with the quality of a person's faith, it should be a concern for Christians.

Godly Paladin wrote:B) A theoretical game in which you control a member of a futuristic Urban Containment team whose job is to find and destroy Christian underground meetings. This could be extremely powerful as you force the player to fight against people who have seemingly done no wrong, but are nevertheless declared to be terrorists by the all-powerful State. Through the development of the story the once-passionate main character can grow to the point that he no longer supports his government's actions and joins the Christian revolution. This, IMO, would be a plausible setting and plot for a Christian game if you *really* wanted to make a overtly Christian setting and story.

This is exactly the kind of thinking there should be more of, if Christian gaming is to go anywhere.
uc pseudonym

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Maybe you guys will buy my novel if it gets published, then, because that's the synopsis.

I concur with UC that it's not really a matter of Christian/Non as much as just a general maturity level. Many say that violence in games doesn't affect people's real-life attitudes and habits, but I think the people who argue for that simply haven't encountered the 'right' people, so to speak. This is just begging to go OT, though, so I'll end it there.
Godly Paladin

Postby Tarnish » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Well...I'm not really sure how on-topic this is, but I think it's probably worth throwing out.

http://justadventure.com/Previews/Heaven/Heaven.shtm

I don't know what to think of it, really. It doesn't look *good* per se, but it doesn't look too overtly Christian-exclusive either (for a Christian game). Too early to tell for me, though. Make of it what you will, it does seem to have some pretty solid talent going into it.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:01 pm

Is it a Christian game at all?

Definitely odd. Can't tell if it's a comedy or serious or cartoony or realistic or what. It seems to be all at once.
Godly Paladin

Postby Tarnish » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:03 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:Is it a Christian game at all?

The Genesis Works website says "Christian Game Developer"...and that's it. So I'm guessing it is. Take a look.

http://www.genesisworks.com/

Definitely odd. Can't tell if it's a comedy or serious or cartoony or realistic or what. It seems to be all at once.

Like I said...it looks to early to tell. But looking at its most recent trailer, I'd say it'll have a pretty cartoony way about it.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Random Thoughts

Postby Dante » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:17 pm

While this may seem completely random... I predict that even though she isn't working on such a thing to the best of my knowledge... The first truly great original Christian Video game will be produced by Inkhana :P. But this will likely likely never happen (lest she were somehow inspired to do such a thing) but meh, I could be wrong... just something of shear randomness.

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Sheenar » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:30 pm

bakura_fan wrote:Ominous Horizons. It's pretty good. It's actually the best Christian game I've ever found. It intrigued me cause it was rated T. I was curious how a Christian game could be rated T.
I have yet to beat the ancient egypt level. *sigh*
http://www.n-lightning.com/ominoushorizons.htm

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?event=AFF&p=1010025&item_no=0091915

Also, that game was awesome! ^_^ the one on Youtube. I wish that our computer hadn't fried itself cause I never got past like...the railroad...or something like that...I don't remember...I was like...7...or 9....or something like that. lol. ^_^ I wonder where I could find it again to play....hmm....

I played Ominous Horizons too. I liked it. It had good graphics and decent gameplay. I just had trouble with the controls --those Jackal-headed things kept popping up and scything me...:sniffle:
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby HiddenWoodchuck » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:48 pm

Nate wrote:It can be, but more than likely it won't be. To most Christian video game companies "overtly wholesome" means total garbage like "The Bible Game." I really wish Christian game companies would realize Bible quiz crap is not fun or cool.

I'm going back a bit in this post but... what? Total garbage? Bible quiz crap? This is my opinion... obviously, since I am writing it, but I didn't think it was total garbage.... that is really going a bit far. I love games like Portal, Morrowind(sp?), Oblivion, Bioshock, Eternal Sonata, Twilight Princess, Phantasy Star... most FPS games... role playing... etc... but I like a break every now and then, and something like a Bible quiz game seems really cool to me... I love reading the Bible, so it is neat seeing what I am able to remember, and if I can't, I will be able to go back and read over that again... granted, that game... "The Bible Game" did not pull it off very well, it was much better then the other so called "Christian" stuff I played in the past. I think Bible related games can be fun... just wish someone could pull it off better. I wish I knew more about game creation, but too busy with work to even think about it.

I think like most have said, these games that try to clone popular games and make it Christian themed, they turn out dumb... just like, when I go to a Christian book store and see... Christian bottle cap openers? Christian breath mints? WHAT? I'm guilty of buying the breath mints, but I think it's hilarious and that it is the same with the majority of the Christian games... but I give kudos to the ones who have tried to make good games... left behind doesn't count lol

I think for me, games have normally been a way for a few friends and I to just laugh, have a good time and fellowship while playing, or in between a gaming session... however I wouldn't mind if a good Christian themed game came along, I would love it... but it is too bad that most turn out laughable. I really wish it wasn't like that.
Per his request, this user has been temporarily banned
HiddenWoodchuck

Postby bakura_fan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:11 pm

Sheenar wrote:I played Ominous Horizons too. I liked it. It had good graphics and decent gameplay. I just had trouble with the controls --those Jackal-headed things kept popping up and scything me...:sniffle:

yeah, that's what keps getting me. Any clue how to defeat those stupid moving statues(is there a way)? The part I allways die on is where you chase after that demon down the hall and he summons the scarabs and anubis thing to kill you. I must admit...it works quite well *sigh*. I found a walkthrough for the game but all it said was "kill them then continue." I was like, "how!?".

Later I'm gonna see if I can get my xbox 360 controller to work on that computer to see if it will work with the game. *shrugs* here's hoping....

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:39 am

Bakura_fan, you can't kill the statue pharaohs, you just need to run away and try and always keep your face towards them if you can (as soon as you turn your back to them, they will lunge at you - very cool).
As for all the sacrabs and other nasties, you just time your shots well and you won't have problem killing them. There are angels to upgrade your sword etc.

Ominious Horizons isn't great but it's okay (way better than most Christian games). My main peeve is the lack of complex gameplay, level design and the Sword of the Spirit shoots fireballs? It's a sword - it should swing, slice, stab etc.

Anyone know how to run it on Windows XP? I haven't played the game in awhile.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:31 am

I've only ever played in on XP; the game supports it natively - did you have problems running it?
Godly Paladin

Postby bakura_fan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Bakura_fan, you can't kill the statue pharaohs, you just need to run away and try and always keep your face towards them if you can (as soon as you turn your back to them, they will lunge at you - very cool).
As for all the sacrabs and other nasties, you just time your shots well and you won't have problem killing them. There are angels to upgrade your sword etc.

Ominious Horizons isn't great but it's okay (way better than most Christian games). My main peeve is the lack of complex gameplay, level design and the Sword of the Spirit shoots fireballs? It's a sword - it should swing, slice, stab etc.

Anyone know how to run it on Windows XP? I haven't played the game in awhile.

...that's what I thought. I got the upgrade's..but I agree...hack and slash would be good...but that might have made it too violent for a christian game? :sweat:

I'm curious, at the Cosa Mesa place (the first level), did you ever reach that one room that has the plank to cross it, and have no plank or any graphics there for that matter? Like I could tell i was in a room after I fell down, but it was all dark, and no exit...at all. I restarted the game to find that it was a game glitch. So did any game glitches ahppen to you guys or is it jsut my crappy comptuer?

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:57 pm

Bakura, I think it's just your computer, I didn't have any graphic problems when I could run it.

Godly Paladin, yes I have problems running Ominous Horizons but only since I've had service pack 2 installed and got a ASUS NVidia 6600GT (like I said, I haven't played it in a long time). lol I go into the game, the intro movie plays and then when that finishes it kicks me back to the desktop.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby AJV » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:17 pm

I have a couple of Christian computer games like: Saints of Virtue and War in the Heavens (I think that's what it's called).
Though it's been a long time since I've played them.

I wish someone would make a Christian Version of Guitar Hero.
IMO It would Rock :rock:
AJV

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:21 pm

AJV wrote:I wish someone would make a Christian Version of Guitar Hero.
IMO It would Rock

Same mechanics with Christian artists? I can imagine that would be commercially successful, so perhaps there is a place for it. However, it wouldn't really be fundamentally more Christian than the original, at least in my opinion.
uc pseudonym

Postby AJV » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:25 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Same mechanics with Christian artists? I can imagine that would be commercially successful, so perhaps there is a place for it. However, it wouldn't really be fundamentally more Christian than the original, at least in my opinion.

I was thinking it could be sold as an expansion pack or something like that.
AJV

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:25 pm

After I get my story out, I plan to make some video games centered around God, and other media that honors our Lord. I have great faith it will work out as well.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby Kat Walker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:00 am

I think that is what most of us wish "Christian videogame" meant. Forcing things like prayer or spiritual warfare to be game mechanics is an inherently bad (though not unworkable) idea in my opinion. Most of us are Christians in the sense that we go about our lives and deal with the tenets of our faith in the process. What's wrong with a game based on the same premise... albeit with someone whose life works better for a game?

YES.

Maybe basing your quest around a literal interpretation of Ephesians 6:10-18 is cute and fun for a kid's video game. But solving Bible trivia in order to find the sandals of peace or whatever is NOT material for a serious adult game. This has become such a cliche in Christian multimedia it's not even funny.

And I agree that trying to use prayer as a part of your system is a bad call. That misrepresents what prayer really is and how it works - reducing it to another weapon in your battle system is definitely going to give non-Christians the wrong idea.

I'd also like to see the concept of "spiritual warfare" in Christian games involve something other than a demonic shoot-em-up. Obviously, real Christians don't go around slaughtering satan's minions with uzis and swords. Besides, do any of these developers read the Bible? Fallen angels are incredibly intelligent, beautiful beings that use manipulation and trickery. They aren't ugly red monsters with horns. Someone needs to make a game were the warfare is subtle and psychological, and much more difficult to combat.

As a whole I agree with Nate: "overtly wholesome" generally becomes too specialized (like Bible trivia, which appeals to almost no one) or too generalized (something like Mario that is decent but really has nothing to do with Christianity).

I think if we want to push the envelope on quality Christian games, we need to:

A.) Be extremely creative about it and stop riding in the wake of whatever is popular (if we want a religious video game to be embraced by non-Christians, it needs to be twice as unique and interesting as the average secular fare)

and

B.) Not be clumsy, inept, or heavy-handed with the Christianity in the game, but also not water it down to the point where it is irrelevant
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby Sparx00 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:13 am

I was kinda planing on makeing a christian video game later in life, but it would have to be rated M. The Bible isn't exactly G rated. I was thinking about starting when moses was born then work my way up from there makeing a series.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:34 pm

'Someone needs to make a game were the warfare is subtle and psychological, and much more difficult to combat.'

Kat, that sounds completely amazing! I would love a psychological horror/thriller/adventure/action game hybrid.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Sanji07 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:08 pm

Yokuo wrote:Quoted for truth.

Seriously, it can be wholesome, with awesome Christian values, and cool at the same time.

It depends I suppose. If you want to draw people to Christ who are not Christians, then perhaps you should just make a game with some Christian elements. On the other hand, if you are trying to draw Christians who are trying to find games that are fun AND glorifies God, then a wholesome game would work. (these are my opinions. I might edit this soon...)
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Previous Next

Return to General