What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:51 pm

I went to the library to day and found It's Superman! by Tom De Haven.
Basically he reworks the Superman mythos into its original 1930s setting.
mitsuki lover

Postby revolution » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:48 pm

LittleTokyo91 wrote:This Present Darkness by Frank Perretti...I hope I spelled his last name right hehe..

There is a sequel to it called Piercing the Darkness of you like this novel. I just finished it. ^_^
You dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than who is in the world." 1 John 4:4
revolution

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:34 pm

Prisoners Without Trial by Roger Daniels

Preliminary reading for my research project.
uc pseudonym

Postby Alice » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:03 pm

I borrowed a lot of "grown up" books from the library today, but when I got home, what is it I can barely put down? Two fantasy books for young folks:

The Mistmantle Chronicles, book one: Urchin of the Riding Stars, by M. I. McAllister

Elissa's Quest, by Erica Verrillo
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:53 pm

The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware

It seems I'm not quite as informed about the Earth Orthodox tradition as I had believed, though this book will change that.

Also, I finished Breath, Eyes, Memory and I'm more than slightly irritated. That's it? I guess I shouldn't have expected some early hints of plot development to pan out, but the character-based plots disappointed me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sohma » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:01 pm

His Dark Materials - book 1: The Golden Compass. As a big fantasy reader many people have recommended this book to me. I finally bought it and after the first page I was in love. Though some may find the beginning a bit slow I was captivated by Phillip Pullman's beautiful writing style.

This is from Amazon.com: Here lives an orphaned ward named Lyra Belacqua, whose carefree life among the scholars at Oxford's Jordan College is shattered by the arrival of two powerful visitors. First, her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, appears with evidence of mystery and danger in the far North, including photographs of a mysterious celestial phenomenon called Dust and the dim outline of a city suspended in the Aurora Borealis that he suspects is part of an alternate universe. He leaves Lyra in the care of Mrs. Coulter, an enigmatic scholar and explorer who offers to give Lyra the attention her uncle has long refused her. In this multilayered narrative, however, nothing is as it seems. Lyra sets out for the top of the world in search of her kidnapped playmate, Roger, bearing a rare truth-telling instrument, the compass of the title. All around her children are disappearing—victims of so-called "Gobblers"—and being used as subjects in terrible experiments that separate humans from their daemons, creatures that reflect each person's inner being. And somehow, both Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter are involved.

I must say this really doesn't do the book justice, but it tells you what the book is about ;D
I just finished the second book in the Edge Chronicles (The names of the authors slip my mind lol) I love those books, they are great if you are looking for a quick-read (I recommend getting the paper-backs considering the hard-backs are still very short and quite expensive lol.)
[SIZE="6"]ily.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Genesis 27:4
"When you prepare the tasty food that I love, bring it to me, and I will eat. Then I will bless you before I die."[/SIZE]
Sohma

Postby Technomancer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:39 pm

I've recently finished Mainspring by Jay Lake.

I've also just started Snowball Earth by Gabrielle Walker, which recounts the discovery of a truly global ice age ~700 million years ago, in which even the tropics werce frozen.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Alice » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:39 pm

I'm also reading The Gods of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It's awfully fun -- really fast-moving and a bit overblown, with tons of action.

And no one dared
Alice

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:50 pm

i'm reading The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Alice » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:58 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i'm reading The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

Oo, an excellent book!

And no one dared
Alice

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:48 pm

Sohma wrote:His Dark Materials - book 1: The Golden Compass. As a big fantasy reader many people have recommended this book to me. I finally bought it and after the first page I was in love. Though some may find the beginning a bit slow I was captivated by Phillip Pullman's beautiful writing style.

I really liked The Golden Compass. It has, like, three climaxes! :wow!: I didn't like the other two books in the trilogy as much, but don't let me lessen any enjoyment you might have when you read them.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Paul M. Angle, A Pictorial History of the Civil War Years.
mitsuki lover

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:16 am

I was reading Stephen King's It but put it down. I may or may not pick it back up again later, but leaning towards "not." (It was giving me bad dreams. I don't recall a book ever doing that to me, and that tells me something. . . .) So I'm reading Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World and George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. Also waiting patiently for my ordered copy of Andrew Vachss' Flood to arrive at Barnes & Noble.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:56 am

I had to put the book I was reading down to but for different reasons,it was one that I have had for awhile and the pages were starting to fall out.
mitsuki lover

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:05 pm

"I Am Spock" by Leonard Nimoy.

Not to be confused with his other book "I Am Not Spock". Guess he finally wised up. :P

Almost makes you want Vic Mignona to put out a book called "I AM NOT A SHRIMP!!!!!"

Here's the proof.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:01 pm

Our library is having its annual Friends of the Library book sale this coming Wednesday and Thursday(3 & 4 of October).So I will see what I can pick up.
mitsuki lover

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:22 pm

Yay, I got my Andrew Vachss book! I love Barnes & Noble. It's right down the street from me and if I order something it only takes about 2 or 3 days to come in.
I'm really starting to get into Vachss' Burke novels. Reading one is like eating a bag of wasabi nuts. Each chapter hits you like a swift kick in the face, then when the fire in your head dies down you can't wait to dig into the next chapter.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:29 am

We're having our Friends of the Library book sell on Wed. and Th. of this week so I shall see what I can come up with.
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:42 pm

Well here is what I was able to get at the book sell today(lot of people
crowding in a small area):
1.Mark Twain,LIFE AS I FIND IT ed.by Charles Neider
2.Mark Twain,THE MYSTERIOUS STRANGER AND OTHER STORIES
3.John Steinbeck,TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY,IN SEARCH OF AMERICA
4.Madeleine L'Engle,A WRINKLE IN TIME
5.Margaret Wander Bonanno,PRETERNATURAL
6.Max Byrd,JEFFERSON,A NOVEL
7.Urusula K.LeGuin,BUFFALO GALS,WON'T YOU COME OUT TONIGHT
8.Tim Dowely,BACH
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:22 pm

Shattering the Stereotypes: Muslim Women Speak Out (colletion)

I was not expecting the polemic language of the forward (that author was actually exiled from Egypt for her views, amusingly enough) and I imagine most members here would fare worse. But if you don't mind a strong political position, it looks to be from an interesting perspective that is often not heard in America.
uc pseudonym

Postby Fionn Fael » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:20 am

Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya. What can I say? I can't resist a novel from the "Banned Books" list. But of the materials I've read from the list, this one is certainly mild in comparison. I can see almost no reason for it to be banned from high school libraries. I am enjoying it, though.

I recently finished As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. I adored it. I'm doing a research project over it for my English class.
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:51 pm

I read the Leguin book and also Life As I Find It by Twain so two down.
The two most vitriolic pieces in the Twain were:The Czar's Soliquy and
King Leopold's Soliquy,the latter dwelt with the abuses in Belgian Congo at the time.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:02 pm

When War is Unjust: Being Honest in Just War Thinking by John Howard Yoder

A solid work on the subject without making any absolute demands. I think one of his central points (that Christians have historically not used just war theory but mostly Machiavellian principles) is valid and important to note.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:14 pm

A Biologist Looks at Religion by Victor B. Scheffer.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:57 pm

The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:01 pm

The Response of the Historic Peace Churches to the Internment of Japanese Americans During World War II by Charles Lord

Can you say thesis? I can!
uc pseudonym

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:49 am

Japanamerica by Roland Kelts.

It's an okay book, but I kinda have an issue with him calling the dad in My Neighbor Totoro perverse.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:49 am

Inuyasha Profiles Book.I'm up to Kikyo now.
mitsuki lover

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:07 pm

[color="Blue"]House[/color] of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski
Htom Sirveaux

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:15 pm

The Myth of a Christian Nation by Gregory Boyd

An enjoyable read so far, but I'm only through two chapters. As one would expect from an evangelical, on matters of theology he quotes massive amounts of scripture. This will be a useful resource in the future.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner