Good Christian video game

Talk about anything in here.

Good Christian video game

Postby Lone Gamer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:34 pm

Anybody ever thought of a really good Christian video game cause i'm getting tired of seeing crap like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq5a8BSZLFE
making us look bad like we have no imagination. Somebody could actually make a Christian based video game without having to harm or kill a person *coughleftbehindcough* or atleast thats what i've heard about it. Somebody could make a game based on spiritual warfare, where you battle against your flesh and demons, and also going through obstacles. It could be like a Legend of Zelda type where when you progress through the game you get items and weapons like the sword of the word of God, and the belt of truth.It could also have some RPG elements.

Am I the only one who has been thinking of this?
Lone Gamer

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:08 pm

Believe it or not, this is generally considered one of the better Christian video games. Sure, it's obviously a Zelda derivative (I smiled at the naming screen), but it does have decent gameplay.

In any case, you are hardly alone in wanting quality games made from a Christian perspective. The subject has come up repeatedly on these forums. But the issue is difficult, because making quality games requires funds and these are not as readily available as games would have you believe. Many Christian organizations that could provide adequate funding would not approve of the type of game most of us want.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:20 pm

The idea of a successful Christian videogame is something I am highly skeptical of.

"You found the Plate Armor of Righteousness!'
"You found the Sword of 1000 Truths!*"
"You found the Shield of God's Holiness!"
"You found the Mace of Judgement!"

Sounds kind of corny to me.

Really, the only Christian videogames I could see working would be one that incorporated the "ye old times" environment with some buff macho man running around and slaying demons in the name of God, or something. But we kind of have too many hack and slash games to begin with. *Points to God of War, Heavenly Sword, etc*

*Made to Salzman's specifications and stored on a 1 Gig flash drive.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:52 pm

As far as I remember... Left Behind the game was horrific, and featured prayer magic and warfare between demons coming out of UN troop carriers and left behind... groups.

Other than being uncreative and really difficult to play (I never came close to beating it, partially due to the obscene "password" based save system), the game you showed, spiritual warfare (unfortunately) is one of the better games out there. In it you collect the armor of god (effects and occassionally weapons) and the fruit of the spirit (projectile weapons) and use them to "convert" people and kill demons. Essentially, its the game you described in your opening post, in 2D.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:17 pm

Lone Gamer wrote:Somebody could make a game based on spiritual warfare, where you battle against your flesh and demons, and also going through obstacles. It could be like a Legend of Zelda type where when you progress through the game you get items and weapons like the sword of the word of God, and the belt of truth.It could also have some RPG elements.

Am I the only one who has been thinking of this?

I'm always fairly skeptical of things like this; that is, taking something from popular culture and reworking it to slap a "Christian" label on it. Most Christian entertainment is, sadly enough, fairly uncreative, and mostly because of ideals like, "oh, it could be just like this, only 'Christianized.'" I mean, what's going to make the game stand out if it's just Zelda or Final Fantasy under a "Christian" skin? Just something to think about.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Danderson » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:39 pm

No exactly what you mean Lone Gamer.....It's funny, but when I was younger (and had way to much time on my hands) I actually started making ideas for a spiritual warfare MMORPG, that had you be an angel in the army of God...

Unfortunetly, I think the only way a great Christian based game will ever be made is if it's creator(s) have an understanding of how the lessons, morals, and stories from the Bible can be aplyied to everyday life, yet be able to pull it off in a creatively, interactive way that wouldn't be corny and/or cliched, yet still come off as clean. Also, the creators would not officially label it as a Chrisitian game, but as a game that has values and morals that are Christian-based....
Danderson

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:35 pm

Duuude, I think my neighbor had that old Nintendo game...
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Nikolai Melodie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:08 am

Believe it or not, I have that game around here somewhere. It was my brother's when he was a kid.... a good 15 years before I was around. Whoo, age gap .
:angel:
Nikolai Melodie

Postby Nate » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:30 am

That game is so terrible. You lose the Belt of Truth for going into the bar? What kind of crap is that?

Actually we covered the subject of Christian video games rather in depth in one of the earlier episodes of the CAA Gamecast (SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION). The problem is that making a Christian video game is exceptionally difficult, if not flat out impossible.

The problem is that the nature of our religion does not lend itself well to game mechanics. For example, if I am in desperate need of a job, I will pray, "Lord, please help me find a job." But what if it is God's will that I not get a job yet, for whatever reason? I will pray, but God will say, "Not yet."

In a game, you usually want the ability you select to work. But what if it never works, just as if I may pray for something and I may never get it? That's no good. And to me, reducing the awesome power of prayer to an "ability" or to take the place of magic, is a very bad move.

Speaking of which, what kind of setting would this be in? A fantasy setting wouldn't lend itself well to Christianity, what with elves, orcs, wizards, Raise Dead spells, and so on. But a real world setting, well, then you basically have like...the Sims, but with Christian characters...which isn't really too innovative.

All of us as Christians are currently in a spiritual war with Satan and the forces of our own inherent sinful nature, and none of us have divine armor/weapons in a literal sense, nor do we have any fantastical powers like fireballs or lightning bolts. So the idea of a regular person gaining "Armor of God" in a literal sense and fighting demons is absurd and terrible, and not very Biblical to boot IMO.

But then even if you have a game that merely reinforces good morals, what good is that? Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism...all of these religions reinforce good morals and niceness too, and they're hardly Christian. Christianity is not defined by morals, but by Jesus Christ...which is why a game that merely promotes "good morals" fails as a Christian game by my standards, because it could just as easily promote Buddhism.

Which leads to that a Christian game that reinforces Christian values would have to do so in an extremely preachy way, or by having that lame "Bible quiz" crap so many Christian games are fond of.

I think the idea of making a Christian video game is, well, a red herring. David Perry, the head of Shiny Entertainment back in the day, made Earthworm Jim among other games. He is a Christian from what I have heard (attended a Methodist college too), and his games are not overtly Christian.

We do what we do to honor God. Whether the things we create honor God in and of themselves, isn't important. ChristianKitsune and other CAA artists draw lots of pictures, most of which aren't Christian pictures. But they still do it in praise of God. I think video games should be the same way. Not necessarily Christian in nature, but created in honor of the talents God has given us.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:08 am

Ahem. I know it isn't perfect, but I am trying to honor our Lord with it.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:27 am

I'm only posting here because it hasn't gotten four pages in yet, so let me say my opinion, which is this: we don't need "Christian" games/movies. What we need are games/movies/music that have an inherently Christian worldview. No kidding, most blatantly Christian games are going to come off as corny. And we don't even need games/movies told from a Christian character's perspective or with plots about religion. What we need is quality entertainment that portrays Christianity correctly and portrays sin correctly. You'll provoke more thought and speak more to people's souls that way than any other.
Godly Paladin

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:12 pm

Nate wrote:That game is so terrible. You lose the Belt of Truth for going into the bar? What kind of crap is that?

I completely agree. Presumably shooting people with fruit of the spirit helps them, so why wouldn't you want to help the people in the bar? Even from a morally conservative developer, I would expect a bar to be some kind of dungeon, not a random trap.

Godly Paladin wrote:we don't need "Christian" games/movies. What we need are games/movies/music that have an inherently Christian worldview. No kidding, most blatantly Christian games are going to come off as corny. And we don't even need games/movies told from a Christian character's perspective or with plots about religion. What we need is quality entertainment that portrays Christianity correctly and portrays sin correctly. You'll provoke more thought and speak more to people's souls that way than any other.

I think that is what most of us wish "Christian videogame" meant. Forcing things like prayer or spiritual warfare to be game mechanics is an inherently bad (though not unworkable) idea in my opinion. Most of us are Christians in the sense that we go about our lives and deal with the tenets of our faith in the process. What's wrong with a game based on the same premise... albeit with someone whose life works better for a game?
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. Rogers » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:38 pm

Christians need to learn to be creative on their own instead of just taking secular products and reworking them to Christianize them. Look back in the middle ages; Christian art was some of the best that was produced, now, all we do is a second rate (at best) job at copying everyone else and end up with crappy products, art, etc. We are friends with the most creative being in existance, we should reflect that in what we do.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:13 pm

Maybe Christians should hold off on trying to make "Christian games" for a while and focus on actually having a lick of skill at creating games period. [No offense intended towards anyone ~ take this as my prescription for the industry as a whole].

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Danderson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:What we need are games/movies/music that have an inherently Christian worldview.

Amen to that...:thumb:...I think that sums up the ultimate goal for a creative Christian in any media industry, whether it be film, gaming, music, etc...
Danderson

Postby Novi » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:32 am

Anyone heard about a game called "Ominous Horizons: A Paladins calling?" (or something)
I used to play it back when I was on primary school and it's in my opinion a pretty good christian game, atleast the best I've played. But yeah I gotta agree with Godly Paladin.
Novi

Postby Godly Paladin » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:50 am

It was pretty good - that and Catechumen at least were decent examples of their genre (FPSs), unlike Saints of Virtue, Heavenly War, and a couple others.

Did anyone ever play that...geez, what was it...um...I think Eternal Darkness: Shadows of Light? It was the online multiplayer FPS.
Godly Paladin

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:49 am

Eternal Darkness: Shadows of Light?

Decent FPS but the graphics were dated as anything. At least the gameplay was pretty fun, if basic. Definetly one of the better Christian games out there.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Godly Paladin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:26 am

Do you have a copy?
Godly Paladin

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:49 pm

No sorry, I just played the extended demo.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Godly Paladin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:57 pm

Ah, I was going to hook you up with a lonely $15 bucks. :p
Godly Paladin

Postby Lone Gamer » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:10 pm

When I get my own computer i'll show you guys and girls.
Lone Gamer

Postby minutz3 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Well, you guys ought to check out the Angry Video Games Nerds "review" of Bible games for NES :-P

<MOD SNIP>
minutz3

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:41 pm

minutz3:

That link was not appropriate for our audience here. Please review the rules of the board and be sensitive to our younger users.

Thanks,
Mithrandir
Mithrandir

Postby bakura_fan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:34 pm

Ominous Horizons. It's pretty good. It's actually the best Christian game I've ever found. It intrigued me cause it was rated T. I was curious how a Christian game could be rated T.
I have yet to beat the ancient egypt level. *sigh*
http://www.n-lightning.com/ominoushorizons.htm

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?event=AFF&p=1010025&item_no=0091915

Also, that game was awesome! ^_^ the one on Youtube. I wish that our computer hadn't fried itself cause I never got past like...the railroad...or something like that...I don't remember...I was like...7...or 9....or something like that. lol. ^_^ I wonder where I could find it again to play....hmm....
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby teen4truth » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:42 pm

*looks around dazed and confused*

I thought I was in the post ur pic thread.

*shys away slowly*
What's up? I'm an archaeologist, traveler, and Trekky.
I blog about my adventures as a traveler here:
http://unsettledvoyage.blogspot.com
I blog about my adventures as an alien hunting cowgirl in a parallel universe here:
http://alternatevoyage.blogspot.com
teen4truth

Postby Yokuo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Silly silly T4T, I see you haven't changed in my absense :P

My overall thought... is that a Christian video game would be awesome, if executed properly, without being cheesy. But just games from a Christian viewpoint would be good too (as previously stated)
If you ever need someone to talk to, or to pray for you, or to disciple you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Wow... I haven't been on here in like 2 years o_O

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
My rose is silver, instead of red!
Yokuo

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:00 pm

I just say that if you're going to make a Christian video game, put the Christian elements in there, but subtly. I think the only people who are going to want to play games that are overtly Christian are grade-school children (just my opinion, as I was like that when I was a lot younger). So, just like how a zookeeper feeds medicine to the animals (hides the pills in the food), we should slip in Christian messages in any Christian video games, so it's cool on the surface, and wholesome underneath.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby teen4truth » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:11 pm

Something can't be 'overtly wholesome' and cool at the same time?

I beg to differ.
What's up? I'm an archaeologist, traveler, and Trekky.
I blog about my adventures as a traveler here:
http://unsettledvoyage.blogspot.com
I blog about my adventures as an alien hunting cowgirl in a parallel universe here:
http://alternatevoyage.blogspot.com
teen4truth

Postby Yokuo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:01 pm

teen4truth wrote:Something can't be 'overtly wholesome' and cool at the same time?

I beg to differ.

Quoted for truth.

Seriously, it can be wholesome, with awesome Christian values, and cool at the same time.
If you ever need someone to talk to, or to pray for you, or to disciple you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Wow... I haven't been on here in like 2 years o_O

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
My rose is silver, instead of red!
Yokuo

Next

Return to General