What are conventions like?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Kamille » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:48 am

Ah, interesting. I went to Animazement this year and I'll be going to Anime USA as well. But since Animazement (2006) was the first con I'd ever been to, and holds a special place in my heart, Anime USA will have to be unbelievably great to overshadow it.
"Lives are power." - Kamille Bidan
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" - Christ the Lord (John 11:25-26)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. - James 1:2-4.

Remember - the Lord will be with you - always. :)
Kamille

Postby ADXC » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:36 pm

As tempting as it is to go to a big con, I prefer the smaller ones. Just because its easier to find stuff and I know where everything is. Yeah Animazement 2006 was my very first con as well. And Ive only gone to Animazement. Not that I don't want to go to other cons, it just that I don't have the time or the cash to do two a year.

Have y'all heard of another anime con starting in here NC in the year of 2010? I can't remember exactly where they're going to try it, but I heard this off of the Animazement forum a while back.
ADXC

Postby Kamille » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:53 am

animedude90 wrote:Yeah, also note don't take your sister or your mom to an anime convention unless they are VERY openminded. Because anything can happen at anime conventions, just like what happend to the Phoenix Wright panel which was at 1 am in the morning. Shoulda known it would happen because it was so late. But my love for PW clouded my judgement. Luckily my sister and mom didn't come that time, otherwise who knows what they thought. But in the end my dad told them about that, except this time mom thought it a shame for it not being totally about PW instead of being mad at us. Also don't go to Anime Hell. Its pretty much pointless in my eyes. AMVs, yes. AH, no. And also don't go to any musical type plays, they are a little funny but are extremely crude. Blitzkrieg might know what Im talking about. *Points to the musical "It seemed like a good idea at the time."* But there was one funny line I will remember, "Get your anime crap here, your anime crap!" And then the dude pours out just one box anime stuff onto a table, and people snatch the stuff up.

And still I press warning onto you who have yet to go to one of these conventions, be very diserning to what you go to and what you do not.

Even though I've never had a lick of interest in attending any AH, I always wanted to know what it was.

Also, I think I have heard of another con starting up in NC sometime in the foreseeable future. I think the forum said Greensboro, maybe?
"Lives are power." - Kamille Bidan
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" - Christ the Lord (John 11:25-26)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. - James 1:2-4.

Remember - the Lord will be with you - always. :)
Kamille

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:49 am

Hey yeah, I head about that. I thought it was going to be coming sooner than 2010, though.

Oh, and I'll be at Anime USA too! I'm anxious to see how it stacks up to AZ.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:15 pm

West Coast gets a nod here! :D

I've been to Kumoricon (Portland, Oregon) for the last two years. Last year I was a patron. This year, I was staff. Kumoricon is a good con for those who don't want to hit SakuraCon (Tacoma, WA) due to it's size, or don't want to be local, like Famicon (Boise, ID, from what I know). It's growing in size, but it still has enough of a smaller feel to it to make it seem just nice.

I've been to A-Kon and AX. A-Kon had a lot more drama than I would have liked (this was 2000, however, and things may have changed). AX was just plain out huge and there was too much to do. So, larger Cons are kinda out of my bill.

When it comes to Kumoricon, there are a few big things:

1) The main gigantic ballroom will be main events.
2) Live events will be in a smaller ballroom
3) FanFiction/Doll-Making/etc. will be in one room.
4) All the viewing rooms will be in one area.
5) The Dealer's Hall will be massive.
6) Don't cross Brownie.

That is all.
Sakaki Onsei

Postby ADXC » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:51 pm

@ Kamile-Well I didn't actually go to the AH. But I did overhear what was going on while waiting for the PW panel to start, and believe me its trash.

@ Blitzkrieg-Also have you been to the karoke panel? I haven't, but I would like to hear some wannabe singers sing their favorite anime opening or ending.

Also I think it might be in Greensboro, but I don't know anything about that one.
But there may be an anime convention in Fayetteville in the October of 2009 which is directly or somewhat directly opposite to the time of the AZ con. So yeah Blitzkrieg, your right about it being sooner than 2010. But also keep in mind its still in the planning stages and also this (If it happens) will be the first one they've done so it won't be as great as the AZ con, but should still be enjoyable. That is all.
ADXC

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:13 am

Wow, cons in Greensboro AND Fayetteville? On top of AZ? My years are gonna be busy! :)

I sat in on a little of the karaoke this year. It was... okay.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Postby ADXC » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:38 pm

Well yeah, the karoke is done by amatuers.

Ha, I would like to see some people do the Haruhi Suzumiya dance.
ADXC

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:18 pm

I wish I could go to a con...they have them around where I live, but I'm too *coughscaredcough* to go on my own. And it doesn't help that the anime club at my college possibly gets into yaoi/yuri/hentai.

What's a girl like me supposed to do?
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby ADXC » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Well, you don't have to go alone. I go with my father. And yeah, its quite a nervous thing to go to a con for the first time alone and naive. After you attend them a couple times you'll become more aware of whats going to be there and be more confident about going to them. Do you have any friends or relatives that you can go with that like anime? If so then take them and have fun, but be very cautious and have a christian spirit because there are some satanic people in there that take things that happen there out of proportion. But there are satanic people everywhere so you shouldn't feel scared about these things. Just remember the Lord wants you to have a little fun but within reason of course. And all you got to do is have a sound mind and be organized. Believe me you should have a schedule about what your going to do and when your going to do it. You do not want to be wandering around in circles unless at the time you want to see more of the con and/or you want to take pictures of people cosplaying. All cons should have a book about the panels(which are activities and/or sessions with quests) and the times when these certain panels happen. But you've got to try to be diserning about what you go to because not every panel is going to be a gallop through the tulips. And still keep God in mind about the events that He will give you spiritual clarity and disernment so that you won't end up in a panel that you know you shouldn't have entered to begin with. Because believe me this has happened to me a number of times. So I hope you'll be able to experience an anime con in the near future.
ADXC

Postby AsianBlossom » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:20 am

Thanks; that's some solid advice. Now, my brother might want to come (he wants me to dress up as a Pokemon trainer and he'll be my Pokemon), but I'm not sure if he'd find a whole lot to do. I mean, he likes anime, but I don't know how much. My dad might come, but I don't know if he's that interested. He's supportive of my hobby, but I don't know if he'd want to accompany me or not. And my mom definitely wouldn't.

But what I think would be fun is if I went with my brother AND a friend. That would make it even better.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby ashfire » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:43 am

One thing I have learned about going to cons, is that you start remembering people who attend cons or the same con.
Another thing is becoming part of the con staff. If you have something to contribute like speak Japanese, know how to operate equipment, or in my case provide emergency medical treatment to attendees and I dress has a Japanese EMS provider during the con so I sort of standout when needed.
Most cons will only let new people become part of the staff by starting as a go-for. You end up doing things like moving chairs, carrying items from one place to another or just doing odd jobs during the con. Then you move up and become more involve in the main part of the staff.
Neko Con I learn will have a new panel added for those that do not understand anime or its impact on the American life style today.
It will be called Anime 101. Its target group are parents, the news media and maybe new attendees.
ashfire

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:59 am

That's a good point. Getting involved in a con really can increase the level of enjoyment, especially since you get to know folks so much better over time.
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby airichan623 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:33 pm

Alexander (post: 1160799) wrote:Speaking as an anime fan, it's heaven. XD

Well, I've only gone to one, Anime Iowa since it's so local, but still amazing. The cosplayers from every series I knew of and beyond, the stuff (lots of stuff I might add), the feeling of just being in a community that actually shares your interest.

To put it simply, it's an incredible amount of fun and one you need to experience to really get a full taste of what it's like.

omg u know anime iowa!!! i'm gonna go this year!!! tips 4 a first timer?

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:05 pm

This thread is well over a year old. Please don't gravedig.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Previous

Return to General