Ελληνική

Talk about anything in here.

Ελληνική

Postby Anna Mae » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:01 pm

Ancient Greek, anyone?

I myself hardly count as a Greek scholar, being quite young in my study. I was wondering if anyone on CAA is learning/fluent in ancient Greek (or both, as the case may be :) ). For that matter, does anyone here know modern Greek as well?
[SIZE="4"][color="DarkSlateBlue"]God has called me to mission work in Paraguay and Brazil. I may return to CAA someday. God bless all of you![/color][/SIZE]

[i]Two vast and trunk-less legs of stone stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand, half sunk, a shattered visage lies. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare the lone and level sands stretch far away. On the pedestal these words are inscribed:

“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!â€
Anna Mae

Postby Ashley » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:47 pm

I've taken two years of Attic Greek in college; I just finished, actually. Honestly I didn't really like it that much--I really prefer Latin--but it was okay I guess. We read a lot of Plato (Critius, Phaedra) and a lot of Xenophon, as well as various excerpts from the Bible, Aescyus, Sophocles, etc.

What text did you use?
Ashley

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Some self-study in Classical and Koine Greek, just to learn a bit more about this important root of our culture. Never really became fluent in any sense of the word, but I can puzzle out passages as long as I have my dictionary close.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:53 pm

IT's all GREEK to me! D:

Lame joke I know

I admire anyone who takes on a langauge that isn't Spanish or French. (Thast the only optinos that I had..)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Ashley » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:49 pm

IT's all GREEK to me!

*groans* I heard this joke EVERY DAY of Greek class for two years. In between semesters, my mother constantly made that joke. Heck, it wasn't even that funny in Julius Caesar. I think that twitchy thing in the corner is the almost-dead horse that is that joke.
Ashley

Postby termyt » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:14 am

We have quite a few seminarians on this sight, so I'm guessing instead of an "if" it's more of a "how many."

Study of Greek and/or Hebrew is either required or strongly suggested on many seminary campuses.

As for me, graecum est; non potest legi.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Kkun » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:31 am

Ashley wrote:*groans* I heard this joke EVERY DAY of Greek class for two years. In between semesters, my mother constantly made that joke. Heck, it wasn't even that funny in Julius Caesar. I think that twitchy thing in the corner is the almost-dead horse that is that joke.

I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Icarus » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:13 pm

I know a little modern Greek since I worked for a Greek family for five years.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:08 pm

^^; sorry Ashley....
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Ashley » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:48 am

Oh it's fine CK; just a little gruff joking.

Termyt wrote:We have quite a few seminarians on this sight, so I'm guessing instead of an "if" it's more of a "how many." Study of Greek and/or Hebrew is either required or strongly suggested on many seminary campuses.

That's an excellent point]As for me, graecum est; non potest legi.[/quote]
Salve, amicum. Linguam romae es optimus. Semper ubi sub ubi.
Ashley

Postby termyt » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:46 am

Ashley wrote: Semper ubi sub ubi.

Words to live by! Everyone - right those down and practice them, if you are not already!
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Anna Mae » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:02 pm

Ashley wrote:What text did you use?
Well, I'm not in a class or anything right now (although I'd like to be). I do have the Septuagint and New Testament in Greek, though.

What were the differences between Greek and Latin that caused you to prefer the latter?
[SIZE="4"][color="DarkSlateBlue"]God has called me to mission work in Paraguay and Brazil. I may return to CAA someday. God bless all of you![/color][/SIZE]

[i]Two vast and trunk-less legs of stone stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand, half sunk, a shattered visage lies. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare the lone and level sands stretch far away. On the pedestal these words are inscribed:

Anna Mae

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:35 pm

Well, mostly grammatical. In both languages, word order is nothing; meaning and syntax are derived from endings (i.e., the subject ends in "ae", the direct object ends in "am"). And in both, there are different "types" of endings (declensions) for different sets of nouns/verbs. The difference is, Latin declensions are very different from each other, but they are more solid: a genitive always means a genitive and always looks like a genitive. Greek, however, is much more similar in its endings (i.e, the plural genitive will always be wn), but they are much more fluid in meaning. A word changes endings based on another word, meaning is derived from context; these and other non-nonsensical rules make it much more difficult to me.

The other thing was time. I had four years to study Latin in high school, and it was at a slower pace. I had two years to study Greek in college, with translation assignments every day and a chapter a day.
Ashley

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm going to take Koinae Greek in college starting in little more than a couple of weeks.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Okami » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:54 am

I wish I knew Greek...

and Latin, for that matter. Since we sing a bunch of Latin songs in Choir...and they say they used to teach Latin at our school D: WHYYY?!? Now we've only got Spanish and French D<
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Anna Mae » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:13 pm

[quote="Ashley"]In both languages, word order is nothing] I was aware of that, but is word order entirely irrelevant? Are there not nuances that could be derived? I think I once heard something about the most important words as far as meaning goes being stuck at the beginning...

Anna Mae

Postby Saint Kevin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:56 pm

Anybody have any resources on learning Greek (just the Koine for now, thanks)? I know nearly the entire Greek alphabet because of science using the letters for either constants or variables, but no real Greek as yet. I'm starting to really think of seminary as something I'd like to do, and getting a start on Greek in this next year could help me in that regard. Thanks for the help.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:41 am

I was aware of that, but is word order entirely irrelevant? Are there not nuances that could be derived? I think I once heard something about the most important words as far as meaning goes being stuck at the beginning...

In the more formal works, such as Cicero or Aristotle, there is a more formalized order. However, it would not be considered "bad grammar" to put things out of the normal order, especially in poetry where rhyme scheme matters more than official grammar rules.

Anybody have any resources on learning Greek (just the Koine for now, thanks)?

You can usually buy flashcards at Christian bookstores; I know for sure Lifeway carries them. I can't remember if they have both grammar and vocab, but you could at least get a jump on the vocabulary, as my experience has been they usually throw large chunks of it at a time towards you in Seminary.
Ashley

Postby Puguni » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 am

Anna Mae wrote:I was aware of that, but is word order entirely irrelevant? Are there not nuances that could be derived? I think I once heard something about the most important words as far as meaning goes being stuck at the beginning...

Word order is not entirely irrelevant. Sure, you could get away with making a sentence with a verb in a weird place, but the placement and's, but's and or's are important. Prepositional phrases are also a great help. It would be terrible if there were two consecutive ands. There are nuances, especially in Latin poetry. Virgil is known for making word pictures in lines...tmesis, anyone? XD

As for Greek...I took a three week crash course and burned. Ok, I'm only slightly kidding; the hard part is learning all the new letters. Coming from Latin, it wasn't too bad though. I'm still amused by the middle voice.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Anna Mae » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:54 pm

What is the middle voice?

Anna Mae

Postby Puguni » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:54 pm

Anna Mae wrote:What is the middle voice?

I'm going to assume you know about the active and passive voice. If not, there is a spoiler box in case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm more or less certain that the middle voice is when you do something with yourself, like, I walked by myself or I punched myself. Don't ask me why it's middle voice; Greek a little strange like that. XD

[spoiler]
Well, let me first start with the Latin part of it. There is an active voice and a passive voice. The active voice is what most people use all the time. The passive voice is something less used and viewed as a weaker statement. Here are some examples:

Active: I made a mistake.
Passive: Mistakes were made.

Active: He kicked the banana.
Passive: The banana was kicked by him.

Active: The mechanic made the bike.
Passive: The bike was made by him.

"By" is a common characteristic affiliated with the passive voice.

[/spoiler]
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Ashley » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:38 pm

Though that is one aspect of middle voice, our Greek professor stressed that it can sometimes be used for emphasis as well.
Ashley

Postby Anna Mae » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:26 pm

So middle voice is when one uses a reflexive verb?

Anna Mae

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:41 am

Has anyone else had trouble memorizing all these declensions/word endings? I have what looks like 96 to memorize by Wednesday [assignment was today, Monday] PLUS vocabulary words PLUS being able to use them to properly translate sentences with nearly no word order to help and with words missing [my prof. says the Greeks left out words they felt obvious in order to not sound condescending]. Add to this that the textbook we're using [Chase and Phillips' New Introduction to Greek ~ last listed copyright date was 1961] uses jargon I have never heard [proclitic, circumflex, subjunctive, optative, among others, plus all those grammatical terms no-one ever speaks unless they've got an English degree], and overall seems to assume you have some sort of intimate knowledge of grammatical jargon and thought [I am generally considered to have above-average English skills, but they have been naturally learned for the most part ~ like I said, I don't have a degree in the language!]. I want to get good grades in college [especially since my dad promised me a car if my grades are good], but I'm afraid of just barely making it through this class . . .

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Ashley » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:43 pm

The best way I had of memorizing endings was just pure, rote memorization: that is, spending hours a week reciting them out loud repetitively.

Vocabulary was always a million times easier for me--I always found ways to make me remember (like, "afros are so unwise" for the word asophros, unwise). The more creative the better!

As for the terminology, you could either look it up in Wikipedia, or just ask the professor to help clarify some of it. Most of my proffs are very eager to help, they just need to know what you need help in!
Ashley

Postby Anna Mae » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:44 pm

I got this idea after I started the thread, but I figure this would be a good place to ask my question. So you all know how Oedipus' name means "swollen ankle." I take it "oedi" is "swollen" and "pus" is "foot/ankle"? I need a parody name for a satirical tragedy hero, and I figure you Greek-savvy people can help me out. I'm thinking along the lines of something foot.

Anna Mae

Postby Noblewreck » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Anybody here? <cricket><cricket>
I'm just begining to take biblical Greek at my local church. Got the textbook last week. Second class was last weekend.
<cricket><cricket>
Okay, I'll go post something in the Avatar Caption Θread.
Noblewreck

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Please don't gravedig. This thread is over two years old.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Return to General