Ergo Proxy

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Ergo Proxy

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:38 pm

Holy frick this is a good series. It was boring at first for a little bit (Minus the whole Dystopia-flavor, that never fails) until I saw episode 9.

Massive Spoiler. Don't read unless you don't care or don't plan on ever watching Ergo Proxy.
[spoiler]The one where Vincent Law turns out to be Ergo Proxy[/spoiler]
Oh crap, this series is so good, I highly recommend it. Anyone else an Ergo Proxy fan? *Pokes Esoteric*
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:45 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Holy frick this is a good series. It was boring at first for a little bit (Minus the whole Dystopia-flavor, that never fails) until I saw episode 9.

Massive Spoiler. Don't read unless you don't care or don't plan on ever watching Ergo Proxy.
[spoiler]The one where Vincent Law turns out to be Ergo Proxy[/spoiler]
Oh crap, this series is so good, I highly recommend it. Anyone else an Ergo Proxy fan? *Pokes Esoteric*

hey, if MSP likes it, then it must be quite a good series. i'm still sorta waiting for a review to come out for this series...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:54 pm

XD I'll post a review once I finish it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby RobinSena » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:XD I'll post a review once I finish it.

Awesome. I have the first episode on a Newtype DVD(haven't watched it yet) but from the trailers and stuff it definitely looks cool.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby termyt » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:54 am

I've seen the first DVD and I would label it "interesting." On the outside, it looks like a Goth thriller, but in reality, it's just as much, if not more, more hard sci-fi.

I haven't seen episode 9 yet, though.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby kryptech » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 am

This looks quite intriguing to me. I'd like to check out the trailer again, and I'd definitely be interested in a review.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby Esoteric » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:56 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Oh crap, this series is so good, I highly recommend it. Anyone else an Ergo Proxy fan? *Pokes Esoteric*

*Ouch* Watch who you're pokin'! :lol:
Ah, Ergo Proxy. <3 I haven't gotten so much enjoyment out of watching an anime series in years. I'm up through disc 5, so just three more episodes to go. I can't even predict how it's going to end, but I'm just betting it's gonna be epic. 'Tis proving to be one of my all time favorites.
Esoteric

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:41 am

Esoteric wrote:*Ouch* Watch who you're pokin'! :lol:
Ah, Ergo Proxy. <3 I haven't gotten so much enjoyment out of watching an anime series in years. I'm up through disc 5, so just three more episodes to go. I can't even predict how it's going to end, but I'm just betting it's gonna be epic. 'Tis proving to be one of my all time favorites.

Oh, indeed it is XD The story is so intricately woven, as well as incredibly character-driven.

I finished episode 13, so I'm about halfway there. XD Ten more episodes to go!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:06 am

can someone get a trailer link up please? thanks!

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby kryptech » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:52 pm

I finally got all the trailers from http://www.ergoproxydvd.com/visual/index.html (dial-up builds patience)
Looks very cool... And the Pre-Production trailer is pretty long too. If the series is pretty clean I'll definitely try to get a hold of it.
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

kryptech

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:06 pm

kryptech wrote:http://www.ergoproxydvd.com/visual/index.html (dial-up builds patience)

dial-up!! XD i know how you feel my friend. i seriously do. anyways, thanks for the link. the series looks pretty crazy.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:57 am

Well I finished the series...

The last episode made my brain itch... I did not understand it at all. XD

Edit: Check out the opener. It's VERY beautiful and well-done.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zM0M6tW0Nvs
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby That Dude » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:16 am

This one is on my to watch list. Though right now I'm watching through Monster. About a little over halfway through that one.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:44 pm

How did I miss this thread? I was thrilled to see this anime was licensed and I looked forward to it eagerly. My watching has been erratic, but I haven't been disappointed.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:01 pm

That Dude wrote:This one is on my to watch list. Though right now I'm watching through Monster. About a little over halfway through that one.

hope you're enjoying Monster. it's truly an excellent series.

anyways, MSP the opening was quite something.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:49 am

Ergo Proxy looks great. I'll have to save up for it though because it was on a digital channel on tv 6 months ago (here) and we didn't have it then. Darn.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Tyrel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:13 pm

Yeah, I'm a huge Ergo Proxy Fan. One of my First Anime, and retains a permanent place in my heart. Really beautiful.

Did anyone else catch that all of that series is Sci-Fi + Philosophy + Gnosticism :wow!:

Probably why SmartyPants didn't catch the last episode stuff.. maybe.

I still don't understand it all either though. :sweat:
Tyrel

Postby Esoteric » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:15 pm

I also really enjoyed Ergo Proxy and consider it one of my all time favorites. However, in spite of that, I would have to admit that the last few episodes didn't quite live up to the awesome beginnings. The plot became a little too ambiguous as the mysteries shifted from the physical realm to the meta-physical--which, of course, are less tangible and far harder to grasp with any certainty. It wasn't a bad ending, but it also wasn't the best possible ending in my opinion. It certainly wasn't the one I had been anticipating.
Esoteric

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:14 pm

I really enjoyed Ergo Proxy although it was a little disappointing at times.
Pino was amazing!
I loved the blend of psychology, philosophy, sci-fi and noir to create the series. It's certainly not for action fans though (there is lots of talking and very, very little action).
The complexity of the series was both intriguing and confusing. I give it 8/10

Anyone care to point me to a website that explains Ergo Proxy and the storyline in a fairly-easy to understand manner?

Thanks!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby kryptech » Wed May 21, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm quite interested in checking out Ergo Proxy but unfortunately I can't rent it. Before I start purchasing volumes, I was wondering about objectionable content in the series. A few of you have watched all the episodes -- how much language / sexual content / false religion is there?

kryptech

Postby chibiphonebooth » Wed May 21, 2008 7:14 pm

yah man, how did i miss this???

I FREAKING LOVED IT.

one of my fave anime i think. <3333

from what i remember, kryptech, there is not a lot of language...and barely any sexual content. i think there were a couple scenes that implied things.. but nothing really bad or anything.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Esoteric » Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 pm

kryptech (post: 1228251) wrote:I'm quite interested in checking out Ergo Proxy but unfortunately I can't rent it. Before I start purchasing volumes, I was wondering about objectionable content in the series. A few of you have watched all the episodes -- how much language / sexual content / false religion is there?

Language usage varies between dub/sub, while not excessive, some characters do swear when angry or frustrated (Primarily using g--d---, b----- and s---) Expect typical PG-13 level language.

As far as sexuality, it's fairly tame. The first episode is the most risque (a female character is undressing for a shower, but is interrupted.) There is no blatant nudity, and very few 'underwear' scenes. There are no physical relationships between characters in the series, although some characters desire one.

Religion would be it's heaviest point. The show is very existential and therefore full of philosophical meanderings. In fact the show seems to take more pleasure in making you think than in giving you solid answers.
Later on, a certain character declares that humanity no longer needs God, however, in the context, he's not necessarily referring to God Himself, but to certain other things. It's very difficult to say more without spoiling the plot. However, I can say that in a crumbling dystopian future where humanity has sought to survive by any mean necessary, including genetic manipulation and artificial conception, the attribution of 'creator' can become confused.
If you want more info, PM me, but I can say that as a Christian, I wasn't offended by the philosophies presented, I simply didn't agree with all of them.

On a side note: I'm wondering, is it hard to find volumes now that Geneon is debunked? Right Stuf only seemed to have the last two volumes in stock last I time visited their site...
Esoteric

Postby kryptech » Thu May 22, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks for the content reviews, chibiphonebooth and Esoteric!

As for availability, when I checked now Right Stuf seems to have all 6 volumes in stock. I'd likely start with buying volume 1 from Chapters' online store as they also have all 6 and I've just received a Chapters gift card. ^_^ Sadly, neither store appear to sell a box set.

kryptech

Postby NekoChan_C » Sun May 25, 2008 9:27 am

I first learned of Ergo Proxy from an anime newspaper/magazine back in October of '06, and was thoroughly intrigued... I am a big fan of film noir, conspiracy theory and the anime The Big O and E/P looked right on par with that... I have only seen the first ten episodes, since Ichi and I were supposed to watch it together, but never got around to it, and I am ITCHING to get back on it!!!

Pure genius, wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with sugar.
Yes.
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby kryptech » Mon May 26, 2008 9:24 am

Well, I ordered volume 1 from chapters.indigo.ca and it arrived this morning! It'll be several days before I get a chance to watch it, methinks, but then I'll have some personal experiences with the first episodes.

NekoChan_C, the film noir (and dystopian) themes were largely responsible for catching my interest, too.

kryptech

Postby NekoChan_C » Mon May 26, 2008 9:34 am

Kryptech,

so then can you recommend some other anime (or movies, tv, etc!) that would play on those same interests? I am always open to new things! :)
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby kryptech » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:50 am

I did watch volume 1 and more recently ordered volume 2 from chapters.indigo.ca and watched that. Very cool stuff - right up my ally. Pretty crazy about Re-l in episode 7 - I wonder how that will turn out. The characters are all quite interesting and complicated. I'm definitely keen on collecting the rest of the volumes.

kryptech

Postby termyt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:12 am

I finally finished this series. My brain does not itch. Here's my take:
[spoiler]The planet is Earth, which was abandoned by Humans because it became unlivable due to <insert favorite eco-tragedy here>. The humans left behind Proxies (a proxy is one who acts in the absence of another in that other’s best interest) to see to the rehabilitation of the planet for which they would one day return.

Each Proxy created a city and it’s inhabitants to see about this goal. They were apparently meant to remain independent of each other – so much so it is said that when two proxies meet, they must fight each other. Through some event, the Proxy of Romdo came to fall in love with the Proxy of Mosko and he abandons his city to go to her leaving the elders in charge of Romdo. The proxy travels to Mosko to find it has been destroyed and its Proxy abducted.

He disguises himself as a human – forcing his human self to forget that he is a proxy (probably a side-effect of the process)– and returns to Romdo to search his love. His human self finds his heart’s desire and then goes on a journey of self-discovery in which we tag along in an attempt to learn the truth.

Vincent Law is the Proxy of Romdo. He falls in love with the Proxy of Mosko. When he leaves Rondo to go to Mosko, Romdo launches a military strike on Mosko and kidnaps their Proxy forcing her to take on a Human guise (named Re-L) and forget her true nature. Vincent returns to Romdo to find his love and is drawn to Re-L. They don’t get along (when two proxies meet…) but are drawn to each other.

The story ends with the destruction of the Proxy societies to make way for the returning humans. Vincent and Re-L decline to destroy themselves and instead await the arrival of the deus ex machina.[/spoiler]
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby RobinSena » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 am

Must.. resist.. reading.. spoilers...

XD

For anyone who's interested, RightStuf has added the Ergo Proxy Box set Preorder for $52.49, with a release date of Oct 7th.

This makes me oh so happy. ^_^
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:25 am

I need volume 2, it's the only one I didn't get.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews