Post a Few CDs To Introduce a Style Of Music

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby RedMage » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:47 pm

GhostontheNet wrote:If you were actually in the least bit familiar with the music that has been listed, you would realize just how wildly diverse it is.

Yeah, I'm sure, but for people who aren't already fans of this stuff, it's pretty esoteric. The thread title may as well be "Punk, Metal, and Electronica fans discuss minutiae." :lol: I'm not angry in the least, just amused.

For the sake of contributing something more useful and adding a little diversity...

Christian rap/hip-hop

John Reuben - The Boy Versus The Cynic
TobyMac - Momentum
Mat Kearney - Bullet

Alt country-rock

Reckless Kelly - Wicked Twisted Road
Cross Canadian Ragweed - Cross Canadian Ragweed
"Intercession is the homework of the Kingdom."
RedMage

Postby That Dude » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:42 pm

I just find what you posted under the christian rap/hip hop when they are only borderline on those genres.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby RedMage » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:14 pm

Better yet, why don't we change the title of the thread to "Post a few CDs and then argue about what genre they are"? That should cover all the bases. ;)

(Just kidding, folks. I'm out.)
"Intercession is the homework of the Kingdom."
RedMage

Postby That Dude » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:46 am

That sounds like a plan. ;)
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby That Dude » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:50 am

Progressive instrumental rock.

Godspeed! You Black Emporer - Lift yr skinny fists like antenna to the heavens.
That Dude

Postby Callisto » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:16 pm

I'm really bad at categorizing music, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Classic, mysterious:

Yuki Kajiura- "Fiction"
Yoko Kanno- "Songs to Fly"

Industrial, visual kei, rock, techno, classic, weird:

Közi- "Loki n' Roll", "Catharsis"

Oshare kei, rock, punk, synth:

LM.C- "GLITTER LOUD BOX"

Opera, classic, techno, synth, mysterious:

The Eccentric Opera- "Hymne", "Eccentric Opera"

Eurobeat:

"Super Eurobeat 179"

I tried. >_>
[SIGPIC]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9122/keybi4.png[/SIGPIC]
Callisto

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:11 pm

Girl j-rock (oddly enough)

Princess Princess-Princess Princess
Buffalo Daughter-Euphorica
Puffy (Puffy Ami Yumi)-Nice
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Callisto » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:52 pm

ilikegir33 wrote:Girl j-rock

Mean Machine- "Cream"
Exist Trace- "AMBIVALENCE"
Aikawa Nanase- "PURANA" (more like 80's rock)
Shiina Ringo- "Muzai Moratorium" (not everyone will like her style)
OLIVIA... actually I've only heard a couple of her songs but they were good.
Kana- anything by her is awesome, but it's a style that takes some getting used to.
[SIGPIC]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9122/keybi4.png[/SIGPIC]
Callisto

Postby Knives » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:32 pm

Eric wrote:It's not excessive because in all reality, what I listed is very little compared to not only what I listen to as a whole, but also as compared to everything else that's out there; those cds are but a small fraction of what I would consider to be essential listening. Plus, they all represent many different varieties of sound within their respective genres, and thus are pretty different from each other so you don't have to worry about having them sound too similar or anything.

One would think that if someone were to be introduced to something and ended up liking it, they would find a slightly larger list of must-have cds to be a lot more useful because they would not have to do nearly as much digging for gems on their own. If I had come across a list such as that several years ago, I would have been immensely grateful for it because it would have saved me an immeasurable amount of time and effort in looking through massive amounts of bands to find the best of the best.

Now, the only question is...will anyone actually take heed to my recommendations? The thing about whenever I make lists of music like this is that the vast majority of the time, the overall reaction of people (even the ones that like the particular styles of music that I'm mentioning) is "Wow, that's a lot of bands/cds/etc.!" and then they do absolutely nothing to see just how great they are for themselves. It happens on every forum I have frequented over the past several years. I often wonder if I am only wasting my time doing this...but sometimes I get bored and really have nothing better to do, so I just do it anyways and hope for the best.

I really appreciate these lists, Eric. I always check out at least a few bands off of each of your lists.
Knives

Previous

Return to Jam Session