What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:25 pm

I was experiencing severe deja vu with A Clash of Kings until coming across a scene I knew I had read. Skimming through other volumes reveals that I actually read the first three books in the series. Though I have A Feast for Crows aforementioned skimming was enough Song of Fire and Ice for the time being.

Instead I began the Dark Elf Trilogy by RA Salvator. I am enjoying it so far. However, I worry that reading the books in chronological order instead of the order they were written may result in later ones seeming poorly written.
uc pseudonym

Postby RubyJewelStone » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:42 am

mitsuki lover wrote:I think everyone ends up reading FLowers For Algernon when they're in high school.

And Beouwulf.

I couldn't even buy the book without everyone at the counter breaking into one huge reminisce-session. >.>;

My cousin took one look at the book and seemingly smacked it for revenge.

Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to that book so far...

Anywho, I was skimming Fahrenheit 451 on the plane yesterday, so that counts as what I am reading.
I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when he is silent.
~Author Unknown
RubyJewelStone

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:25 pm

I just finished up Salamandastron by Brian Jacques, and next time I pick up a book it'll be Magic Street by Orson Scott Card.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:50 pm

I've finished Crime and Punishment (excellent, excellent!) and now I've gone over to Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before, about a 17th century Italian nobleman shipwrecked on an abandoned ship not far from an island that sits across the International Date Line (yes he's trapped in today and the island is strictly speaking yesterday), and he's unable to reach it because he can't swim and because he has a psychological fear for the sun (he's photophobic) he has to overcome these two obstacles. Along the way he thinks back at his past (which makes up half the novel) which includes his first love and various friendships, including one with a Jesuit who builds Aristotelean Telescopes. So far the book is good, but not as good (or at least as immersive) as Eco's Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 pm

bigsleepj wrote:I've finished Crime and Punishment (excellent, excellent!)

I'm glad to hear you've finished it. That's more than anyone else in my family could say ^_^ Did you like the ending?
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:30 pm

I loved it. It's a very good ending, and it had some emotional impact. There were times I was close to tears. C&P is certainly a great read. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Kkun » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:33 pm

I'm reading Humility and Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray. I like the way Murray looked at things...I'll have more to say about Humility after I finish it.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Letters to a Young Evangelical by Tony Campolo

It may be impolite to read another's mail, but I respect Campolo as someone who takes the Bible seriously and lives what he preaches. The book dealt with numerous issues in fairly broad strokes, but that is its intent. Overall I felt it was good and if it serves as a wake up call to any Christians in our generation, all the better. Also, it was a very quick and easy read; I didn't spend more than a few hours on it.

This was actually a random diversion from my fantasy as of late. After getting through the Dark Elf Trilogy I'm done with Drizzt for now, and will soon select another book.
uc pseudonym

Postby Alice » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Deep reading, guys! :sweat:

I am partway through The Ladies of Grace Adieu and other stories, by Susanna Clarke. I think anyone who liked her Norrell and Strange book would like it. Some of the stories are really thought-provoking, and of course they're well-written.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:00 pm

The Dust of Empire: The Race for Mastery in Central Asia by Karl Meyer. It's a fascinating book, and a worthwhile antidote to the amnesiac politicians and pundits that seem to infest popular discourse. It's also a highly relevant book.

http://www.amazon.com/Dust-Empire-Mastery-Asian-Heartland/dp/1586482416/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7016585-2989461?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184727458&sr=1-1
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:56 pm

Silence on the Wire
Mithrandir

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:58 am

Going to try and attempt to read Order of the Phoenix again (quit within a few chapters in because harry was being too whiny and emo... man I hope he dies in Deathly Hallows^^). My goal is to finish it before the movie comes to my theatre which'll probably be in a couple weeks since a different movie is starting this weekend. And yet they were on the ball with Pirates and Spiderman 3... Pick and chose I guess^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Doe Johnson » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:50 am

I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I won't say anything about it since I'm sure many of you are reading it/planning on reading it soon.

You know...I feel kinda sad...I spent an entire day reading...though I did get about 5 hours of sleep...still...finishing it 26 hours after purchasing it...
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:55 am

David Eddings Younger Gods.
Mithrandir

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:24 pm

The Secret Life of Bees - by Sue Monk Kidd.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:53 pm

The One Kingdom by Sean Russell

Shifting to some less mainstream fantasy for the moment. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I'm beginning to suspect there may be a reason for it being not mainstream. I'm 200 pages in and so far all that's really happened is that a ton of characters have been thrown at me. None of them particularly interested me except the guy that dies* almost immediately.

*Supposedly. I remain suspicious.
uc pseudonym

Postby Valkaiser » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Read last two weeks or so:

Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh
(Sci-Fi, centers around a space station overburdened with refugees)
Orion by Ben Bova
(Time travel warrior)
The Darksword Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
(Fantasy, magic, pretty standard fare)
Several Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison
(Awesome spy style novels with a gentleman crook as protagonist)
Valkaiser

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Stalin and his Hangmen: The Tyrant and Those who Killed for Him

http://www.amazon.com/Stalin-His-Hangmen-Tyrant-Killed/dp/0375757716/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8683087-4499816?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185327929&sr=1-1

It's a fascinating book, but I'm going to put it aside for a while: it's just too bloody depressing.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Alice » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:56 pm

I started:
Grapes of Wrath, by Steinbeck, and Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, by Heinlein (which I read as a previously).

I'm more than halfway through A Patchwork Planet, by Anne Tyler. She's a great author.

And no one dared
Alice

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:00 am

Just finished HP 7

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:44 am

I'm way to geek. I was trying to figure out which Hewlett-Pakcard device that manual was for, until I realized it's a popular mainstream title. >.<

I'm going back through all my calvin and hobbs.
Mithrandir

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:05 pm

Last weekend I reread Deborah Turner Harris' novel of a alternate reality Scotland:
Caledonia of the Mist.
mitsuki lover

Postby Alice » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:07 pm

I finished Patchwork Planet and started another Anne Tyler book.

And no one dared
Alice

Postby yukinon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:42 am

I have recently started reading Technopoly by Neil Postman.

It's strange because I agree with almost all his points, but I have been dissapointed because so far I just don't think he's making those points very well.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:24 pm

i'm reading, The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby righteous_slave » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:06 pm

7 Habits of Highly Effective People again, hopefully this time I'll take a little more application out of it.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:35 am

A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin

After abandoning my previous book due to lack of interest, I decided to go back to more mainstream fiction. I'm reading it slowly (relative to the size) but it is essentially like the other books in the series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:17 am

Still working on The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, but it's now going a bit slower because I'm also reading R.A. Salvatore's The Legend of Drizzt book I: Homeland and I've just started James Clavell's Shougun. I should really just try to concentrate on one book at a time, but there's so many that I want to read and my list doesn't seem to be getting any shorter.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:22 am

Neuromancer - yeah I know, I am way far behind in the reading department.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:37 am

The Andromeda Strain by Michael Criton.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner