What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Danderson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:25 pm

Just finished the Dragons in our Midst series by Bryan Davis...

...must...make...movie...out...of...it... :dizzy:
Danderson

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:17 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:While not my favorite Discworld book, this one has some particularly memorable lines. The harp/lyre exchange is still one of my favorites.

"That's a harp he's playing, Nobby."
"Lyre."
"No, it's the honest truth, I'm...you've just been waiting all your life to say that, ain't you, Nobby? I bet you was born hoping that one day someone'd say 'That's a harp' so you could say 'Lyre,' on account of it being a pun or play on words. Well, harr har."

UC reads Discworld. Another pleasant surprise.
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 am

"Skin" by Ted Dekker (Very good, relatively clean, horror/thriller/christian book.)

"The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks (Was recommended by somone here on the forums. I am enjoying it so far.)

Firebird, a trilogy, by Kathy Tyers (Very cool Sci-fi book, reminds me of Star Wars. Which is not surprising considering that she has written several SW books.)
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:UC reads Discworld. Another pleasant surprise.

I thought much the same (but with a different proper noun). My other favorite line was "And there he was, a rebel without a pause."

So far I've read a good bit of the Discworld series, and I intend to read more whenever I happen across them.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:12 pm

What is not known is that UC is really Lord Vimes!
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:21 pm

When I was at Barnes & Nobles yesterday I picked up the Anime Profiles book on Inuyasha.Some interesting facotids:Rumiko Takahashi always wears an apron when she's working.
Kagoma wears her school uniform because it's durable and because Takahashi
didn't want her to wear slacks.
Miroku's staff was probably inherited from his grandfather.
Age wise Sango is really just one year older than Kagome(ok if you don't count the fact that there's a 500 year gap there as well but technically speaking they're only a year a part in age as Sango is just 16)
The Mirror and Fan that are used by Kanna and Kagura respectively are NOT part of Naraku,they are simply objects he gave to them.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:36 pm

The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard

From the evaluation of the forward and the vision he sets forth at the introduction, I should very much like this book. So far I am having a difficult time getting into it, however. This may be because it is a fairly general (though not superficial) book on Christianity and I am used to reading more specific work.
uc pseudonym

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:17 pm

The Dead Zone - Stephen King
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:31 pm

Heir to the Empire, by Timothy Zahn. I hope to finish his trilogy of those books this summer. :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Finished Knightfall yesterday.
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:02 pm

It's How You Play The Game:The Powerful Sports Moments That Taught Lasting
Values to America's Finest by Brian Kilmeade
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:10 pm

trying to decide whether to read Spartacus, or The Sword in the Stone. i have to read both for school.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Alice » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Today I finished Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen,
and started reading The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:38 pm

starting on The Sword in the Stone.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Alice » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Also started reading Dead Water by Barbara Hambly.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:43 pm

Bought the first book of the "Twelve Kingdoms", which TokyoPop recently had translated into English. If it's in your bookstore, it's probably stuck in the Manga rack rather than the Fantasy section where it belongs. Great stuff. Starts with a very standard situation (misunderstood high school student thrown into a fantasy world) but immediately takes off from there and goes completely original directions.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:59 pm

The Good Guy - Dean Koontz
Azier the Swordsman

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:19 pm

Believe and Achieve, by W. Clement Stone. It's a self help book that really delves into not only what to do to be successful, but why it all works. Mr. Stone started the insurance company I worked for the last six months, and they included this and other books in their training.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:38 pm

righteous_slave wrote:Believe and Achieve, by W. Clement Stone. It's a self help book that really delves into not only what to do to be successful, but why it all works. Mr. Stone started the insurance company I worked for the last six months, and they included this and other books in their training.

You would probably also enjoy Success: The Glend Bland Method. It's very much on those same lines, with a highly God-centered worldview to boot.

Currenly at the top of my reading list:

Setting the Trap for Internet Predators - Stephen Dean
(An immensly horrifying book every parent needs to own)

How to Survive a Horror Movie - Seth Grahme Smith

Dracula - Bram Stoker
Azier the Swordsman

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:54 pm

hmmm....avoid such books myself as they don't do any real good except for the people writing them.
mitsuki lover

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm currently in the middle of Daywatch, the sequel to Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko. The mystical battle for the balance of power in modern-day Russia.

The two books are interesting because the first is told from the POV of the Light, aka the "Good guys", while the second is from the Dark, who really aren't all that bad. It'll be interesting to see what the third installment will look like.

Avoid the movie at all costs (haven't seen the second one though).
Maledicte

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:38 pm

Having finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo (which was pretty awesome), I've started on Myst: The Book of Ti'ana.

I haven't gotten very far yet, but from my understanding it's about the downfall of the great D'ni race...and the grandparents of the main character of the prequel, The Book of Atrus. The wierdest thing about The Book of Ti'ana is that it doesn't have any chapters, just breaks. I might actually have to succumb to using a bookmark! Oh horrors! :wow!:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Okami » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:33 am

Let's see;

Mark Chapter 6 (Bible, goofuses)
The Redemption of Althalus - David and Leigh Eddings
Shadowed - Jerry Jenkins
Total Devotion - Kevin Johnson
and this notecard I have here next to me, on "If you really love the Lord..."
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:52 pm

the_wolfs_howl, great taste in books you have there. :thumb:

Wasn't there supposed to be a fourth Myst book out? I can't remember where I heard that...
Maledicte

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:34 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:the_wolfs_howl, great taste in books you have there. :thumb:

Wasn't there supposed to be a fourth Myst book out? I can't remember where I heard that...

A fourth Myst book? I hadn't heard of it, but it'd be cool if there was one :grin:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Danderson » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:55 am

Hmmmm.....what am I reading?.....

At the moment, I reading the first book in Bryan Davis's Dragons in our Midst series.....I've already gone through the whole series once, but I've found that if I read a book a second time I understand it better....so far this theory is working.....
Danderson

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:44 pm

I plan on taking it easy and only reading the Inuyasha Profiles Book this coming week. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
mitsuki lover

Postby Doubleshadow » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:45 pm

The Confident Woman by Joyce Meyer

I have only read a little, and already its helped me with some ongoing hang-ups of mine.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:45 am

Well when I was at the library today I dipped into The Communist Manifesto by
Marx & Engels to see what it was like actually.Surprisingly what I saw wasn't exactly the kind of Earth shaking political work one would expect.It was actually a rather dry economic tome,like Adams or Malthus.Not something that one would expect would end up shaking the world.
Indeed a lot of it is rather dry reading about crops and industry,etc.the sort of stuff that you can find in any 19th century book of economics.
mitsuki lover

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:09 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Surprisingly what I saw wasn't exactly the kind of Earth shaking political work one would expect.

As I understand it the Communist Manifesto is not really considered an earth-shaking work, despite the fact that is was written by Marx. I've even heard someone describe it as a rush-job. It's Marx much heaftier work written much later, Das Kapital, which is considered by Marxist / Communists / Pretentious University students to be an earth-shaking political work.

That said, this is all hear-say. I've never read either.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner