love Hina

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby RoyalWing » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:20 pm

hum... if you say so? ? - ?
i dind't think it was THAT bad... to compare to american pie??
maybe it's because i only have read (and own) the first volume.
RoyalWing

Postby The Grammarian » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:59 pm

i dind't think it was THAT bad... to compare to american pie??
maybe it's because i only have read (and own) the first volume.

It's not nearly that bad, and I've read the whole 14 volume set. It's never as explicit, nor as perverse. The worst stuff that happens is implied rather than shown, and while what is shown is sometimes rather juvenile, it is juvenile in a "Meet The Parents" kind of way. In other words, Keitaro has all sorts of misunderstandings that result in him being beaten up by several of the females (primarily Naru and Motoko).
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:14 pm

i never meant it s explicit, just piontless entertainment
Shao Feng-Li

Postby The Grammarian » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:41 pm

Ruroken wrote:i never meant it s explicit, just piontless entertainment

So are a lot of things. Most modern movies, and all video games, for that matter. In fact, fictional books of any sort would be the same way (even Lord of the Rings).

The Grammarian

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:42 pm

well true but they do have good morals and no nasty stuff that you wouldnt want your family to see, unless you dont like violence
Shao Feng-Li

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:50 pm

Depends on the book, and anyway, without expressing defense or critique of a series I haven't personally much experience with, let's try to discuss the merits of the anime and/or manga without resorting to colourless terms like "pointless." Besides not being very specific, it tends to be less than diplomatic.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

*sigh*

Postby Needle Noggin » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:38 pm

Ren_sama wrote:EVIL MANGA! ALMOST AS EVIL AS ...Kare Kano....*shudder*

Are comments like this really needed?Some people like some thing and other don't.We all know that comments like this lead to the thread being closed right. Right? :stressed:
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:42 pm

Just so you all know...there are mods watching the thread, and if anything gets out of hand, we're on it ^^

But yeah, unless you have something constructive to say, don't post it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby true_noir_chloe » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:39 pm

>>*agress* liek watching american pie or something. totlay if seemling pointles

I've been watching this thread for awhile and keeping my mouth shut. I've seen American Pie and Love Hina does not come close to AP. Also, I sure hope Ruroken, that you never watched American Pie. That is strictly adult fare. I wouldn't let my kids watch something like that.

Now, honestly, I've only read the first two volumes of Love Hina and breezed through a lot of other sections. My son is a big Ken Akamatsu fan and I allow him to read what he wants. He has self-censored himself many times. He's even taken the Love Hina mangas away from his little sister because he thinks she's not old enough. I know he's mature enough to handle it.

It is rated 16+. So, please don't read Love Hina unless it's okay with your parents, or you're mature enough to handle it.

My views are this: If my kids are strong believers, which I know they are, then I trust them. If I spend all my time censoring them then they'll just try to go behind my back and do it. I've seen too many of my friend's kids do this. I honestly trust my kids.:)

Now, the anime is very fan service oriented. However, it is LOL funny. :lol: It is a great series! What I like about the story is that they made so many interesting individual characters, living together and how they interact and relate one to another. It shows how each of these characters grow through the years they're together. They grow into very good friends who actually concern themselves with one another's lives. I love Shinobu, she's so cute and innocent and through the series she grows up so much. She comes to terms with her big brother relationship with Keitaro. Kaolu Su is a crack up and yet through all her craziness, she has such a big heart. Kitsune is just so evil, yet funny and sad at the same time. Motoko, she is one of my favorites. How she had to come to terms with her older sister and grow into her own person was a fantastic handling by Akamatsu. I thought it was the most developed character of his series. Naru, she was irritating. If I was Keitaro, I would have waited for Shinobu to grow up and marry her instead. Although, Naru was the cutest character and it's obvious Akamatsu really enjoyed drawing her.

Now, on one hand, especially in the manga, I thought Keitaro was just so stupid. I hate male protagonists that are just such blockhead idiots. It did make for a funny series, though.

Also, this has won awards for the best manga for a reason. As a writer, I have to applaud his skill at writing this series. It has a very developed story line, with multiple characters, with distinct personalities all going on at the same time and the storyline still moves forward. I would think Ken Akamatusu had to have had major finger cramps after drawing so much detail into so many panels. He also has a ton of funny dialogue that never stops clicking. I mean to read the 14 volumes is just amazing, I'm sure and I can see why my son admires him so much as a manga-ka.

I say to anyone who has problems with this, please don't read it if you feel you can't in good conscience.

Does it have redeeming qualities? Does anything of the world have redeeming qualities? I mean, I'd have to agree with the Grammarian's comments there about all of the world's media. And again I question, if you don't like anime, then why are you at CAA, which stands for Christian Anime Alliance? We love the Word and we enjoy anime and we join together in this common bond -alliance. I mean, that's a bit contradictory if you hate most of anime and you're here.

I have to take the world's concepts with a grain of salt, since they are obviously not being influenced by God. I, however, am influenced by God in all I do.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Icarus » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:04 pm

*no longer feels quite so bad about liking Love Hina* If I brought home any Love Hina, I'd probably have to keep it locked in my trunk, away from my younger brother.

I think my favorite character was Koalla Su, what with her machines and all. And Tama-chan
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby true_noir_chloe » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot Tama-chan. He is definitely one of my favorite characters. ^_^ He's so cute.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby The Grammarian » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:13 pm

I must say, chloe, that this was a very well thought out post. I could not have said it better myself. ;)

The Grammarian

Postby Elric_kun » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:34 pm

true_noir_chloe wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot Tama-chan. He is definitely one of my favorite characters. ^_^ He's so cute.

*cough* she* cough*
Elric_kun

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:30 pm

hmm istill dont like it. i know im mature enough to ahndle anythingg now, and you should know that noir. i dont htinks its fair that i should ead something that my amily cant. imo that manga in immature in of itself. and wamen dont seem to be respected very much with all the fanseivec unlike rurouni kesnhin where there is hardly any. i eally dont see how this lives up to biblicle standards. im not deniing its not a geat manga and that its funny or anyting, but say if it were a movie would you be rushing to Jesus's house and invite him to go with you to the theaters? (hypothetical of course) think about that quote in my sig,
"...When everything looks pretty, it's easy to believe you've found a way, but it's all just a big masqurade..."
i love anime almost as much as anyone. if it werent for tht bible or my strict parents id be lost in it. not to mention there are far beeter things though in this world and theres enough problems and temptations out theere: the devil. no one needs temptaions froma -cartoon
(ps all my siblings could handle anything you throw at tem in the manga world, same as me)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Needle Noggin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:03 pm

Ruroken wrote:hmm istill dont like it. i know im mature enough to ahndle anythingg now, and you should know that noir. i dont htinks its fair that i should ead something that my amily cant. imo that manga in immature in of itself. and wamen dont seem to be respected very much with all the fanseivec unlike rurouni kesnhin where there is hardly any. i eally dont see how this lives up to biblicle standards. im not deniing its not a geat manga and that its funny or anyting, but say if it were a movie would you be rushing to Jesus's house and invite him to go with you to the theaters? (hypothetical of course) think about that quote in my sig,
"...When everything looks pretty, it's easy to believe you've found a way, but it's all just a big masqurade..."
i love anime almost as much as anyone. if it werent for tht bible or my strict parents id be lost in it. not to mention there are far beeter things though in this world and theres enough problems and temptations out theere: the devil. no one needs temptaions froma -cartoon
(ps all my siblings could handle anything you throw at tem in the manga world, same as me)

i dont htinks its fair that i should ead something that my amily cant.

You just contradicted yourself twice...The first is explained with those two quotes.The other is that if you are
mature enought to watch/read Love Hina why do you have such a problem with it? Maturity is on a mental and spirtual level you know.You really don't know what you are talking about.
Go young wildebeest
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:34 pm

First of all, I don't want to be mean to Ruroken. I don't want people to start pecking at her and being ugly. I want to be as unbiased as possible when I read such lenthy fights that go through these threads. Let it end here.

Ruroken, people come to CAA because there is no condemnation. In the church, people who watch anime or read mangas are looked at as if we’ve given over to Satan. Yet, these same people continue to own TV sets, go to movie theaters and listen to stations that aren’t Christian. When does it start and when does it stop? Do you know? Do I know? Judgement comes with a heavy price. Do you have the ability to judge? Have you been given this authority?

For with Christ there is freedom and no condemnation. In I John 4, it speaks of His love being perfected in us. I know you have a lot of anger toward the world, that has been concluded in the past; however, today you have brothers and sisters in Christ here who enjoy anime, including Love Hina, and enjoy it for it’s worth as a good piece of manga writing and development. That is their opinion. That is their right as believers to judge what goes in and what goes out. Not one of us can make that choice.

Do you want to enjoy Ruroni Kenshin with Jesus by your side? By all means, you should. If you can watch Kenshin and all that goes on in it with good conscience then you should. But, don’t come on the Love Hina thread, where there are others who strictly gave information on what the series has and how much they enjoy it, 16+ and all, and condemn them for enjoying it. Of course it’s not Biblical! Kenshin isn’t Biblical either. For that matter, we should dissolve all of CAA and say how can Christian and Anime be breathed in the same sentence? But no, because here there is no condemnation and there is amazing freedom for our minds and thoughts - because as believers, our minds and thoughts belong to no one else, but Christ alone, certainly not to our fellow believers.

Ruroken, my sweet little sister in the Lord, :) you need to go to a different thread and stop coming here if all you can do is condemn those who enjoy it. You are a pillar of faith, but you still have a lot of growing up to do. I don’t enjoy the Love Hina manga either, but I did enjoy the Love Hina anime and I think it’s hilarious. Others enjoy the manga, and that’s okay. It’s between them and God.

I think you have a heart of true concern, because you obviously concern yourself on threads like this; but, as you get older you stop condemning your brethren and start realizing there is freedom in Christ. Whether they choose to have that freedom as an affront to you or not, is where you place yourself here. If you continue to come on this thread you will continue to be disheartened, because of your strong disagreement with this series. I think it would be best if you went to other sections of CAA where you won’t be so confronted.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:39 pm

more than likely iw ould enjoy it, i know i would enjoy it. blast it. we can watch ANYTHING... and still not sin... so why is the,line drawn at hentai? immean you all say watching something isn't a sin. Why is the line drawn there? im not trying to be a brat or anytihing like that, im dead seriues here. i dont want to make enemies here, i have enough in my own home town.
please i reallly really want to know, and i want scripture that can back up all that you're saying. i know im not to judge. if any one is sinning god will know in the day of thier judgment. perhaps im really just sick of how sick this world is?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:47 pm

You want scripture. Please, give me the scripture that says you can enjoy Kenshin or any anime and then I'll give you scripture too.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:53 pm

you guys are right... i guess im just sick of all the sexuall, pervetedness in some anime. youd agree that it sint right and women should ware cloths and girls shouldnt be nude in comic books or on tv. im soory guys, just that everythings so screwed up here at home and i can hardly see past it all. you know i HHATE it so much. im though with it. but i do believe sex in media and comic books is a sin. the bbile says that betweena man and his wife. i dont think that should be viewed by others in anime or comic books. srry
Shao Feng-Li

Since when?

Postby Needle Noggin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:59 pm

Edit: Never mind.
Go young wildebeest
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:03 pm

I'm sorry too, Ruroken. :hug: I have to agree that I'm as sick as you with this stuff, but again, as I've said I'm not one to judge anyone else or their preference in viewing material. I have to go before the Lord, on my own as does everyone else. You have so much heart and honor and I don't ever want to crush that in you.

I have a scripture that I hope you read: I Thessalonians 5. As we are possibly near the end times, I believe we need to draw together as believers and not seperate over small issues. There is more at stake then petty arguments.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:50 am

Forgive me, I didn't read this entire thread. After a few pages, I'm pretty sure I know where it is going, and I have better things to do with my time.

I've read volume 1, which is enough to know that I really don't care. Not only is it a genre that bores me to death, I could probably due without that much semi-nudity, or the general style. But my biggest complaint?

It wasn't funny. At all. I honestly mean this. Never has a manga labeled a comedy so completely failed to even vaguely amuse me, much less make me smile, smirk or laugh. Considering this is a comedy, that's a very bad thing.
uc pseudonym

Postby wiggins » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:26 am

true_noir_chloe[b wrote:It is rated 16+. So, please don't read Love Hina unless it's okay with your parents, or you're mature enough to handle it.[/b]

What I like about the story is that they made so many interesting individual characters, living together and how they interact and relate one to another. It shows how each of these characters grow through the years they're together. They grow into very good friends who actually concern themselves with one another's lives. I love Shinobu, she's so cute and innocent and through the series she grows up so much. She comes to terms with her big brother relationship with Keitaro. Kaolu Su is a crack up and yet through all her craziness, she has such a big heart. Kitsune is just so evil, yet funny and sad at the same time. Motoko, she is one of my favorites. How she had to come to terms with her older sister and grow into her own person was a fantastic handling by Akamatsu. I thought it was the most developed character of his series. Naru, she was irritating. If I was Keitaro, I would have waited for Shinobu to grow up and marry her instead. Although, Naru was the cutest character and it's obvious Akamatsu really enjoyed drawing her.

Now, on one hand, especially in the manga, I thought Keitaro was just so stupid. I hate male protagonists that are just such blockhead idiots. It did make for a funny series, though.

Also, this has won awards for the best manga for a reason. As a writer, I have to applaud his skill at writing this series. It has a very developed story line, with multiple characters, with distinct personalities all going on at the same time and the storyline still moves forward. I would think Ken Akamatusu had to have had major finger cramps after drawing so much detail into so many panels. He also has a ton of funny dialogue that never stops clicking. I mean to read the 14 volumes is just amazing, I'm sure and I can see why my son admires him so much as a manga-ka.

I say to anyone who has problems with this, please don't read it if you feel you can't in good conscience.

Does it have redeeming qualities? Does anything of the world have redeeming qualities? I mean, I'd have to agree with the Grammarian's comments there about all of the world's media. And again I question, if you don't like anime, then why are you at CAA, which stands for Christian Anime Alliance? We love the Word and we enjoy anime and we join together in this common bond -alliance. I mean, that's a bit contradictory if you hate most of anime and you're here.

I have to take the world's concepts with a grain of salt, since they are obviously not being influenced by God. I, however, am influenced by God in all I do.

Hi Valerie, I noticed this thread, and saw what u said about some of the characters. I noticed you mentioned that they were well developed characters and some of the things they had to go through sounds comewhat like real life from your description alone... I am trying to see what makes good character development in a manga, and if Love Hina is really good on character development, could u tell me if ther is any specific volume/ volumes I can look into to see this, or do I have to read the whole series or is there a less fan-servicey manga that is more agrreable to Christian standards (is that the right word?) where I can observe this? Thanks!

Wiggins
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:46 am

wiggins, yes you can do better than Love Hina. I'm sorry UC didn't enjoy it as much as others on this thread, but that is in his opinion, and after he only read a little of the 14 volume set. And, I have to respect his opinion to enjoy what he reads. I would hope others who comment on Love Hina have actually read the entire 14 volumes.

I started reading Love Hina again after reading UC's post to see if maybe I missed something. All I can say is after about a quarter of the first volume it does get better. The first quarter is a comedy of errors, very nasty errors and Akamatsu shows that he understands human anatomy very well. And it does take a certain type of person to get that comedy.

It's not my favorite manga either; but, I have to say that the fact is, it's won awards for a comedy and for a manga and I'm sure it must have some merit, or else it would not have received the acclaim and large readership it has. I can not in good conscience place a sweeping mark of hentai on Love Hina. It's just dumb, slapstick humor Japanese style. I hate the Three Stooges too; but then, a lot of people like them. I think it's too violent.

Wiggins if you're looking for character development we should talk via pm. I don't want to pull this thread any further off topic.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:58 am

true_noir_chloe wrote:I'm sorry UC didn't enjoy it as much as others on this thread, but that is in his opinion, and after he only read a little of the 14 volume set. And, I have to respect his opinion to enjoy what he reads. I would hope others who comment on Love Hina have actually read the entire 14 volumes.

I felt it would be a complete waste of my time. Usually it takes one volume for me to know if I'll like a manga or not. I've also read minor portions of later volumes. And if I were to read Love Hina for any reason, it would be for the character development. Poor Shinobu. If Motoko didn't have a sword Shinobu would be my favorite character.

true_noir_chloe wrote:I started reading Love Hina again after reading UC's thread to see if maybe I missed something.

You refer to my post, correct? But ah well.

[quote="true_noir_chloe"]It's not my favorite manga either]

I don't mean this as a rebuttal in any way, shape or form, I simply feel I have to say that I do not feel awards or readership has much merit. I've seen complete trash that is highly acclaimed. Some modern art is trash and people still like it.

[quote="true_noir_chloe"]I can not in good conscience place a sweeping mark of hentai on Love Hina. It's just dumb, slapstick humor Japanese style. I hate the Three Stooges too]

With these two views, and my inverted ones (though I in no way intend to place the hentai label on Love Hina), I'm not about to speak on this subject. I think both of us can just nod and accept that people are different this way.
uc pseudonym

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:53 pm

>>You refer to my post, correct? But ah well.

Oops, I'll go fix that right now.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby The Last Bard » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:49 pm

Why do we set the mark at hentai? Alright, how many people do you know that read/watch/play hentai for the story? The word “Hentaiâ€
The Last Bard

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:10 am

Smartypants asked me "Since when is the human body filth (to look upon)?" Or something to that effect. Love Hina is far from Hentai. I've read up to 5. The nudity remined me of Barbie dolls more than anything.

(I've grown up a bit here since Octbor 2003, XD)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby termyt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:31 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:(I've grown up a bit here since Octbor 2003, XD)

Life and good friends have a way of doing that to you.

Hentai seems to be a word thrown around a lot to discourage people from reading this or that, so times with little care about what the word actually means.

Love Hina is certainly not hentai, but there's more to the sentiments expressed about it than just nudity. There's quite a bit of off-color humor in it as well - especially near the beginning.

I would hope the mere presence of nudity would not indicate to anyone that a title is hentai. Nudity is not synonymous with porn. It only rises (lowers?) to the level of porn if the nudity is sexual in nature. The thing about it is that “sexual in natureâ€
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:34 am

So anyways...I am tired with arguing with some people that I can be Christian AND read Love Hina, Chobits, Negima, Ai Yori Aoshi, etc. So I'm not going into it.

My favroite character would proably be Shinobu, followed up by Naru, and then Mitsumi. The only character I am not to overly fond of is Kitsune.
Hitokiri

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews