Switchfoot: Oh! Gravity.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Switchfoot: Oh! Gravity.

Postby CobaltAngel » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:50 pm

I actaully didn't even know this CD exsisted until Christmad Eve... which is very uncharacteristic of me. I head them talking about it on the radio and was pretty shocked since Nothing is Sound just came out in 2005. So my family talked me into buying it with part of a itunes card I got for Christmas because we all love Switchfoot. XD I didn't really know what to expect after being vaguely let down by their last CD, but this one is very Switchfoot. I was pleased. I especially liked "Circles", "Oh! Gravity.", and "Faust, Midas, and Myself".

Anyone else have it? What do you think of it? :)
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Kkun » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:45 pm

I still haven't even opened my copy, but from what I've heard, it's great. I can't wait to finally get around to listen to it.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby CobaltAngel » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:11 pm

Haha, I've definitely done that before... I think I still have superchick CDs I haven't listen to.
btw its good to talk to you again. ;)

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Kkun » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:11 pm

[quote="CobaltAngel"]Haha, I've definitely done that before... I think I still have superchick CDs I haven't listen to.
btw its good to talk to you again. ]

D'awwww, Coby-chan, it's always good to see you running around here. It's been weird since you started coming on here only sporadically.
Kkun

Postby Tommy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:30 pm

Kkun, didn't you just tell me its nothing like their old stuff?

How would you know?

Did you hear a sample beforehand?

Anyways, I like their old stuff the best.

"Meant To Live" was a great song, but it was overplayed extremely and the song was basically their ticket to the Mainstream.
Tommy

Postby Kkun » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:35 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Kkun, didn't you just tell me its nothing like their old stuff?

How would you know?

Did you hear a sample beforehand?

Anyways, I like their old stuff the best.

"Meant To Live" was a great song, but it was overplayed extremely and the song was basically their ticket to the Mainstream.

Well, considering I work in a Christian bookstore and we've been playing it intermittently with Christmas music for the past month to get people to pre-order it..

As for it being like their old stuff, it really isn't, unless you call The Beautiful Letdown old.
Kkun

Postby beau99 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:01 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:"Meant To Live" was a great song, but it was overplayed extremely and the song was basically their ticket to the Mainstream.

No, I'd say Mandy Moore's cover of "Only Hope" was.
beau99

Postby Kkun » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:39 am

beau99 wrote:No, I'd say Mandy Moore's cover of "Only Hope" was.

That's the scariest thing I've ever heard considering that's my favorite song off of New Way to Be Human. Ew.
Kkun

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:58 am

Kkun wrote:Well, considering I work in a Christian bookstore and we've been playing it intermittently with Christmas music for the past month to get people to pre-order it..

Oh...well you say it like I'm supposed to know.

That's a Mandy Moore cover?!
Tommy

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:00 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:That's a Mandy Moore cover?!
No, it's a Switchfoot song and Mandy Moore covered it. And sang it in movie. Hers is nowhere near as good as the Switchfoot version IMO. :P

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Fionn Fael » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:04 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:That's a Mandy Moore cover?!

No, no, Mandy Moore covered it. Like every Switchfoot song, it was written and performed by Jon Foreman/Switchfoot. She just covered it for the movie. The soundtrack for A Walk to Remember actually has the Switchfoot version on it.
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Oh, well he said it was a Mandy Moore cover so...
Tommy

Postby Fionn Fael » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:22 pm

I think the way he worded it made it look like it could go either way. Understandable mistake. :)
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby beau99 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Oh, well he said it was a Mandy Moore cover so...

No I didn't.
beau99

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:00 pm

Oh, Mandy Moore's cover...whatever.

Regardless, the way you worded it could be taken either way.

ANYWAY...
Tommy

Postby Kkun » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:48 pm

I finally dove into it today and you guys, it's so good. Listening to it up close and personal and listening to it at work are two different experiences. It's better than Nothing Is Sound but not as good as The Beautiful Letdown, Learning to Breathe, New Way to be Human, and The Legend of Chin. They rock their faces off on this one. It's so good. I love it.
Kkun

?????

Postby Matx » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:57 am

[is sf even considered a christian band???
Matx

Postby TrigunX89 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:00 am

Yes, they are very much Christians. Check out their older stuff for more obvious lyrics.
TrigunX89

Postby beau99 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:34 am

Matx wrote:[is sf even considered a christian band???

They are Christians by faith, not by musical genre.
beau99

Postby Icarus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:56 pm

*digs old thread*

I agree with KKun in that it's better than Nothing is Sound, but not as good as there older stuff. That said good CD. I listened to it again last night (and the day before), and really like "Faust, Midas, and Myself."

And is it just me, our are the best songs the ones they don't release as singles?
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:24 am

Ooohh, I might have to buy this now. I didn't buy nothing is sound, because I didn't much of anything that I heard of it. I was afraid Oh! Gravity was going to be the same.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Zilch » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:22 pm

My typical Switchfoot thinking is loving the radio hits, and not caring about anything else on their albums (other than Only Hope). Oh! Gravity. is tending to follow in that train of thought.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Kkun » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:49 pm

Zilch, you might be smoking crack then, sir.

How can you not like Circles, Amateur Lovers, and Faust, Midas, and Myself?
Kkun

Return to Jam Session