What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Alice » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:13 am

Along with my other books, I'm trying to read a couple of Christian romance novels. We'll see if I get farther in them than I usually do. ^^;
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:44 pm

Isn't that an oxymoron?
I keep trying to check out The Bridge To Terabithia to read but because it's in the
Junior section of the library I keep getting qualms about checking out a 'kids book'.
I swear though I will read it one of these days.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:46 pm

The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Alice » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:24 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Isn't that an oxymoron?

No. Why would it be? Christian romances are just ones that are clean and star Christians or people who become Christians. There are a lot out there (like hundreds), from a couple of different publishers.

And no one dared
Alice

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:04 pm

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

I finally got around to beginning it and essentially read it through in one sitting, though I didn't intend to. Actually, that's what I did just before briefly attending a Super Bowl party, and the dissonance was odd. In any case, my overall reaction is to be unimpressed: the protagonist's spiritual journey seems fairly shallow to me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Dunedan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:59 pm

The Eye of the World by Travis Jordan?
Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
The reflections of light are everywhere
Only a gilded age of forgetfulness
A drunken slumber, goodnight but no kiss.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love, and to be loved in return."-Christian and later Toulouse, Moulin Rouge
Dunedan

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:04 pm

Our library has a new Rumpole mystery:Rumpole And The Reign Of Terror.
I should check it out sooner or later and was going to but the library's undergoing a system's change and there was a woman ahead of me who wanted to check on something so I decided I'd wait until later and check it out.Though it looks like
a good read,Horace Rumpole versus the new British anti-Terrorism laws!
Btw:For mystery buffs who haven't read any Rumpole yet,you really ought to as it is one of the best series out there.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:14 pm

Our library has a new Rumpole mystery:Rumpole And The Reign Of Terror.
I should check it out sooner or later and was going to but the library's undergoing a system's change and there was a woman ahead of me who wanted to check on something so I decided I'd wait until later and check it out.Though it looks like
a good read,Horace Rumpole versus the new British anti-Terrorism laws!
Btw:For mystery buffs who haven't read any Rumpole yet,you really ought to as it is one of the best series out there.

I have a hold waiting on that, unfortunately the list is a mile long :(
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Dunedan wrote:The Eye of the World by Travis Jordan?

I think it is Robert Jordan.

Are you liking it so far?
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Taliesin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:59 pm

I am reading Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott. One of her lesser known books.
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:39 pm

*sigh* i gave up on the Thief of Time. though i understood the plot to an extent, the book itself failed to amuse me. anyways, instead i'm reading Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Dunedan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:I think it is Robert Jordan.

Are you liking it so far?

Yeah, I figured I had the name wrong, I was going on my hazy memory. I started reading it on a road trip, so it was boring me at first, but someone on here recommended it to me and I think I'll eventually get into it.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love, and to be loved in return."-Christian and later Toulouse, Moulin Rouge
Dunedan

Postby Alice » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:49 pm

I started "The Golden Hour," by Maya Williams tonight, read about 50 pages. It seems really great. ^___^ (It's a children's book, but not st00pid.)

And no one dared
Alice

Postby Dunedan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:54 am

Hey... you like S&G, Alice? Sweet.

Dunedan

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:58 am

Well I finally went to the library and checked out RUMPOLE AND THE REIGN OF
TERROR another masterwork by John Mortimer.
mitsuki lover

Postby Alice » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:11 pm

Dunedan wrote:Hey... you like S&G, Alice? Sweet.

Simon and Garfunkel? Yus. ^^

As far as reading goes, I just finished "Mairelon the Magician" by Patricia C. Wrede. I didn't mention it before since I wasn't sure if I'd finish and like it. But I did. >.>

And no one dared
Alice

Postby Taliesin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:06 pm

who is this rumpole?
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:03 am

And I'm still reading How Few Remain. It's a good book and all, especially if you love history, (be warned if you go out and look for this book, there is a sex scene in it, though it isn't graphic. Just warning you people.)but I haven't had a knack for reading novels for a while, so I'm still working on it. I blame manga..... I mostly read right before classes start, so I don't read for long.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby yukinon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:51 pm

As long as such scenes aren't crucial to the story, I generally just skip over them.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Nearly finished with Rumpole And The Reign Of Terror,leave it to John Mortimer to find a rather entertaining way to screw the current British Anti-Terrorist Laws.

One of my favorite lines(from page 6):"I assured the searchers I hadn't felt even
the slightest temptation to commit suicide and I'd perfer my death to take place
while I was wearing a wig and gown and had just completed my final speech to the jury."(on being searched)
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:50 pm

I just finished "Plato's Pharmacy" from Dissemination by Jacques Derrida; it's basically a deconstruction of Plato's Phaedrus.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:35 am

Tell the Truth - Will Metzger

Most of the books I'm reading now aren't books you can just fly through (if you're gonna get them or learn from them), which means many of them are already on here somewhere.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:17 pm

I looked through my copy of The Ancient Celts yesterday night.Not longish book,just 46 pages,mainly of color pictures with some commentary on the left
underneath b/w copies of the pictures at the right.
Mainly read the part about the Scots(for obvious reasons).But also read the
part on Brennos sacking the Oracle of Delphi.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:31 am

Out of Thin Air: Dinosaurs, Birds and Earth's Ancient Atmosphere by Peter Ward.

University of Washington paleontologist Ward (Rare Earth) clearly sets forth the premise of his provocative book: "changing atmospheric oxygen levels over the last 600 million years have caused significant evolutionary change in animals." He argues that, for extended periods, there was less than half the amount of oxygen present today in the atmosphere, and a need to develop respiratory systems to deal effectively with ambient oxygen levels has been the dominant factor in creating species diversity, extinctions and basic animal body plans. Ward takes readers on a tour from the Cambrian through the Permian to the Jurassic, examining the dominant life forms in each period and arguing that oxygen availability, or lack thereof, is responsible for the evolution of endothermy, egg shells, live births and most of the major extinctions in Earth's history. He also claims that dinosaurs were successful for so long because they were able to make use of primitive air sacs (that became fine-tuned in modern birds), thus enabling them to outcompete all others in their oxygen-depleted environment.

It's a notion I've heard discused before, but this is the first in-depth presentation I've found. It should make for interesting reading.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:22 pm

for school, i'm reading this book called Lyddie. i'm not enjoyiing it very much...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:16 am

Ted Dekker's "White", book 3 of the Circle Trilogy. Next, I don't know for sure, but perhaps Neil Gaiman's short story collection "Smoke and Mirrors."
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:35 pm

Finished my Lost In Space comic book collection and replaced it now with my
Star Trek:Starfleet Academy and Voyager collections.
mitsuki lover

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:14 pm

Just started reading Shivering World by Kathy Tyers.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Valkaiser » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:47 pm

The Last Deathship off Antares by William John Watkins. Just had to get it when I saw the name and the cheesy sci-fi cover art, oh yeah!
Soldiers being held prisoner by aliens are reduced to basic instincts of survival, until one man bands them together and prepares for escape. Reads better than it sounds.
Valkaiser

Postby Dunedan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:13 am

Pact by Jodi Picoult and still The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan.

Dunedan

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner