Music that is "too heavy" for you.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Brodequin, Devourment, Liturgy, Wormed, Vomit Remnants, Disconformity, Disgorge (Mexico), and most other brutal death metal bands are most likely too heavy for you and everyone else on this forum.
Eric

Postby Kkun » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Eric wrote:Brodequin, Devourment, Liturgy, Wormed, Vomit Remnants, Disconformity, Disgorge (Mexico), and most other brutal death metal bands are most likely too heavy for you and everyone else on this forum.

I don't know. It's not that they're too heavy, it's that they're heavy to the point of being retarded...it kind of gets to a place where it's like "what's the point?" I mean, really. Eventually the heaviness stops being enjoyable and becomes an indiscernible mess of blood and guts and carnage and double bass and power chords, especially in that kind of music. You start to get diminishing returns insomuch as what's cool and what's just utterly pretentious.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:34 pm

That's exactly my point, although Wormed is actually listenable.

http://www.myspace.com/wormed
Eric

Postby Kkun » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:43 pm

Eric wrote:That's exactly my point, although Wormed is actually listenable.

http://www.myspace.com/wormed

Yeah. I agree with you. Wormed isn't completely awful, either. Devourment and Vomit Remnants made me laugh out loud, though. Have you heard stuff like Pig Grinder and other bands with names involving killing pigs? That stuff fits right in there, I'd say.
Kkun

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:45 pm

hehe....there are a LOT of brutal [and other] death metal bands in Japan....
Eric

Postby Kkun » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:47 pm

Eric wrote:hehe....there are a LOT of brutal [and other] death metal bands in Japan....

You know what's funny to me is that Japan has a really, really big metal and hardcore scene. I had no idea, and then my friend found some bands on MySpace. Japanese straight-edge hardcore bands are pretty amusing, honestly...
Kkun

Postby Joshua Christopher » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:57 am

hall & oates is way 2 heavy for me thats abotu as heavy as it gets
Joshua Christopher

Postby everdred12a » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:13 am

Kkun wrote:Have you heard stuff like Pig Grinder and other bands with names involving killing pigs? That stuff fits right in there, I'd say.

This made me LOL in the middle of computer programming class.

Joshua Christopher wrote:hall & oates is way 2 heavy for me thats abotu as heavy as it gets

I LOL'd again.

everdred12a

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 am

Two that I have to list are Norma Jean and Underoath. Their sound just grates on my ears.

*Takes cover from oncoming flying furniture*
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:17 pm

Eric wrote:Brodequin, Devourment, Liturgy, Wormed, Vomit Remnants, Disconformity, Disgorge (Mexico), and most other brutal death metal bands are most likely too heavy for you and everyone else on this forum.

Too heavy? I don't think so.

I don't consider pig-squealing vocals "heavy" in any means of the word.

None of those bands are too heavy for me.

EDIT: There is no woman alive that is too heavy for me either. Well, maybe...
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby everdred12a » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:11 pm

K. Ayato wrote:Two that I have to list are Norma Jean and Underoath. Their sound just grates on my ears.

*Takes cover from oncoming flying furniture*

No, I agree 100%. I can't stand Underoath or Norma Jean.

Tom Dincht wrote:EDIT: There is no woman alive that is too heavy for me either. Well, maybe...

:O

everdred12a

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:32 pm

Think that comment was too "eh?" XD

EDIT: I like underOATH's old material and I loved Norma Jean was Josh Scogin was still around (Luti-Kriss was okay). Once Josh left for the Chariot, I didn't pay much attention to Norma Jean, but I can clearly say that Norma Jean's frontman switch was a lot better.

Dallas owned Spencer as far as OU, but NJ's new guy isn't that bad.
Tommy

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Too heavy? I don't think so.

I don't consider pig-squealing vocals "heavy" in any means of the word.

None of those bands are too heavy for me.

They don't use that style of vocals....have you actually listened to any of them?
Eric

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:59 pm

Yes, I heard a song from each but the one I was mostly directing that post towards was Wormed.
Tommy

Postby Kkun » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:23 pm

Underoath and Norma Jean still rock, I don't care what anyone says. Spencer is good and Cory Brandan is a great vocalist after he got past O' God the Aftermath and his monotone vocals.
Kkun

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:35 am

Nope, no such thing as too heavy, although some stuff gets limited listens. Ganglia is a wierd cyber noise project I came across a while back. Pure drum machine and electronic blasts of noise with a few grindcore screams thown in here and there. Not too heavy to listen too, but not something to pour in your ears 24/7. Good black metal is awesome, I like the bands with the orchestral segues(sp) and backgrounds behind the blast beats. Good death metal is getting hard to find, especially Christian bands. Sorrowstorm, Immortal Souls, Holy Blood are a few good ones out there.

Somewhere along the line soe people decided that lousy production enhances really brutal, heavy music. Those people need to be kept as far away from recording equipment as possible.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Knives » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:38 pm

righteous_slave wrote:
Somewhere along the line soe people decided that lousy production enhances really brutal, heavy music. Those people need to be kept as far away from recording equipment as possible.

Ha ha, yes they do.

I can't stand wormed's vocals. They ruin the music completely for me.
Knives

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:42 pm

Sepulchera(sp?). They murdered Dante's Divine Comedy when they turned into a screaming death metal-fest. I ripped it out of my CD player, ground it into the dirt and pebbles, broke it in half, and then threw it in the trash.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:53 pm

It's Sepultura. You should've just given it to someone who would appreciate it or sold it to a store that buys used cds instead of destroying it; that was rather stupid. It really saddens me when I see people with such unbridled hatred for any form of music, especially when it's directed towards a highly influential and important band.
Eric

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 am

[quote="Eric"]It's Sepultura. You should've just given it to someone who would appreciate it or sold it to a store that buys used cds instead of destroying it]

Hey now. I threw away my 98 Degrees CD when I realized how retarded it was (like, what, age 11 or something? XD). But granted, they were neither highly influential nor were they important. Thank God. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:24 am

[quote="Eric"]It's Sepultura. You should've just given it to someone who would appreciate it or sold it to a store that buys used cds instead of destroying it]
Well if I somehow acquired every CD you own, I'd probably do the same. ;)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:46 pm

Listen, I bought it. It was mine. If I decided to destroy it, that is just so totally ok. I didn't enjoy it, don't have any friends that enjoys that kind of music, and the only reason I bought it was that I had heard it was based off Dante's Divine Comedy. What I found in it was a sick jest, an insult to my ears and heart. There is music that screams, and is hardcore, and can be quantified as good, and as music, but I'm afraid it's all a matter of taste otherwise. I felt degraded spiritually after listening to that, and I've listened to Hatebreed, so that's saying something in my book. I wouldn't suggest it to someone, and I wouldn't want it sold again.

So in short, taste, think what you will, blah, blah, blah, blah.

*end*

Edit: Also, I doubt you'd be raging if I'd ripped up, say, an N'sync CD. Which I have also done.
We are all as we appear
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Tommy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:51 pm

Same here, MSP.
Naturally, I'm an American, so I normally tend to listen to American music.

Jk, Jk.

In Flames is from Sweden and I do like Rammstein a little (Lyrics in German).

For your music, ATB is teh awesome, and there are some good Jrock bands out there, so I was 100% kidding.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:54 pm

The Black Keys is also something that could be called "too heavy" for me. They sounded like Led Zeppelin if they'd gone straight electric blues, rather than heavy metal.
We are all as we appear
Zarn Ishtare

Postby rurouninaruto » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:16 am

I actually used to think that there was stuff that was too heavy for me, but now I just think death metal and some screamo bands are just annoying. Not all screamo bands. Just a few screamo bands are annoying to me.
rurouninaruto

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:12 pm

[quote="Mr. SmartyPants"]Well if I somehow acquired every CD you own, I'd probably do the same. ]
Actually, I can pretty much guarantee that I have music from at least a few different styles that most people will enjoy (with the exception of those who are just not into music very much or are too closed-minded to listen to anything that is not on TV or the radio) since I listen to a very wide variety of music, be it within the metal subgenres or other things such as avant garde, progressive, ambient, classical, etc. I just usually tend to not like anything that is all that popular; that's not to say that everything I listen to is necessarily underground (I do not listen to music based on the popularity, or the lack thereof, of any particular band), but it's just not well-known, especially here in the United States.
Eric

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:24 am

[quote="Eric"]Actually, I can pretty much guarantee that I have music from at least a few different styles that most people will enjoy (with the exception of those who are just not into music very much or are too closed-minded to listen to anything that is not on TV or the radio) since I listen to a very wide variety of music, be it within the metal subgenres or other things such as avant garde, progressive, ambient, classical, etc. I just usually tend to not like anything that is all that popular]
Wanna bet? XD I however disagree with you when you say that those who are not into your types of genres are close-minded. I myself am not big on ANY form of rock (Besides some J-rock and maybe one or two songs of two other artists). I'm big on Trance (Vocal, progressive) Techno, IDM, etc. I don't see myself as close-minded. I've heard songs before of some artists you'd probably like. I just don't like rock. ;)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:28 am

Taste is good. Respecting taste is better. XD Not everyone likes rock, not everyone likes techno, not everyone likes Sufjan Stevens (:O), not everyone likes heavy metal, et cetera. XD

Now if only everyone would realize that...XD;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby That Dude » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:48 pm

Music eletists make Jesus sad.

Anyway I haven't found anything yet that's too hard for me. I do stay away from some stuff just because it annoys me. Like the black metal where the singers sound like GRRRAAAAAAHHHRRRRBBB with every single word that comes out of their mouths. I love all sorts of metal and hardcore I just don't like some of the bands screaming styles.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:16 pm

[quote="Mr. SmartyPants"]Wanna bet? XD I however disagree with you when you say that those who are not into your types of genres are close-minded. I myself am not big on ANY form of rock (Besides some J-rock and maybe one or two songs of two other artists). I'm big on Trance (Vocal, progressive) Techno, IDM, etc. I don't see myself as close-minded. I've heard songs before of some artists you'd probably like. I just don't like rock. ]

I don't think he implied you were closeminded.
He was referring to people who only listen to mainstream material like on MTV and stuff.
I don't see many Jrock or Jpop bands on MTV, MSP.

While I heavily (pun'd) disagree on you're musical taste, I don't think you're closeminded.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Previous Next

Return to Jam Session