What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:31 am

Perceptual Wavelet Adaptive Denoising of Speech by Qiang Fu and Eric Wan. Not a bad paper, but having tried out the demos, I'm not sure that works well enough for my needs.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:54 am

Inside Out by Larry Crabb. What a wonderful book.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Chief Buffalo Child Long Lance:The Glorious Impostor by Donald B.Smith.
mitsuki lover

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:54 pm

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson and Star Wars: Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn. Dude, Thrawn rawks
Shao Feng-Li

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:21 pm

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Dunedan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:56 pm

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
1001 Movies to Watch Before You Die
MAD Magazine
The reflections of light are everywhere
Only a gilded age of forgetfulness
A drunken slumber, goodnight but no kiss.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love, and to be loved in return."-Christian and later Toulouse, Moulin Rouge
Dunedan

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:44 pm

Finished reading Chief Buffalo Child Long Lance:The Glorious Impostor yesterday.
Quite an interesting re-read and teaches a lot of how race was viewed in the Jim Crow Era and even up until the Civil Rights Era.
Interesting even while passing himself off as a Native American(Slyvester Long actually did have some Native American ancestry his mother was descended from
the Lumbee tribe and his father was probably of Catawba descent although his paternal grandmother claimed to be of Cherokee stock)Slyvester Long aka Long
Lance still met with racial prejudice.For example he couldn't enter any liqour store or bar run by the Canadian government,etc.
mitsuki lover

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:47 pm

Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn
The War Between the Pitiful Teachers and the Splendid Kids by Stanley Kiesel
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Kaori » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:57 pm

I'm rereading Augustine's Confessions and enjoying the writing style as well as his spiritual insights.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:47 pm

Currently, I'm making my way through The Hobbit. After that I plan on reading something by Terry Pratchett, but I'm not sure which one yet.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:55 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:After that I plan on reading something by Terry Pratchett, but I'm not sure which one yet.

Try Guards! Guards! or Mort. Both are in my oppinion good places to start.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:36 am

Does Rurouni Kenshin:Voyage to the Moon World count as a book?
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:54 pm

Kaori wrote:I'm rereading Augustine's Confessions and enjoying the writing style as well as his spiritual insights.

It is incredible to me how Augustine weaves his story in with words to God, how his story and God-in-his-story are bursting through sentence after sentence. Almost like he's praying the book into being.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:49 pm

The tale of the sangreal from Morte de Arthur

also I have to read Murdering Mckinley. Blehh
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby yukinon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:00 pm

For school: Exploring the Old Testament by Ernest C. Lucas
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Alice » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:56 pm

Death of a Dreamer, by M.C. Beaton, and some other books, mostly Rex Stout.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:06 am

yukinon wrote:For school: Exploring the Old Testament by Ernest C. Lucas

I used that book for school as well. I found the section on Hebraic literary devices in poetry (Psalms) really interesting.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby yukinon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:04 pm

We just went over that section! It was really fun and makes me want to learn Hebrew someday.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:32 pm

just finished The Thief.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:52 pm

MATHEMAGICS by Margaret Ball.
Hilarious misadventures of Riva Konneva swordswoman extraordinaire as she tries to raise her daugther Salla in Austin,Texas in the Paper-Pushers World.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:40 am

mitsuki lover wrote:MATHEMAGICS by Margaret Ball.
Hilarious misadventures of Riva Konneva swordswoman extraordinaire as she tries to raise her daugther Salla in Austin,Texas in the Paper-Pushers World.

I always wished there were more of those stories.

Anyways, right now I'm reading Elvis, Jesus & Coca-Cola by Kinky Friedman.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Dunedan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:29 am

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
The reflections of light are everywhere
Only a gilded age of forgetfulness
A drunken slumber, goodnight but no kiss.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love, and to be loved in return."-Christian and later Toulouse, Moulin Rouge
Dunedan

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:10 pm

reading Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time right now. it is somewhat confusing and hard to understand, but the main plot is pretty interesting. i hope it gets better...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:33 pm

Thief of Time is probably my favorite novel in the series, actually. Not necessarily the funniest (though I liked it in that respect as well) but I think the plot is the best. Sorry you find it confusing; things will probably begin to come together for you as you continue.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm

[quote="uc pseudonym"]Sorry you find it confusing]

i really hope so. i read the first three pages, and didn't have a clue what was going on. i was seriously tempted to just put it down and try another book. now, i'm on like page 80 right now and things are somewhat clearer to me...

after i finish Thief of Time, i'll probably try out Pratchett's novel, Night Watch. i do not think that it is part of the Discworld series, but it sounds interesting.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:46 pm

It's part of the series too, actually (most of Pratchett's work is). Discworld is a rather big place, and there are a lot of different strains of plot that don't always intersect with one another greatly (Death is essentially the only common element).

jon_jinn wrote:i read the first three pages, and didn't have a clue what was going on.

Ah. It's been a good six years since I read that novel, but if I recall you aren't supposed to understand at the beginning.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:41 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:It's part of the series too, actually (most of Pratchett's work is). Discworld is a rather big place, and there are a lot of different strains of plot that don't always intersect with one another greatly (Death is essentially the only common element).

Ah. It's been a good six years since I read that novel, but if I recall you aren't supposed to understand at the beginning.

okay. i guess i feel better about not really understanding it very much. anyways, is Death a mouse, because that's what i made him out to be when the author described him...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 am

I'm currently reading The End. It's the final volume in the Lemony Snicket books.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:28 pm

jon_jinn wrote:okay. i guess i feel better about not really understanding it very much. anyways, is Death a mouse, because that's what i made him out to be when the author described him...

Are you sure it wasn't the Death of Rats? He's a separate character (Death gave him authority over the small rodents part of his job). Death himself is a tall skeletal humanoid in a black robe with glowing blue eyes. One of the Discworld books is heavily illustrated, and in it Death appears; you may be able to find this image online.
uc pseudonym

Postby faithfighter » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:14 pm

currently I am reading Firegirl
it is surprisingly like Stargirl...in fact it's almost uncanny how alike they are...very weird
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner