A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Beka Cooper Terrier by Tamora Pierce
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:42 pm

WASP Where Is They Sting?By Florence King.
Written in 1977 this is a satirical sociological look at the predominant Anglo-Saxon
culture of America.
chapters include:
Keeping Up With Mrs.Jonesborough
We Don't Kith Our Kin
Anti-Intellectualism or My Fathter's Dumber Than Yours
mitsuki lover

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Nothing right now. I'm waiting to get How Few Remain in the mail. Stupid mailman.......
WrestlingOtaku

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:23 pm

Did you join a mail order book club?
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:43 pm

The World's Religions by Huston Smith

It has been hailed as "the best one-volume book on world religions" and primarily covers Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, and tribal religions. Having read only the chapter on primal religions, I can say that I hope the rest will be informative but I'm finding the writing style oddly thick.

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Actually, I haven't begun the story yet, having first worked through the numerous prefaces and introductions. But I will begin shortly.
uc pseudonym

Postby yukinon » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:04 pm

The first book sounds interesting. I loved The Universe Next Door, but that sounds a bit more in-depth.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Kaori » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:33 pm

I've just read a selection of Ferdinand de Saussure's Course in General Linguistics (compiled posthumously from students' class notes), and found it more interesting than I expected, despite an irritating tendency to use terms (including some that Saussure himself invented) for several pages before defining them. After this, I will be reading through Elements of Semiology, by Roland Barthes.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:26 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Did you join a mail order book club?

Nah, I ordered the book off of Amazon.com and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Grrrr..... It's getting very annoying and it seems like it's taking forever!! (Even though it's only been a week.)
WrestlingOtaku

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:39 pm

I know how you feel.I ordered vol.#5 of Case Closed from Rightstuf print catalog
on December 27 and know it's gonna at least a couple more weeks before it gets in,what with the holidays and everything.

Checked out Star Wars Tales from the library(graphic novel).
mitsuki lover

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:53 pm

Finally!!! My book is here!!! *Goes off and sits in a comfy recliner with a blanket, preparing to read his new book, How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove.*
WrestlingOtaku

Postby ICE-rocks » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:02 pm

The Bible
Dragonspell saga.

MY Favorite books ever. I read all three that are out. (Can't wait for the fourth one)
I'm back with a vengeance or at least anime studio :thumb:
ICE-rocks

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:32 pm

Instead of Three Wishes by Megan Whalen Turner. She's one of my favorite authors, so I'm reading through all of her books in order of when they were first published--this was her first one, a collection of short stories.

It's also book number 2 in my 50 book challenge. ^_^
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Alice » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:15 pm

More Rex Stout.

Also: The Daughter of Time, by Josephine Tey
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:35 am

Eragon by Christopher Paolini.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:59 pm

I read the story:MARA JADE:A Night On The Town as the first one in the Tales of
Star Wars graphic story collection today.I think someone ought to really write a series of Mara Jade Star Wars novels as I find her one of the most interesting characters.Plus it be interesting to see something written from the perspective
of someone who comes from the Empire's side of things.
mitsuki lover

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:01 pm

I am reading Beowulf

also did you hear Robet Jordan the writer of the weel of time story is dying. He has some rare blood disorder.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:44 pm

Lately reading has been slowed due to the onset of school textbooks. An unusual number of pages were assigned at the beginning.

Mi-Ru-Me wrote:also did you hear Robet Jordan the writer of the weel of time story is dying. He has some rare blood disorder.

Then it's just possible he might end the series in a reasonable number of books. Perhaps the battle with the Dark One won't be a trilogy.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Are you sure that it's not just a rumor?I hate to say it but 'dying of a rare blood
disease'sounds more like a rumor someone came up with.A bit more information such as the name of the disease and how long he's had it would be helpful.
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:09 pm

Ok I found Robert Jordan's Blog and he discusses it there.Evidently he has been at the Mayo Clinic for treatment.He appears to be better since
Christmas but notes that he isn't cured or in remission.
Note:Robert Jordan is not his real name but a pen name made out of the initials of his real name.
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:28 pm

The Measure of a Man (By Gene A. Getz)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:57 pm

Splinter Cell: Operation Barracuda.

Sweet read. There is some content, but I overlook that.

If you have any questions, PM me.
Tommy

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 am

Finishing up Star Wars Tales vol.1 today.
The best of the bunch IMO were:
*'Extinction' by Ron Marz...Vader hunts down a remaining Jedi Knight
*'Mara Jade:A Night On The Town' by Timothy Zahn..The Emperor's Hand
is sent to a Rebel held planet to assissinate a embezzeling ex-governor
*'Incident At Horn Station' by Dan Jolley...A miner is more than he seems
*'Deal With A Demon'by John Ostrander...Intrigue centering around the
rescue of an alien Princess
*'Three Against The Galaxy' by Rich Hedden...One of Jabba The Hutt's ex-body
guards in a tale of familial revenge
*'Moment of Doubt' by Lovern Kindzierski...An assassin tries to kill Vader
mitsuki lover

Postby narutofreak » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm

I am reading Blade of Fire sequel to Cry of the Icemark and the first of the Binding of the Blade Books, Beyond the Summerland!!
narutofreak

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:34 pm

Star Trek:Voyager:Seven of Nine by Christie Golden
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:17 pm

the princess bride (the "good parts" version abridged by william goldman)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:59 am

Stardust by some Gaiman guy.
I'm also going to read a short story collection called The Island of Doctor Death and Other Tales and Other Tales (the title is correct) by Gene Wolfe.
bigsleepj

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:05 pm

Read part 2 of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Soul Lost In Space comic book mini-series.I think the series was cancelled before they got to the end.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Jeremiah: Believers Church Bible Commentary by Elmer Martens

Not sure what I can add to the title, really.
uc pseudonym

Postby Taliesin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:38 pm

The jungle book. for the third time.
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby Kaori » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Roland Barthes' Elements of Semiology, an excerpt from Claude Levi-Strauss about myth, and "Differance" [sic] by Derrida. Levi-Strauss was fairly interesting; Derrida, on the other hand, I would not recommend to anyone.

The Presence of the Word, by Walter Ong. This book is largely about how cultures have changed in the shift from being purely oral to having written language (as the title suggests, he also discusses how this shift has affected Christianity). Some parts of the book were insightful and even fascinating, but other parts were not very well argued. Overall, it was a fairly interesting read.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner