Punkerz United

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby everdred12a » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:22 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Would you guys consider Billy Talent punk?
I've only heard "Red Flag" and "The Devil in the Midnight Mass".
I heard they're emo, but I disagree.

I find "Red Flag" very punkish.

Billy Talent... I suppose you could. I'm not very familiar with their work, though I've always intended to check them out. The only song by them I've heard is 'Try Honesty.'

I'm thinking sometime this week I might go pick up a new CD, but I'm not sure what I'll get. I've been thinking about getting a Lagwagon album, but I've also been considering buying some Swingin' Utters off of half.com... maybe I'll bypass both and get some Billy Talent XD

everdred12a

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:42 pm

"Try Honesty"....compared to "Red Flag" that song is very slow.

For some reason "Red Flag" sounds a little bit like "All My Friends Are Dead" by "You-Know-Who" XD.
Tommy

Postby Knives » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:22 pm

I like some punk. Such as:
Black Flag
The Ramones
The Clash
Green Day
Bad Religion
Dead Kennedys

I also like loads of metalcore...which has some punk elements in it.
Knives

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:58 pm

Sweet list, Knives.
Tommy

Postby everdred12a » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:10 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:"Try Honesty"....compared to "Red Flag" that song is very slow.

For some reason "Red Flag" sounds a little bit like "All My Friends Are Dead" by "You-Know-Who" XD.

Tom, I have to ask where you heard that song from. I can't think of Turbonegro getting too much mainstream play, except maybe from Viva La Bam and Wildboys.

everdred12a

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Dead Kennedys are definately a fun punk band...Another good band that kinda reminds me of them is Calibretto 13. Kick booty folk punk.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby everdred12a » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Dead Kennedys is another older punk band I should probably listen to, but I just haven't. What I tend to find out is that the late 80's/early-to-mid-90's punk is the best stuff. In fact, that's the time period where a big chunk of my collection is from.

everdred12a

Postby indyrocker » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:47 pm

well for me it would have to be
the Sexpistols
The Clash
Dropkick Murphys
Rancid
Sum 41

I tend to hang more tword the ska/swing revival part of punk as well as a few local pop punk bands
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:35 am

You mean stuff like FIF Agentsmith?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Knives » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:49 am

Tom Dincht wrote:Sweet list, Knives.

Thanks!

I think I forgot to mention a few:
Sum 41
Sex Pistols

I personally think the punk from the 80s and late 70s was the best.
Knives

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:52 pm

I'm more for the late 90's faster/harder end of pop punk...With bands like MxPx and Sick Of Change.
That Dude

Postby Tommy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:03 pm

Meh...Sum 41 is okay.

Everdred12a, you can hear "Red Flag" on http://www.purevolume.com/billytalent

Oh, you mean "All my friends are Dead"?
My friend Dan showed it to me on Turbonegro's purevolume.

By the way, my friend Dan read this thread and saw you liked them and wants to know if you like their "Wildboyz" theme song.

EDIT: I also wanted to add I like a lot of bands that don't receive mainstream attention. You don't see the old In Flames (as in back when they came out with Jester Race) getting mainstream attention, do ya?
Tommy

Postby everdred12a » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Meh...Sum 41 is okay.

I personally think Sum 41 is pretty good.

Everdred12a, you can hear "Red Flag" on http://www.purevolume.com/billytalent

(is listening to while posting)
It's a solid song. I think it's well-done, and I might go out and pick this album up.

Oh, you mean "All my friends are Dead"?
My friend Dan showed it to me on Turbonegro's purevolume.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I try to keep up with as much Turbo news as I can, but it's difficult because
A) they're a European-based band (from Norway)
B) I'm convinced I'm the only Turbo fan in all of Georgia
So, when they get some media exposure, I try to keep track of where.

By the way, my friend Dan read this thread and saw you liked them and wants to know if you like their "Wildboyz" theme song.

Oh yes, I love that song. It's called 'The Age of Pamparius' from the album Apocalypse Dudes, and it's the song that got me into Turbo, actually. I'm not sure if Dan is a CAA user or not, but he automatically wins for liking Turbonegro, even if it is just the one song XD

EDIT: I also wanted to add I like a lot of bands that don't receive mainstream attention. You don't see the old In Flames (as in back when they came out with Jester Race) getting mainstream attention, do ya?

I've heard of In Flames before, but I've only heard the song 'Trigger.' And I agree, usually, the best bands are the ones that don't recieve a lot of media attention. You can find some great stuff in the underground ;D

everdred12a

Postby indyrocker » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:35 pm

That Dude wrote:You mean stuff like FIF Agentsmith?
Actualy yah there are a few good ska bands out there but most of them are not around any more sadly
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Tommy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:23 pm

everdred12a wrote:I personally think Sum 41 is pretty good.

I personally thin they're okay. :D

(is listening to while posting)
It's a solid song. I think it's well-done, and I might go out and pick this album up.

I assumed you would like it.

B) I'm convinced I'm the only Turbo fan in all of Georgia

I doubt that.

Oh yes, I love that song. It's called 'The Age of Pamparius' from the album Apocalypse Dudes, and it's the song that got me into Turbo, actually. I'm not sure if Dan is a CAA user or not, but he automatically wins for liking Turbonegro, even if it is just the one song XD

He does have an account, but he's only made two posts.
He likes "All my Friends are Dead" more.

[quote]I've heard of In Flames before, but I've only heard the song 'Trigger.' And I agree, usually, the best bands are the ones that don't recieve a lot of media attention. You can find some great stuff in the underground ]

Trigger was okay, but I would consider that their new stuff which is quite inferior.

Seeing now as of 2007, mainstream music is for the most part crap (like all they show on MTV). The less-known stuff is usually better and is actually ironic to some degree. XD
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby everdred12a » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Seeing now as of 2007, mainstream music is for the most part crap (like all they show on MTV). The less-known stuff is usually better and is actually ironic to some degree. XD

Yeah, that's the way it tends to go. Labels sign bands based on whether they think they'll sell records or not. That's the way it went in the 80's with hair metal bands. If you were a metal band, and you wrote a power ballad, you had a record deal. That's what sold back then - power ballads. It's not too different now. The mainstream seems to be with pop punk bands and stuff of the emo/posthardcore/hardcore genre. That and rap =P Therefore, a Rap/Pop punk/emo posthardcore band would be a gold mine in today's music market XD

everdred12a

Previous

Return to Jam Session