appropriate rock/heavy metal bands (again)

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

appropriate rock/heavy metal bands (again)

Postby rurouninaruto » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:36 am

Yet again, I start another thread to find some appropriate alternative hard rock bands, appropriate heavy metal, and christian heavy metal!:lol:

I need help finding some hard rock/ heavy metal bands that are appropriate, with no cussing, and no messages about drugs and demons and crap. Maybe even some bands with positive messages and christian messages. The bands I like, but am not allowed to listen to are:

Disturbed (My favorite heavy metal band.)
Metallica
Drowning Pool
Nickelback
Godsmack
Three Days Grace
AC/DC
Seether
Black Sabbath
Evanescence

The bands I like that I AM allowed to listen to (but I DO wish they were heavier) are:

Led Zeppelin
Hoobastank
Flyleaf
Audioslave
Shinedown

Thanks, guys.
P.S.

The last thread that I started on this subject brought in alot of suggestions of hardcore heavy metal bands, that have ALOT of screaming. I am not after that. Screaming is ok, just not a WHOLE lot of it.
rurouninaruto

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:42 am

Skillet (particularly their album Collide)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:59 am

Couldn't you just look at the old thread. Or bring it back up asking about not using saying the exact same thing in a different thread.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby rurouninaruto » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:01 am

Couldn't you just look at the old thread. Or bring it back up asking about not using saying the exact same thing in a different thread.

I could've, I just thought a new thread would be better.
rurouninaruto

Postby everdred12a » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:25 am

"Clean" and "metal" aren't two things you'll often find used together outside of Christian music. I would suggest The Showdown in the scope of Christian metal. They're a blast live, too. 10 Years also has a good, and clean hard rock album in The Autumn Effect. That's about all I can suggest, though. Let me note, though, 10 Years isn't Christian. Just, the way I said it makes it sound like it is.

everdred12a

Postby rurouninaruto » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:48 pm

Just to let you guys know, I am still wide open to suggestions. ^^
rurouninaruto

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:30 pm

everdred12a wrote:"Clean" and "metal" aren't two things you'll often find used together outside of Christian music.

That's actually not in the least bit true. Aside from the few Satanic/anti-Christian and gore-oriented bands I listen to, very few of them have any objectionable lyrical content at all.
Eric

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:50 pm

I'd say check out...
Trust Company (non-christian)
Lucerin Blue
Kids In The Way
Stavesacre!!!!!!!!!!
Chevelle.

I'll post more later.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Angel37 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:59 pm

Evanescnce is a Christian band...o.O

Demon Hunter is as well. They're very heavy!
Angel37

Postby beau99 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Angel37 wrote:Evanescnce is a Christian band...o.O

Nope. Amy, Rocky and John are Christians and sometimes their faith will come through, but they don't write music for Christians.
beau99

Postby Tommy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:11 pm

Demon Hunter is though.

So is Underoath, As I Lay Dying (not 100% sure on this one, but they're clean), ect.
Tommy

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:53 pm

As I Lay Dying is Christian, although I personally wouldn't recommend them.
Eric

Postby That Dude » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 pm

As Eric said As I Lay Dying is christian, I know one of the members personally and can vouch for them. Anyway I differ from Eric in that I would recommend them...Unless you don't like hardcore.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:05 pm

They're metalcore, not hardcore.
Eric

Postby That Dude » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm

metalcore is a sub genre of hardcore so I figured it'd be just as easy to say hardcore since metalcore as I stated before is a sub genre of hardcore. It's like me saying a band is metal instead of saying they are viking metal.
That Dude

Postby beau99 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:22 pm

That Dude wrote:metalcore is a sub genre of hardcore so I figured it'd be just as easy to say hardcore since metalcore as I stated before is a sub genre of hardcore. It's like me saying a band is metal instead of saying they are viking metal.

No, metalcore is metal and hardcore fused together.
beau99

Postby Kkun » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:52 pm

sigh. blah blah blah random made up genres blah blah blah. Blah.
Blah.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 pm

Metalcore isn't a random made-up genre. It's been around since the late 1980's.

And beau99 is correct.
Eric

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:05 pm

All I'm saying is that they don't like really hard screaming music (which the layman nowdays usually connects with hardcore) than they won't like AILD because it's hard and they scream a lot.

And I agree with Beau that it's a fusion of the two genres but couldn't that be classified as a sub genre for both or am I completely mistaken?
That Dude

Postby Kkun » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:24 pm

Eric wrote:Metalcore isn't a random made-up genre. It's been around since the late 1980's.

I kind of typed that out to delete another post I'd made about the pointlessness of correcting a genre of music. I need some aspirin.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Hands some asperin to Kkun. Hey now that everyone has basically said what they needed to say lets get back to suggesting music.
That Dude

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:43 am

That Dude wrote:All I'm saying is that they don't like really hard screaming music (which the layman nowdays usually connects with hardcore) than they won't like AILD because it's hard and they scream a lot.

And I agree with Beau that it's a fusion of the two genres but couldn't that be classified as a sub genre for both or am I completely mistaken?

I have only ever seen it as a subgenre of metal, but there are certain metalcore bands that are more towards the hardcore end of the spectrum (i.e. bands like Atreyu, Blood for My Valentine, etc., which are not listed on Metal Archives) as opposed to the ones that are more metal (like Shadows Fall, Neaera, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, etc.).
Eric

Postby rurouninaruto » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:08 am

I do like some screaming. Some of it can be very awsome.

Also, is there a christian metal band out there that kinda sounds like Godsmack? Cause I love Godsmack, but like I pointed out before, my dad doesn't like them....

Also, this comment is pretty off subject, so please don't say anything about, but I REALLY need to change my avatar, don't I?
rurouninaruto

Postby That Dude » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:52 pm

Since I really don't like Godsmack I could really help you there, except you might try twelve stones. If your looking for a christian alternative to Rammstien check out E-Nomine.
That Dude

Postby rurouninaruto » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:35 am

Thanks for some of the suggestions!
rurouninaruto

Postby rurouninaruto » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:42 am

I still need suggestions.
rurouninaruto

Postby That Dude » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:16 am

Embodyment!
That Dude

Postby Kai Robin » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:19 pm

I'm not so sure about some of these bands, I've listened to a couple of them and all I've heard is people screaming their guts own with zero compositional talent.
As far as bands go, check out Muse, their second, third and fourth albums (Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Blackholes and Revelations) easily pwn everything on this thread! (Well, at least in my world!) :)
Kai Robin

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:27 pm

Screaming takes a lot of talent to be able to do it without messing up your vocal cords; it basically uses singing techniques, but takes it a few steps further. In other words, being able to sing well makes it a lot easier to use extreme vocals.

And I seriously doubt he would like Muse.
Eric

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 pm

This is something that I agree with you wholeheartedly on Eric. And as far as the compositional stuff honestly metal and hardcore is generally more complex than the majority of pop and other such stuff.
That Dude

Next

Return to Jam Session