A Confession, I Must Say This....

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

A Confession, I Must Say This....

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:12 pm

Today, while at a friends house...I experimented with emo. I know I should not have done it. But I knew others who had tried it...and they seemed normal. Now, after years of mocking the emo crowd, mocking the fans...and the music...I must admit. I Steve, like emo music. I love Emery, and I am proud to admit it.

Pray for me.

Jamie, get a bat and knock me back to me.
Stephen

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm disgusted.

D i s g u s t e d.

*puts hands on hips, throws head back; commence cruel and insensitive laughter*
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby everdred12a » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:20 pm

Well, I think it's safe to say there's a difference between LIKING emo and BEING emo. When you start to dye your hair black (and do a bad job of it on purpose), buy all your clothes from the thrift store, and cry because you LIKE to, THEN you're officially emo. If you like the music and you're proud to admit it, then that's awesome. Rock on. But as long as you don't go around LOOKING for something to be depressed about, you're okay (ex: "Why are you sad THIS time?" "The batteries in my TV remote died...")

everdred12a

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:21 pm

My hair was black before I ever heard emo....Genetics are to blame there.
Stephen

Postby everdred12a » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 pm

ShatterheartArk wrote:My hair was black before I ever heard emo....Genetics are to blame there.

Ouch... well, you're not 5-foot-nothing and weigh 76 pounds, right? You have to be economy-size to be emo.

everdred12a

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:23 pm

Whew. 6 foot and 175. I think I am safe.
Stephen

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:23 pm

everdred12a wrote:Well, I think it's safe to say there's a difference between LIKING emo and BEING emo. When you start to dye your hair black (and do a bad job of it on purpose), buy all your clothes from the thrift store, and cry because you LIKE to, THEN you're officially emo. If you like the music and you're proud to admit it, then that's awesome. Rock on. But as long as you don't go around LOOKING for something to be depressed about, you're okay (ex: "Why are you sad THIS time?" "The batteries in my TV remote died...")

Well, actually, that's pretty much true. XD Just don't turn into a scene kid, and you'll be fine. Theoretically, that is. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby samuraidragon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:56 pm

Real emo music is nothing to be ashamed of. There's a lot of fake emo out there, and that is what I would look down on you for.

P.S. Jamie likes Emery.
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby beau99 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:43 pm

That's not real emo.

Real emo would be hardcore bands like Rites of Spring and Fugazi.
beau99

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:58 am

Hope is Emo

Is it worth watching these? HECK YES.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:48 am

>3<
I can see it now...

He's an emo Kid, non conforming as can be.. you'd be emo too if you looked just like Steve. He's got paint on his nails and make up on his face. He's emo enough to start shaving his legs....

sorry.. I had too.. I HAAAAAAD TOO!

I am not a huge fan of Emo music.. ^^; But that's cool if it doesn't affect you!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Tommy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:19 am

I like Emery, but I'm the farthest thing from an emo. The only time I ever told anyone I was gonna cut my wrists was in this thread:

http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=39156&highlight=time
Tommy

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:48 am

*sigh* Another one falls victim.

I'm afraid this is something you'll have to live with for the rest of your life, Steve.
Mithrandir

Postby Kkun » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:05 am

Steve, Emery is basically amazing. There is no shame in liking good music, whether it is emo or not. I'll forego the bat experience until you go out and buy a Death Cab for Cutie album.

You need to go out and get yourself a copy of The Weak's End right now, though.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:37 am

I won't point this post at anyone in peticular. But get over yourselves. Geez. The music board on this site is getting annoying to even visit anymore...with just a bunch of elitist know-it-alls. "This is not rock" "This is not metal" "This is not emo" My word. The type of music fans that this part of CAA is bleeding these days is just sad. They come off as arrogant and rude. If anyone says anything, they must be corrected...because its the "cool thing" to do.

Taken from allmusic.com

Allmusic.com wrote:but rather are melodic alternative pop/rockers who incorporate hardcore elements. That approach has also been called "screamo" -- in other words, emotional and melodic sensitivity contrasting with the sort of screaming vocals one associates with hardcore and metalcore.

Screamo is a form of emo. Just like nu-metal is a form of metal. If the hardcore scary scene fans don't like that, thats tough. It is, how it is.

Now. Having said all that. I need to go buy some more Emery music. And Jamie, I have heard some DCC and I like it too.
Stephen

Postby samuraidragon » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:43 am

ShatterheartArk wrote:I won't point this post at anyone in peticular. But get over yourselves. Geez. The music board on this site is getting annoying to even visit anymore...with just a bunch of elitist know-it-alls. "This is not rock" "This is not metal" "This is not emo" My word. The type of music fans that this part of CAA is bleeding these days is just sad. They come off as arrogant and rude. If anyone says anything, they must be corrected...because its the "cool thing" to do.
Um, I was joking about looking down on you. I like emo too. I forgot about how that doesn't work without speech.
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:21 pm

Just stay away from them tight-tight pants, Steve-sama.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:21 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Just stay away from them tight-tight pants, Steve-sama.

.rai//

Meaning girl pants.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby KBMaster » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:07 pm

Kkun wrote:Steve, Emery is basically amazing. There is no shame in liking good music, whether it is emo or not. I'll forego the bat experience until you go out and buy a Death Cab for Cutie album.

Death Cab for Cutie is considered Emo? Who woulda thunk it?
KBMaster

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:46 pm

I was not pointing at my post at one person. Its a general attitude on the music board these days. Far more then one person is guilty.
Stephen

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:44 pm

KBMaster wrote:Death Cab for Cutie is considered Emo? Who woulda thunk it?

I sure didn't. XD I love both DCFC and The Postal Service, though. Ben Gibbard is just a good musician. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby beau99 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:47 pm

ShatterheartArk wrote:I won't point this post at anyone in peticular. But get over yourselves. Geez. The music board on this site is getting annoying to even visit anymore...with just a bunch of elitist know-it-alls. "This is not rock" "This is not metal" "This is not emo" My word. The type of music fans that this part of CAA is bleeding these days is just sad. They come off as arrogant and rude. If anyone says anything, they must be corrected...because its the "cool thing" to do.

Taken from allmusic.com

Screamo is a form of emo. Just like nu-metal is a form of metal. If the hardcore scary scene fans don't like that, thats tough. It is, how it is.

Now. Having said all that. I need to go buy some more Emery music. And Jamie, I have heard some DCC and I like it too.

Allmusic has no credibility anymore. They not only mislabel bands, but they name genres that don't even exist.

Plus, I'm not voicing my opinion, I was merely stating artist opinions. Emery doesn't like being called emo, so you shouldn't call them that. That's all I was saying.

While I'm at it, here's a list of bands who DON'T like being called emo:

Emery
Death Cab For Cutie
Jimmy Eat World
Weezer

Oh... and nu-metal was just a term invented by the press. It's not a real genre.
beau99

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:04 pm

So if someone does not want to be called somthing, that changes what they are? If I wake up tomorrow claiming I am Egyptian...guess what...I will still be American. But thank you for giving a face to the kind of music fan that is slowly bleeding the music board of CAA to death.
Stephen

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:10 pm

Okey-dokey, I think this is probably where the argument should end. To be honest, the whole "music genre" thing is incredibly subjective. It's not that big of a deal, and certainly nothing that should divide borthers and sisters in Christ. I don't want to sound preachy, but I don't think that this debate is worth it.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby everdred12a » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:12 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Okey-dokey, I think this is probably where the argument should end. To be honest, the whole "music genre" thing is incredibly subjective. It's not that big of a deal, and certainly nothing that should divide borthers and sisters in Christ. I don't want to sound preachy, but I don't think that this debate is worth it.

.rai//

I agree. There are far too many people with elitist tendencies on Jam Session =x

everdred12a

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:20 pm

Wow. Lots of tension on the topic guys...Look, as far as music goes, I'll quote my grandmother:

"It doesn't minister to my soul, but that doesn't mean it doesn't minister to someone else."

Now, she was refering to different kinds of worship music, like rock worship and that sort of thing, but I think the general idea applies here too.

That's all I've got to say, anyway.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:21 pm

My biggest thing is, if *we* hate media terms. Or genres...where do any come from? I don't recall like Pearl Jam or Nirvana screaming "We are the grunge Gods" The media lables everything. Terms like Pop, rock, hiphop. All were not made up by the bands really. To say a term like nu-metal is not a genre is silly. Bands like Slipknot, etc. Can not really be lumped in with Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath.

What Jam Session needs, is for people to lay off. Too many times, I see threads get made...and people troll them.

"Thats not metal" "Thats not emo" Add somthing, or post on another thread. It gets old, when people just use Jam Session as a soap-box to complain about the differences in music. Listen to it, or don't. There is a reason why there are so many styles. But don't babble at others for liking somthing.
Stephen

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:50 pm

A Link That Might Be An Emo Mash-up Video. Or A Puppy Jumping Into Pudding. You Figure It Out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GD42nn-11R0&mode=related&search=

I think returning to topic might be advisable.

I'm actually ok with emo. Now, you'll not get me listening to Simple Plan anytime soon, but Dashboard, Jacks Manniquen(Sp?) and others like them do some good work, and they have cred on the scene with bands I like alot more.

Though of course mewithoutYou still beats all in my book.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:54 pm

Zarn Ishtare wrote:A Link That Might Be An Emo Mash-up Video. Or A Puppy Jumping Into Pudding. You Figure It Out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GD42nn-11R0&mode=related&search=

I think returning to topic might be advisable.

I'm actually ok with emo. Now, you'll not get me listening to Simple Plan anytime soon, but Dashboard, Jacks Manniquen(Sp?) and others like them do some good work, and they have cred on the scene with bands I like alot more.

Though of course mewithoutYou still beats all in my book.

http://churchsigngenerator.com/makesign5.php?line1=Music&line2=Elitists&line3=Make+Babies&line4=Cry
Stephen

Postby samuraidragon » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:06 pm

-マックスウェル

samuraidragon

Next

Return to Jam Session