What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Animus Seed » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:53 pm

Vita Nouva by Dante Aligheri, the same guy who wrote the Divine Commedy. (Both are amazing, by the by.)
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:53 pm

Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden, and bits and pieces out of a World Mythology book. I also recently read Light on Snow, by Anita Shreve. It was surprisingly good.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby faithfighter » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:37 pm

the bride of stone by Thomas William
it's a christian fasntasy novel. very interesting! Somewhat gruesom though, but wonderful!
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 pm

Havent picked up a book in a while but I just got Stardust by Neil Gaiman (The Sandman series, MirrorMask, Neverwhere etc...) the other day at borders. Havent got to far but so far its pretty awesome IMO.

Its an "adult" fantasy novel about this guy,Tristan, who goes on a journey beyond "the wall" to get a fallen star for the icy cold Victoria who he really likes who says she will marry him if he can bring back the star. (BTW, adult not in a bad way like "adults only" just that its not aimed at kids really)
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:39 am

Stardust is amazing. That's the book that made me realize, "Hey, Gaiman's my favorite author, isn't he?"
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Needle Noggin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:03 pm

I just finished Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

It was pretty awesome.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby yukinon » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:11 am

oh man! I saw that in the store the other day and wanted it so bad.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Kaori » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:49 pm

The Winter's Tale by Shakespeare.

Selections from the New and Collected Poems of Czeslaw Milosz. Since Milosz was a Christian and a Nobel prize-winning poet, I feel I ought to have liked him, but I actually felt pretty ambivalent about his poetry. *goes back to reading the metaphysical poets*
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:47 am

I find that the older I get the harder it is for me to really concentrate on full length books of any sort.
Loosing neurons in your brain can do that to you.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Halo Graphic Novel
Marvel 1602

This isn't real reading, but I'm on my break and I'm tired of textbooks. Stopping by the local library for CAA yesterday, I happened upon these two titles, both of which have been on my general reading list for some time. I was a bit disappointed with the Halo Graphic Novel. Not that it was bad, but I expected more (the first story about the Elites and the last one about the media ops guy were solid, though). At some point in the future I'll read Marvel 1602 and I'm sure it will be interesting.
uc pseudonym

Postby Alice » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:20 pm

Hercule Poirot's Christmas, by Agatha Christie

Morality for Beautiful Girls, by Alexander McCall Smith

The Sunday Philosophy Club, by Alexander McCall Smith

All mysteries today....

Actually, I'm reading some other books as well, but I'm not sure if I'll finish them or not, so I didn't write them down here.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby memmer66 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:35 pm

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. So far I really like! Very good, interesting, keeps me interested, VERY well written.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:13 pm

Rereading A Treasury of Royal Scandals by Michael Farquhar.
Those Tudors and Plantagenets were such loving families that they could have
plucked each others eyes out and stabbed each other in the back without blinking.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:47 pm

I'm currently reading Ovid's Metamorphoses for the first time.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:28 pm

i'm currently reading a historical fiction novel called "Dust" by Arthur Slade. i haven't gotten very far into the book yet so i can't say much about it...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Needle Noggin » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:34 pm

I finished Dune by Frank Herbert last week, it was great. I finished The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick on Wednesday. Fantastic novel.

Currently I have nothing to read. Come Christmas, I'll have a few dozen.
Go young wildebeest
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby yukinon » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:09 am

My boy got me a year's subscription to Newtype! Hooray!
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Needle Noggin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:11 am

Waste of $90. Especially when you can get a subscription for free.
Go young wildebeest
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby yukinon » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:15 am

Thanks. That was really unneccessary.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Alice » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:57 pm

More Than Human, by Theodore Sturgeon

And no one dared
Alice

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:52 am

Prayer: Does it Make a Difference? by Philip Yancy

I've read two fifths of the book (the first and fourth, due to interest) and so far it has been decent. "Decent" only because the subject is a difficult one. It has far more honesty than answers, which is perhaps good given the inherent mystery of prayer. Though I'm enjoying the candor with which it is written, especially hard facts that run up against the most grievous abuses of prayer, it doesn't discuss them quite enough for my liking.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jaltus-bot » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:34 pm

Canto General by Pablo Neruda.

It's like a history of Latin America writtin in poetry.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:14 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Prayer: Does it Make a Difference? by Philip Yancy

Hehe thar guy is quite the character... our church did a Sunday evening study on his book titled "The Jesus I Never Knew" I think it was... Man, him and his giant fro and those wild close-ups with the camera on the video segment of it... It was an overall interesting study though, but yeah, just makes me laugh on the inside when I hear his name cause of those sessions^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby memmer66 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:01 pm

Once I finish reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami one of my Aunt's and Uncle's gave me a copy of Next my Michael Crichton for Christmas.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby yukinon » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:53 am

I got a silly book of essays by Nora Ephron for Christmas. It is next on my reading list.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Hehe thar guy is quite the character... our church did a Sunday evening study on his book titled "The Jesus I Never Knew" I think it was... Man, him and his giant fro and those wild close-ups with the camera on the video segment of it... It was an overall interesting study though, but yeah, just makes me laugh on the inside when I hear his name cause of those sessions^^

Heh. I've only encountered him throuh his writing, never a video series. I respect him a fair bit as an author. He is intelligent and theological while remaining focused on the issues that really matter and approaching everything in a substantial way. If only more mainline evangelicals were like him...

Random story he shares in the book: no less than three times when he has been on a speaking engagement in Japan, he has had Japanese girls come up to him giggling and ask "Mr. Yancy, may we touch your hair?"
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:15 pm

I read his book Soul Survivor,but I think his memory of his younger days were probably overexeggerated.Face it when people get older they tend to exggerate
what happened in the past.I think he still has to come to grips with his past in some respects though as from reading it I got the impression he was still trying to overcome the ghosts of the past.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan. This book has a very different feel from Tan's other novels.

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:54 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:I read his book Soul Survivor,but I think his memory of his younger days were probably overexeggerated.Face it when people get older they tend to exggerate
what happened in the past.I think he still has to come to grips with his past in some respects though as from reading it I got the impression he was still trying to overcome the ghosts of the past.

What struck you as overexaggerated? I only skimmed parts of that due to lack of interest, but nothing struck me as all that hard to believe.
uc pseudonym

Postby Alice » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Boaz Brown, by Michelle Stimpson
I haven't finished More Than Human yet, though; I've been jumping around a bit between books.

And no one dared
Alice

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner