What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:37 pm

Well I read the paper and then I read the paper from our old home town in Minnesota and there was a really interesting article about a hometown gal that was in the Army about her expierences at basic training.
mitsuki lover

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:58 pm

I started reading Lois Lowry's The Silent Boy today. It's based in history, which isn't really my thing, but hopefully she'll be able to keep me interested. I've always found her writing style to be so easy to read, and very captivating. And I loved Number the Stars, so maybe this'll be like that. :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:50 pm

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

This is my current light reading, and I am a fair number of pages into it. It was recommended to me by a friend, and though I intend to finish it I must admit this type of literature is not one I particularly enjoy. It is a very post-modern, stream of consciousness, random piece of writing. On occasion this succeeds in being mildly amusing or rarely funny, but this is not enough to make the book worthwhile, in my mind.

Don't Bet on the Prince by Jack David Zipes

Not class reading, but the type of thing a literature teacher would assign for a unit about the serious study of fairy tales (my professor lent it to me, actually). This is partially for enjoyment, partially as research for a project of my own. Though some of the content doesn't strike me as worthwhile, such as loose reinterpretations of certain fairy tales, some of the essays are interesting. While the author on occasion theorizes further than I feel the facts warrent, he makes solid points overall.
uc pseudonym

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:18 pm

I just started reading The Tomb by Paul Wilson. This is the first book of the Repairman Jack novels, which seems to be good start at being my new favorite series. I can not put this book down... very entertaining with a great pace, and has it's on unique detective/adventure/horror feel. So far, I love it!

This Repairman Jack is a very interesting character. Think of him as a Batman or V style character who likes to get things done on his own terms, but is more of a regular joe (no flashy powers, just connections and street-smarts) and charges a fee to 'fix' your problems (gotta' eat, eh?).
Link Antilles

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:49 pm

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and a biography about Nikola Tesla.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby yukinon » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:44 am

eep. I still need to read Rotk...
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:11 pm

The Wishsong of Shannara by Terry Brooks.
mitsuki lover

Postby JasonPratt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:51 am

Was able to finish my re-read through Marie Brennan's _Doppelganger_ whilst on the road this week, and am roughly halfway through her sequel _Warrior and Witch_ (which amuses me endlessly, since this is the first new book from her I've read in a while. And she finished out it out in fine form without me having anything to do with it at all. Not that this surprises me in the least. :) :) :) {ulta-super-happy proud beaming!})

I'll try to write up something more specific on them when I finish W&W (since it's a duology.)
this message has been brought to you by
Bittersea Publications
in the owner's spare time {g!}

"For all shall be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." -- Mark 9:49-50 (my candidate for most important overlooked verse in Scripture. {g})

"We must
be strong and brave--
our home
we've got to save!

We must make
the fighting cease,
so Mother Earth
will be at peace!

Through all the fire and the smoke,
we will never give up hope:
if we can win,
the Earth will survive--
we'll keep peace alive!" -- from the English lyrics to the closing theme of _Space Battleship Yamato_

"It _was_ harsh. Mirei didn't have anything that would soften it either." -- the surprisingly astute (I might even call it inspired {s!}) theological conclusion to Marie Brennan's _Doppleganger_ (Warner-Aspect, April 2006)
JasonPratt

Postby yukinon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:52 am

Starting the October issue of Newtype today.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:57 am

Just checked out The Doctor Wore Petticoats:Women Physicians In The Old West
by Chris Enss.
So turns out that there actually were women like Dr.Quinn,Medicine Woman.
mitsuki lover

Postby Calypsa » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:22 pm

Mistborn: Final Empire. I really liked it -- the magic system in there is one of the most unique I've seen in a loong time.
[font="Trebuchet MS"][color="Green"]formerly known as Dragonfly[/color][/font]
Calypsa

Postby chimera189 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:36 pm

Streams of Silver by R.A. Salvatore
Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Charles Spurgeon
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details. Albert Einstien
Luke 23:39-43; "And it also makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the streets of gold that knows more about grace than a thousand theologans. No one else would have given him a prayer, but in the end that is all he had, and in the end that is all it took." -Max Lucado

[url=myspace.com/chimera189]myspace[/url]
chimera189

Postby Technomancer » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:22 am

The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby SnoringFrog » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:49 am

I'm about to finish up a biography about Nikola Tesla, and then I'm working my way through the Lord of the Rings books.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:23 pm

I finished The Doctor Wore Petticoats.Anyone interested in the history of the Old
West and Women's Rights ought to check it out.
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:34 pm

i'm about halfway reading through, "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. it's a really good book. i'm glad i get some free time to read my own books since the book i'm reading for school right now is read 90% in class.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Kaori » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:20 pm

I just finished The Tempest for the first time and am rereading King Lear. Both are great, but then, most well-known Shakespeare plays are.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby yukinon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:36 pm

I loved King Lear. And I don't even like Shakespeare that much.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:46 pm

The Meaning of Jesus by Marcus Borg and NT Wright
Unexpected News: Reading the Bible with Third World Eyes by Robert Brown
“Rethinking the Resurrectionâ€
uc pseudonym

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:05 pm

[quote="uc pseudonym"]The Meaning of Jesus by Marcus Borg and NT Wright
Unexpected News: Reading the Bible with Third World Eyes by Robert Brown
“Rethinking the Resurrectionâ€
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:08 pm

Splitting my reading time between Thomas Harris's "Hannibal" and Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys".
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:06 pm

"Dude, Where's My Country" by Michael Moore

"Timetables of Medicine"

"The Anime Encyclopedia"

Three books at once...yeah, I have no life... :lol: :bang:
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby yukinon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:52 am

I used to do that, but then I decided I wanted to focus more on each book.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Icarus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:40 am

Rereading the Nightside series by Green, and starting Habits of the High Tech Heart.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby yukinon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:01 pm

I've been reading 2 Samuel for a class.

Reminds me how much I love the Old Testament.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Technomancer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:58 pm

At the moment I've just started Lords of the Lake: The Naval War on Lake Ontario, 1812-1814 by Robert Malcomson

Of all the struggles that took place along the border between the United States and the British provinces in Canada during the War of 1812, the one that lasted the longest was the battle for control of Lake Ontario. Because the armies depended on it for transportation and supply, control of the lake was a key element in American invasion attempts and the defensive actions of the British. In the end, unprecedented freshwater fleets had been built in Kingston and Sackets Harbour, domination had passed back and forth, but the contest had not been won decisively by either side. Lords of the Lake is the first full-length study of this aspect of the War of 1812. It tells the story of how the contest was waged from the days of the incompetent Provincial Marine squadron to the launch of the 104-gun ship St. Lawrence. The feats and failures of the opposing commodores, Isaac Chauncey and Sir James Yeo, are described, as are the roles played by key military and political leaders in shaping the course of the war.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:01 pm

Sounds interesting.Perhaps though the greatest naval victory won by the U.S. on the Great Lakes was when Benedict Arnold successfully defeated a British squadron
during the Revolution.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:28 am

Just started Inside Out by Larry Crabb and Puritan Richard Sibbe's The Bruised Reed. Both are incredibly promising both in substance and for my personal state.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Technomancer » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:25 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Sounds interesting.Perhaps though the greatest naval victory won by the U.S. on the Great Lakes was when Benedict Arnold successfully defeated a British squadron
during the Revolution.

Probably. Either that or the American victory that led to their control of Lake Erie during the war of 1812. Had the Provincial Marine been even minimally competent during the early days of the war, they probably could have ensured an earlier victory for the British. Anyways, the book is actually a Christmas present for my dad, although I ordered early to ensure that I'd have enough time to read it myself. ;)

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Clever!

I just checked out BORN FIGHTING:HOW THE SCOTS-IRISH SHAPED AMERICA
by James Webb the new Senator from Virginia.
mitsuki lover

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner