What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:40 pm

King Arthur:Dark Age Warrior And Mythic Hero by John Matthews.
He tries to create a cohesive view of Arthur and his Age by looking at the various legends and versions of the Arthurian Story and trying to find the reality beneath them.
mitsuki lover

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:53 pm

jon_jinn wrote:finished "To Kill a Mockingbird"
my class is now starting on, "The Crucible"

Ooo, The Crucible is good. :D Enjoy!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:13 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Ooo, The Crucible is good. :D Enjoy!

yeah. isn't it about the witch hunts and stuff. we discussed witches in my class today and we're gonna start on the book in like a week.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Animus Seed » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:21 pm

Finished Plato's Republic, now on to the Timaeus...

After Timaeus we get to study the Bible in my philosophy class! I can't wait!
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Kaori » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:19 pm

Holiness, by John Webster. This is a dogmatic theological treatise which places a strong emphasis on holiness as God's relation to his creatures, not just as something that separates God from humanity. Because of complaints I had heard from fellow students, I expected to dislike this book, but I was actually very favorably impressed by the soundness of Webster's reasoning.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Letters and Papers from Prison. There are quite a few profound thoughts here, though I can't agree with absolutely everything that Bonhoeffer says.

For my Shakespeare class I am currently rereading Hamlet and enjoying it even more the second time around.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Icarus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:36 pm

Birthright, by Knaak, and The Invader's Plan, by Hubbard.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby revolution » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:36 am

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
You dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than who is in the world." 1 John 4:4
revolution

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:52 am

Finally done with The Horse and His Boy... sheesh I've been so busy to get finishing all this stuff that I start to read! Well, now onto Prince Caspian. This time (unlike The Lion, The Witch), I can actually read the book and THEN see the movie, instead of vice versa^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:41 pm

Tvland To Go.This informative book gives you all sorts of lists,etc.concerning the classic shows that have or are now airing on the cable classic tv station.
Want to know what the top Canadians in American tv are?
Want to know who the grumpiest characters are?
Want to find out what happens when you use spell check on Eddy Haskell's name?
Want to find out what the #1 sitcom episode of all time is?
It's in there(for the record the #1 sitcome episode of all time is the Mary Tyler Moore episode"Chuckles Bites The Dust" the one where Chuckles the Clown gets stamped on by an elephant).
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:42 am

I've just finished Blenheim: The Battle For Europe by Charles Spencer, and am now reading Gulag: A History by Anne Applebaum.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby yukinon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:27 am

ooo, I love history. Have you ever read "Mischling:Second Degree"? (It's been a while, so I might be off on the spelling.)
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:35 am

A Treasury of Royal Scandals by Michael Farquhar.
Totally fun filled gossipy facts about royalty and the popes throughout the centuries that proves that royalty can be weird!
Some tidbits:
*France's Henri III was a transvestite
*George I and George II of England both perferred their mistresses to be on the hefty side.
*George III didn't chase women when he was sane,he only did it whenever he went crazy.
*Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor was a whipped puppy when it came to his marriage to Mrs.Simpson.
*Edward VI declared both his half sisters to be illegimate before he died.
*Catherine The Great's husband Tsar Paul III perferred playing with tin soldiers
to doing his duty.He also once decided to become a dog tamer.Catherine complained later of the stench it made in their room.
*Peter The Great had his son and heir Alexis beaten nearly to death for running
away from home.Alexis ran all the way to Naples.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:00 pm

yukinon wrote:ooo, I love history. Have you ever read "Mischling:Second Degree"? (It's been a while, so I might be off on the spelling.)

I'm afraid I haven't read that (or even heard of it until now), although it looks like it could be interesting. Your spelling by the way was correct, as I just ran it through a search on amazon.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:22 pm

The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin, Jr.

An obsure book to most, I'm sure, about the struggle of good and evil. Only it uses barnyard animals instead of people. And is allegorical. I'm totally addicted to it now as I was reluctant when I began.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby b0redx3 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:25 pm

Showdown, Ted Dekker.
It's freaking me out but i hope it'll give me as much thrill as did Thr3e. =)
"Hopeless romantics are the idealists, the sentimental dreamers, the imaginative, and the fanciful. They give the world its once-upon-a-times and happily-ever-afters. Hopeless romantics may have their feet on the ground, but their souls fly somewhere over the rainbow."
b0redx3

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:42 pm

Just finishing up A Treasury of Royal Scandals.As noted in the introduction royalty of the past was a lot more fun than today's because they sinned on a higher level which makes reading past scandals a lot more fun to read about.
Hmmm....someone ought to write a book on Presidential Scandals if they haven't already.
mitsuki lover

Postby JasonPratt » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin, Jr.

An obsure book to most, I'm sure, about the struggle of good and evil. Only it uses barnyard animals instead of people. And is allegorical. I'm totally addicted to it now as I was reluctant when I began.

And it features Chaunticleer. And, if I may say so, it rules pretty much completely... {g}

The sequel, for some reason, doesn't do so much for me though. Odd.
this message has been brought to you by
Bittersea Publications
in the owner's spare time {g!}

"For all shall be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." -- Mark 9:49-50 (my candidate for most important overlooked verse in Scripture. {g})

"We must
be strong and brave--
our home
we've got to save!

We must make
the fighting cease,
so Mother Earth
will be at peace!

Through all the fire and the smoke,
we will never give up hope:
if we can win,
the Earth will survive--
we'll keep peace alive!" -- from the English lyrics to the closing theme of _Space Battleship Yamato_

"It _was_ harsh. Mirei didn't have anything that would soften it either." -- the surprisingly astute (I might even call it inspired {s!}) theological conclusion to Marie Brennan's _Doppleganger_ (Warner-Aspect, April 2006)
JasonPratt

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:04 pm

JasonPratt wrote:And it features Chaunticleer. And, if I may say so, it rules pretty much completely... {g}

The sequel, for some reason, doesn't do so much for me though. Odd.

Yeah, with a full-time job, I still managed to read it in two days. I'm going to read the follow-up regardless, but I'll have to get around to buying it first. Excellent pacing, excellent characters and character development, disgusting/evil enemy, epic themes, humor - what a fantastic book!

Anyway, just finished The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin Jr., and as well Christ the Lord by Anne Rice.

The latter was interesting, as I am Protestant and the info she used mainly came from the Apocrypha, but I was thoroughly impressed with her research and historical accuracy in regards to setting, time period, culture, Hebrew traditions (passover, temple cleansing, sacrifice, etc). Writing from the first person perspective of Jesus was incredibly bold of her. I do take the book as fiction, of course, but I also take away a lot to think about after reading it.

Now, I'm reading:
Praying Backwards by Bryan Chapell
The Mortification of Sin by puritan John Owen
and
The Metaphysical Poets editor Helen Gardner
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:23 pm

we're reading 90% of the crucible in class so i finally have time to do some enjoyment reading. i'm starting on the next warriors: the new prophecy book.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:04 pm

There's a new biography on Ben Franklin at the library that I want to check out one of these days.
mitsuki lover

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:58 pm

While reading Prince Caspian at home (it's somethign I only seem to read at night before bed for whatever reason^^), I started on .hack//Another Birth vol. 1 at work.
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:05 pm

I finally finished DragonKnight, and now I'm working on Messenger, by Lois Lowry. I got 6 chapters in when I started reading it a few months ago, but I got distracted by DragonKnight. XD Messenger is really good so far, though. :D
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:34 pm

Benjamin Franklin:An American Life by Walter Isaacson just checked out of the library today.
One minor problem with the book no mention of Franklin's friend,colleague and
fellow member of the Philosophical Society David Rittenhouse. At least not in the
index.
mitsuki lover

Postby JasonPratt » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:48 am

Being sick recently really put a bloop on my reading schedule. I'm still where I was last time, though with my Mythopoeic periodical only a few pages out from being caught up on.

Since I'm going to be on the road Wed, Thurs, and possibly some of Friday, I'm planning to take that opportunity (when I'm not driving) to catch up on finishing Marie Brennan's duology. (_Doppleganger_ and _Warrior and Witch_.)

The Morey book is going about as well as can be expected (considering some of its logical weaknesses); lots of interesting and useful info anyway.

The new FT issue just arrived. Sigh. (Just when I think I'm caught up on the periodicals...)
this message has been brought to you by
Bittersea Publications
in the owner's spare time {g!}

"For all shall be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." -- Mark 9:49-50 (my candidate for most important overlooked verse in Scripture. {g})

"We must
be strong and brave--
our home
we've got to save!

We must make
the fighting cease,
so Mother Earth
will be at peace!

Through all the fire and the smoke,
we will never give up hope:
if we can win,
the Earth will survive--
we'll keep peace alive!" -- from the English lyrics to the closing theme of _Space Battleship Yamato_

"It _was_ harsh. Mirei didn't have anything that would soften it either." -- the surprisingly astute (I might even call it inspired {s!}) theological conclusion to Marie Brennan's _Doppleganger_ (Warner-Aspect, April 2006)
JasonPratt

Postby Needle Noggin » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:27 pm

I'm reading The Dice Man written by Luke Rhinehart. It's quite good, and I recommend it.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby DaughterOfZion » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:35 pm

Basilish it by n.b. browne i think.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 pm

Finished reading Messenger today. I loved it, for the most part, though...

[SPOILER]I wish that she had made it longer! There were so many questions that I felt were unanswered at the end...Like, did Matty die? I assume he did (as the way she described things made it definitely seem like he was dying), but she never quite said it out-right. I also wish she had gone into a little more depth with the whole trading issue, and the man with the book who would come for Trade Market. I mean, I got that the people would actually trade away part of themselves or their families, but still, what of the man? Who was he? And how could he take that part of them away? I guess that was just supposed to be assumed, but...I dunno, that part interested me, and I wanted to know what exactly was going on. XD

Another thing I wish she had done was developed Leader more. Ok, so yeah, we got lots of character development with Jonas in The Giver, but stiiiill. Leader was cool; I would be fine with her writing a whole book about him. XD And she had hinted at some sort of potential relationship with Leader and Kira, but that...never really went anywhere, other than using their gifts together. XD So while I really enjoyed the book a lot, I felt like it could have used several more chapters and an Epilogue to help wrap things up a bit more.[/SPOILER]

Really good book though, still. I plan to start Lois Lowry's The Silent Boy next. :D

Radical Dreamer

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:25 pm

i'm reading The Divide right now for enjoyment.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby samuraidragon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:00 am

I'm reading my biology book, which is all I seem to have time for anymore :(
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:29 am

I'm currently reading CCA threads.

After that I'll read a bunch of info on christmas music/programs. I need to find something to do asap.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner