June 8, 2009

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

June 8, 2009

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:44 am

Finding Time For God

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God."
Psalm 42:1

David McLaughlan writes:
How do you fit everything you are supposed to do into the day? Well, with all the pressures and expectations of modern life, sometimes you just can’t. Often we concentrate on the things that need immediate attention or provide immediate results. And what gets left out?

Well, usually it’s the intangibles that get put aside. We can think about our souls later. So, you don’t have time to talk to God. Well, you tell yourself He’s probably busy too. You’ll get to it some other day.

And the days slip away.

The other day my twenty year old step-daughter was babysitting for us and had decided to stay over. When I was getting ready for bed I noticed she had left a paperback beside the toothbrushes. She was in her room by this time and, rather than go in myself, I asked my wife if she would take it in case it was wanted for bedtime reading.

Then my wife explained (as she so often has to do.)

All of her children had been brought up to spend a full two minutes brushing their teeth in the morning. A succession of funny, plastic egg timers had helped with this habit. Being a big girl now her daughter didn’t need an egg timer. Instead she read from a book of devotions each morning as she brushed her teeth.

Wow! I couldn’t imagine that. “How do you do that?â€
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby ADXC » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:46 am

Wow, Doc. I really needed to hear this one. Thanks!

Also here's some scripture that talks about this very thing.
Luke 10:38-42

We need to realize that we will never finish all of our daily responsibilities, because each day adds more and more. We need to make time for the Lord because it is truly a blessed and priviledged thing.
ADXC

Return to Devotional Readings