[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
May 1, 2009 - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

May 1, 2009

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 1, 2009

Postby Rev. Doc » Fri May 01, 2009 8:29 am

God Will Send The Ravens

"Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah: "Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. You will drink from the brook, and I have ordered the ravens to feed you there." So he did what the Lord had told him. He went to the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan, and stayed there. The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook."
I Kings 17:2-6

Frank Hearne writes:

I am a small businessman, and I can't help but worry over the state of the economy today: "What if all the work I'm doing now gets finished and no new clients call me? What if clients do not pay?" I think, among other worries, "What if... What if...?" I see others losing their jobs and livelihood, and I worry, worry, worry.

But I must look back at Elijah and remember that I am, and we are all, every one of us, just like him -- all the time, whatever the economic conditions, good or bad. We are all fed by ravens. We are all completely dependent on God for everything in our lives. Those clients call me or walk in the door of any business just like the ravens came over the hill with bread and meat to feed Elijah each day. I am fed by ravens every day. There are no effective "business plans". There are no meaningful "economic stimulus programs" -- and there never were -- throughout human history.

We may mean well in planning, and certainly, we should help as many others as we can. But as to each of us individually, no matter what position we are in, it can all disappear in an instant. That business can dry up; that grant can end; that job can disappear; the economy can tank; poor health can rob us at any time of the ability to care for ourselves. This is true today, and it was also true when we thought, "The times are good." We just forget this essential fact more easily when we believe that things are going well. Being self-reliant is a good character trait, but we can never save ourselves. Our reliance on our own abilities or on another's charity is always, to some extent, an illusion.

Although I must work hard to build my business and support my family, and everyone must work hard to the best of our ability, if I am in God's will, as Elijah was, in the long run, one way or another, God will care for me and my family as He so chooses. If we are obedient, He will care for us. He will provide our daily bread. All that we have comes from Him each day of our lives and always will. For that, we must be truly thankful.

"Every now and again, Our Lord lets us see what we would be like if it were not for Himself; it is a justification of what He said - "Without Me you can do nothing." That is why the bedrock of Christianity is personal, passionate devotion to the Lord Jesus."
~Oswald Chambers
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sun May 03, 2009 8:23 pm

Indeed, our Lord will provide for our needs if we keep doing His will. Thank you for that reminder. ^_^

Incidentally, it's good to see you posting your devotionals here again, Rev. Doc. I haven't been looking or posting much here on CAA any more, but I'll always come look at your devotionals. :) Out of curiosity, do you ever listen to John MacArthur's sermons? Just wondering. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Return to Devotional Readings