Luke Study Gospel

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Luke Study Gospel

Postby rocklobster » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 pm

I think I should start by telling you a little bit about St. Luke.
An interesting thing to point out is that Luke was not one of the original 12 apostles. He was a Gentile convert who lived in Greece, most likely Antioch.
He was a doctor and is mentioned in both Colossians 4:14 and Romans 16:21 (where he is called Lucius). He accompanied Paul on his second and third missionary journeys and was imprisoned with him in Rome. He lived to be 84. He also wrote the Acts of the Apostles.
-----------
Chapter I: The annunciations of the births of John the Baptist and Jesus
The thing that has always puzzled me about the Virgin Mary and her cousin Elizabeth is how accepting they are of God's will. Elizabeth simply says "This is what the Lord has done for me when he looked favorably on me and took away the disgrace I have endured among my people." (Luke 1:25) Mary doesn't hesitate either. (She does ask how the miracle will occur, but that's not hestitation. She merely says "Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be done with me according to your Word." (Lk 1:38)
Their devotion has always made me think. Do you realize that Gabriel wasn't just announcing Christ's birth? He was actually giving Mary the choice to participate in God's plan! Can you imagine what our world would've been like if she refused?:wow!: And Mary certainly humble about her miracle. She puts it best in what is referred to as her Magnificant:
My soul magnifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of His servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me
and holy is His Name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones
and lifted up the lowly;
He has filled the hungry with good things
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants forever (Lk 1:46-55)
Prayer:
Dear Lord, please give us the grace so that we, too, may be as obedient as Mary and Elizabeth were to you.
In Jesus's name we pray, Amen.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:26 am

You make an interesting point...

God always gives us free will and by that we have a choice. What would our world look like if Mary had chosen to say no "something that by all human perspective wouldn't be hard to conceive" .

And if that happened, then when would Jesus have come?

There is a book called Eli by Bill Myers that is a very good modern depiction of Jesus ...if you ever get the chance to read it..I like it
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby rocklobster » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Ever read the Joshua books? Those are pretty cool too. I might look into that Eli one, once my local library down the street is back online. They've be AWOL since Hurricane Gustav hit.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter II: Jesus's Birth, Presentation, and Childhood

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:13 am

I once had a dream in which my guardian angel took me to see Jesus being born. After He was born, Mary let everyone hold the Holy Infant (as "Silent Night" calls him.) When my turn came, I refused. Surely a lowly sinner such as I was unworthy of such an honor. But my guardian angel handed Him to me and helped me to hold Him properly (those of you who have ever held babies know that there's a special way to hold the baby so that you support the head) and said, "That's the whole point, my child."
There is a parable that a man was sentenced to be hanged. His mother pleaded with the judge for mercy.
The judge replied, "Your son isn't worthy of mercy."
The mother said, "That's why it's called mercy."
My friends, we are all sinners who are unworthy of God's mercy and love. We aren't even worthy of Christ's sacrifice. By all rights, we should be wiped off the face of the Earth with another catastrophic flood like when Noah had to build the Ark. Yet God will not give us what we truly deserve. That is what His mercy, love, and sacrifice are all about.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, we thank you for your unconditional love and sacrifice that we did not deserve. Amen.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:16 pm

Someone said to me recently:

"God loves us regardless. It isn't that we deserve it, that we do anything worthy of it..or even that we are lovely. He loves us just because he made us."

This statement rocked me to the core
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

Kunoichi

Postby Evran » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:11 pm

Kunoichi (post: 1261536) wrote:Someone said to me recently:

"God loves us regardless. It isn't that we deserve it, that we do anything worthy of it..or even that we are lovely. He loves us just because he made us."

This statement rocked me to the core

Reading that reminded me of my brother, who was struggling with a heavy drug addiction for a good four or five years (he has changed his life around since then :thumb:). Not once did I find myself hating him for that, I loved him all the same, even when what he was doing was hurting himself, and everyone around him. That was his choice, to do that at that point in his life.

Had he even gone so far down that path that he had died, I would not have hated him, I still would have loved him all the same.

If a wretch like me can unconditionally love someone that is choosing a life of self destruction, then how much more must the Lord love us? I think people underestimate that fact. Even at our absolute worst, the Lord still loves us more deeply than we can understand.

That realization rocked me to the core as well.
Evran

Postby Kunoichi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Evran (post: 1261614) wrote:Reading that reminded me of my brother, who was struggling with a heavy drug addiction for a good four or five years (he has changed his life around since then :thumb:). Not once did I find myself hating him for that, I loved him all the same, even when what he was doing was hurting himself, and everyone around him. That was his choice, to do that at that point in his life.

Had he even gone so far down that path that he had died, I would not have hated him, I still would have loved him all the same.

If a wretch like me can unconditionally love someone that is choosing a life of self destruction, then how much more must the Lord love us? I think people underestimate that fact. Even at our absolute worst, the Lord still loves us more deeply than we can understand.

That realization rocked me to the core as well.

wow i'm glad your brother is ok ^_^

I think that ppl forget that we are called to love ALL with unconditional love..this was hard for me (and I do sometimes fail at it) but I think that when we realize that everyone is human and are just as messed up as we are (yes even serial killers and what not) then it becomes easier.

Don't get me wrong..ppl do some messed up things and I don't condone it but God doesn't say we are to like the actions (after all Jesus yelled at the extortioners and manipulators of his time) but we are asked to love others simply because God made them. He loves them not what they do..but he loves them

Kunoichi

Chapter III: The Ministry of John the Baptist

Postby rocklobster » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:08 am

John the Baptist has been called Christ's Herald. What I've always liked most about him is his humility. He even thought he was unworthy to tie Jesus's sandals, even though they're both second cousins.
We are also called to be like John the Baptist. I don't mean we have to dress up in camel shirts and eat locusts (eww!:grin:). I mean we, too, are Christ's heralds. There are two ways we can accomplish this task. One way is what I am doing here. True, a good portion of this site's users are Christian. But what about the unsaved readers of this site? They need Christ's message, too.
The second way is by our actions. There is a saying: "I may be the only Christ someone sees." (sometimes "Christ" is replaced with "Bible". Either way works.) This is a mantra all Christians should adopt. Gandhi once said "[Christianity is] a great idea. They ought to try it." (ouch) He was only half right. Christianity has been tried, and we have countless saints to prove it. As St. James put it:
But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. (James 1:22)
Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us to remember that, like John the Baptist, we are also your heralds.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:39 am

rocklobster (post: 1262335) wrote:John the Baptist has been called Christ's Herald. What I've always liked most about him is his humility. He even thought he was unworthy to tie Jesus's sandals, even though they're both second cousins.
We are also called to be like John the Baptist. I don't mean we have to dress up in camel shirts and eat locusts (eww!:grin:). I mean we, too, are Christ's heralds. There are two ways we can accomplish this task. One way is what I am doing here. True, a good portion of this site's users are Christian. But what about the unsaved readers of this site? They need Christ's message, too.
The second way is by our actions. There is a saying: "I may be the only Christ someone sees." (sometimes "Christ" is replaced with "Bible". Either way works.) This is a mantra all Christians should adopt. Gandhi once said "[Christianity is] a great idea. They ought to try it." (ouch) He was only half right. Christianity has been tried, and we have countless saints to prove it. As St. James put it:
But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. (James 1:22)
Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us to remember that, like John the Baptist, we are also your heralds.

Well what i think is interesting about John the Baptist is that he did what he was called to do. Some of us feel that the only way we CAN reach people is doing ministry but that isn't the case. We are all unique and therefore called to do unique tasks (which I find most exciting...to see what ppl will do and come up with).

Also that John wasn't afraid to do something out of the ordinary. I mean he wore camel hair and ate locusts...not exactly usual.

I think that he set a good example, as you say rock, in humility. He knew who he was in comparison with Jesus....later it states that John told his disciples that Jesus must become greater.

Kunoichi

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 am

I have updated the Luke Study Gospel. This time, I talk about the Temptation in the Desert. BTW, have you read: The Case For Christ?"
by Lee Stroblel? I highly recommend you do so. It tells you of all the evidence for Christ. It was writtenby a former atheist. (The evidence he found made him convert>)

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter IV: The Tempation in the Desert

Postby rocklobster » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 am

Note: Please disregard the previous post. It was done by someone else who was taking over from me and a mistake was made. This is the real post.
The temptaion in the desrt (Luke 4:1-13) always reminds me of a line from one of Shakespeare's plays: "The Devil uses Scripture to suit his own purpose." That's exactly what Lucifer is doing here. He tempts Jesus and uses Scripture to "justify" each temptaion. But because Jesus is the "Living Word" (John 1:1)", He is even more adept at rebutting each temptation by turning this tactic against Lucifer.
The temptation in the desert has two purposes. First, it assuages us by showing that Jesus is more powerful than Lucifer. Second, it warns us that Lucifer will use the same tactic on us. It's called false doctrine. While true doctrine always leads to salvation, false doctrine will never lead to anything except disaster. False doctrine "justified" the Crusades, the Salem Witch Trials, not to mention countless other examples. We, too, should be vigilant against it.
Prayer: God, please send your Holy Spirit to inspire us to be vigilant against false doctrine.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:57 am

I think another thing to note is "half-truth's" which may be similar to the false doctrine Rock was talking about, that are out there. For instance, Lucifer tells Jesus he can make these stones into bread (mind you he hasn't eaten for 40 days so i'm sure he was hungry) and while that is true...it also would take away from what God wanted Jesus to accomplish on this earth.

We are called to fight with truths and with God's words because Satan knows our weaknesses more than anyone and that is what he uses against us. So if we fight with just our own mind and intellect we are going to fail so I think that is also what God is trying to show...even Jesus, who was fully God and fully man, depended on the Word of Truth versus his "own" words in a sense. Even though he could have destroyed Satan right there, he didn't and allowed it so we could learn as well.

I wonder if Satan truly knew who he was up against. I don't think he did.

Kunoichi

Chapter 5: Jesus calls his first four apostles and begins his mission

Postby rocklobster » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Is it just me or does it seem too easy for Jesus to convince the apostles to follow him? My experience with people has told me that many people aren't that easy to convince. I mean, if Jesus came up to you and said "Follow me,"--be honest--would you? No, I think most of us might be more hesitant.
But we shouldn't dwell on that. The fact is that Jesus chose them. (And we know he didn't care about public opinion, because otherwise Matthew wouldn't have been one of them. A Jewish tax collector wasn't exactly a popular person in those times) And Jesus made the right choice with most of them. With the exceptionof Judas, all of them are excellent role models for the faith. Out of the eleven faithful apostles, only one did not become a martyr (John the Evangelist).
My point is that, like the apostles, we too were chosen by Jesus to be his followers. We should let their examples inspire us.
Prayer: Jesus, thank you for choosing us to be your disciples.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:11 pm

I have wondered that question before but...I think that the apostles probably knew who Jesus was if they were in the same area (or at least its possible). I mean they wouldn't have known his deity of course but its possible that they realized that one, he was a rabbi and two, that he was someone who commanded authority.

Kunoichi

Postby shiroineko » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:22 pm

When Jesus spoke, he radiated authority; there is power in His presence. I'm sure they felt drawn by this as well. that's something I wonder about too, Kunoichi, whether or not the apostles knew who He was beforehand...

They really are excellent role models....I never stopped to realize the faith and courage that they had in going with someone that simply said "follow me." It's amazing...
shiroineko

Chapter VI: The Serm on on the Plain

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:37 pm

The Sermon on the Plain parallels the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew's and Mark's gospels. In this Sermon, Jesus lists all of God's blessings. It's easy to fall into despair and neglect these blessings. But God blesses us, even when we don't sense it.
I once saw a Peanuts comic striop between Linus and Lucy that illustrated this. I've posted the dialog below:
Lucy: Phooey
Linus: What's the matter?
Lucy. My life is a drag. I'm completely fed up. I've never felt so low in my life.
Linus: When you're in a mood like this, you should try to think of things you have to be thankful for. In other words, count your blessings.
Lucy: HA! That's a good one! I've never had anything, and I never will have anything! I don't get half the breaks that other people do. Nothing goes right for me. And you talk about counting blessings! You talk about being thankful! What do I have to be thankful for?
Linus: Well for one thing, you have a little brother who loves you.
Lucy (breaks down and cries while hugging Linus)
Linus: Every now and then I say the right thing.
We are all blessed. We are alive. We have a sun that is just the right distance to provide life (Not to mention the fact that absorbing its warmth gives us vitamin D.) We have plants that provide oxygen for us to breathe. And of course, we have the blessing of Jesus's sacrifice for our sins. I could go on and on naming blessings, but I'd never have enough room!
Prayer: Thank you, God, for all your blessings.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter VII: Various Miracles

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:34 am

Ever since Moses tried to set the Jews gree by showing God's power, people have always tried to disprove miracles (and probably even before that) This was done even when Jesus was alive.
In his book Napalm and Silly Putty, George Carlin conducts a mock interview with Jesus and presents him as a charlatan, a con artist. He even suggests that the Ascension was a mere parlor trick!
Why do people still refuse to believe in Jesus? One reason I guess is the fact that, like any legitimate religion, Christianity requires action, not just belief. If you just believe, that makes you lukewarm, and being lukewarm makes God want to vomit. (Rev 3:15)
But Jesus had to perform miracles. Otherwise, we wouldn't believe in Him and he wouldn't have fulfilled any of the prophecies. And miracles still happen today. If you don't believe me, look in a mirror. You are a miracle.
Prayer: Thank you, Jesus, for your miracles.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter VIII: The Parable of the Sower

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:59 am

Seeds are truly one of God's greatest mysteries. It's astonishing that something so tiny can grow into something several times larger than itself.
But on their own, seeds are helpless. They need water, sunlight, and good soil to grow. Otherwise, they die.
Faith is like a seed. It needs nourishment to thrive. Faith is one of God's greatest gifts, in concordance with love and hope (1 Cor 13:1-13). Without all three, we are not able to survive. And all three can become even stronger.
But the devil will use his means to test our faith and choke it before it grows. That must be safeguarded. Luckily, we aren't in this alone. We have friends on Earth and in Heaven to help protect and nurture our faith.
(Note: This time, the weekly prayer comes from my Bible)
Prayer: God, Master Gardener, extend Your Hands to help me plant this tiny seed of faith. Promide me with fertile ground--the rich, moist soil of an open heart. Help me cultivate this seed as Your word within me begins to take root and grow.
Lord, this seed needs the Light of Christ to warm it, and your Holy Spirit to quench its thirst. Gather a faith community to help me tend my garden and remove any rocks and weeks that might prevent Your Word from taking root in me.
A tiny seed is a wondrous creation because it does not give much indication of the life within it. Master Gardener, only You know what kind of plant will sprout from this humble beginning. Let the seed of my faith blossom and bear much fruit for Your Reign.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter IX: The Transfiguration

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:36 am

The Transfiguration is actually a representation of the Holy Trinity. I like how Peter is so caught up in the moment that he wants to pitch tents for Elijah and Moses.
We can try all we like, but we will never fully understand God in our lifetime. We are only finite beings. As Father John Corapi puts it, God is "mystery personified". I can accept that God is three in one: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. But do I understand it? Please! I'd have an easier time trying to understand algebraic equations! (And I had to take algebra three times) I will not be able to understand God until I am fully united to His Presence in Heaven. (And I pray that I get there:angel:) And that is true of all of us.
Prayer: God, I accept the fact that I am not supposed to understand everything. Thank you for allowing me to live in Your Presence.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Ya know rock, I never even got that you were updating the thread!! (I never checked the dates!)

so i will go back and read the chapters and post! sO SORRY! :(

Kunoichi

Postby shiroineko » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:01 pm

rocklobster...your post about the parable of the sower brought to mind where Jesus explains having faith as a mustard seed (I've been going crazy for half an hour trying to find this verse - anyone know where it is?). I don't think I ever quite understood that verse and what it really means to have faith like a mustard seed. If anyone would like to share their thoughts on this, that would be wonderful :)
shiroineko

Chapter X: The Mission of the Seventy

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:25 am

shiroineko (post: 1272258) wrote:rocklobster...your post about the parable of the sower brought to mind where Jesus explains having faith as a mustard seed (I've been going crazy for half an hour trying to find this verse - anyone know where it is?). I don't think I ever quite understood that verse and what it really means to have faith like a mustard seed. If anyone would like to share their thoughts on this, that would be wonderful :)

shiroi, what it means is that even a little faith can be a wonderful thing. The reason Jesus chose a mustard seed is that those seeds are VERY tiny.
anyway, onto this week's post:
----------------
The Mission of the Seventy is one event I would love to have been a part of. I mean, who wouldn't want the ability to dispel demons?
Actually, we humans have a slight problem: we think we are powerless against evil. That's not even close to the truth. I believe that evil is only as powerful as you let it be. The devil's battle is already lost. I mean, even Jesus's name scares him:
Philippians 2:9-10 wrote:Therefore God also highly exalted (Jesus) and gave Him the name that is above every name so that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bend, in Heaven and on earth, and under the earth

See that? Every time you say Jesus's name, even Satan and his demons have to kneel! (I wouldn't be surprised if that includes written or typed versions of Jesus's name) Now that, brothers and sisters, is power!
Prayer: Jesus, thank you for the power of Your very Name.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:17 am

Shiroi,

i think that is found in Matthew for that verse (sorry don't know the exact one either)

Rock:

I think we do underestimate our power, but we can also overestimate our power and need the Holy Spirits backing :) (remember the verse about the religious leaders who tried to cast out a demon in Jesus name whom Paul preached? they were beat out the door lol

Kunoichi

Chapter XI: The Our Father Prayer

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:54 am

I'm willing to bet that all of you have probably not even wondered why Christianity has only one God. After all, the First Commandment clearly states that we are to only worship one God. (Exodus 20:2) St. Thomas Aquinas came up with a great answer to this question: the reason is that God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. "Omni" is a prefix that means all. If God is all these things, there is simply no room for other gods. They too would need the same qualities.
The pagan religion had a different view of what a god is. Even the Greeks and the Norse, who certainly did imagine gods and goddesses with human traits (and failings), shared this. To the pagans, humans are little more than pawns that must appease the gods out of fear. They must constantly make sacrifices. In some cases, some cultures even sacrificed their own children.
But Christians have a more personal relationship. We are God's sons and daughters; we are Jesus's brothers and sisters. It's what Lee Strobel calls in The Case For Christ the "done principle". Instead, we freely offer our lives out of gratitude, not fear. This is a great blessing.
Prayer: Our Father, thank you for adopting us as your children.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby shiroineko » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:10 pm

I haven't studied too much into Greek and Norse religion...but it's interesting and sad how they feel they need to make constant sacrifices in order to make up for their flaws as human beings. We were flawed since the fall of Adam and Eve, and God knew that. Our one true God sent Jesus to be the ultimate sacrifice for us. I can sleep at night knowing that my sins are atoned for and that God is a forgiving and loving Father to us who looks at us not only as His most prized creations, but as His children as well. It's sad how some of these cultures get caught up in the lie of having to appease false gods in order to gain "brownie points" or some enlightenment to get to heaven, or something.. :/

Rocklobster, I've never read The Case for Christ but was recommended it. Did you like it? Did you read any of Lee Strobel's other books?

oh I found that mustard seed verse - it was Matthew 17:20 ^_^;;
shiroineko

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:48 pm

sn, that is the only book by him I've read. It's very informative. I never questioned my faith, but found it an interesting read anyway.
-----------------
Greed and anxiety are two traps that the devil can ensnare us with.
Greed is one of the seven deadly sins. It can become like an addiction, just ask any gambler. But any pleasure we get out of sinning is false. Only God can provide true pleasure.
Anxiety is different because it's not a sin like greed. It's unproductive to be anxious all the time, especially since it leads to despair. Father John Corapi gave some excellent advice about anxiety: "Leave the past to God's forgiveness and leave the future to God's providence. Live in the present. It's God's gift to us. That's why it's called 'the present.'"
Prayer: God help me to remember that you are in control of the future, so I have nothing to fear.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter XIII: The Barren Fig Tree

Postby rocklobster » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:32 am

One reason Jesus was hated in his lifetime was that He never minced words. His message of repentance was clearly presented.
While we don't have to make sacrifices, we still have to show our faith. OUr good works are the evidence of our salvation, not the cause. This is the point of the parable of the barren fig tree. That God repeatedly gives us the chance to show our faith in action. It is up to us to take those opportunities.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, help me to show that I am a faithful Christian.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter XIV: The Parable of the Great Dinner

Postby rocklobster » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:16 am

side note: Sorry I'm a week late, I had trouble locating the notebook I use for this.
I think it's only natural to wonder what Heaven must be like. Mercy Me recorded a great song about it called "Imagine", which says that we cannot even begin to contemplate the immeasureable joy of Heaven. We can only hope to get there.
Does Heaven even exist? No one really knows. In the movie Leap of Faith, Steve Martin muses that "Death's a breeze. Ever hear of anyone coming back to complain?" I like to think that Heaven exists because then life would be the cruelest joke ever pulled. But do I expect to get there? No, but I pray and strive for it, and in the end, that is really all we can do.
Prayer: Jesus, be my comfort in my journey toward that greatest of prizes: Heaven itself.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter XV: The Prodigal Son

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:35 am

Note: This is kind of late. I had writer's block.
The Prodigal Son s my favorite parable. I like the story because it is an excellent illustration of God's limitless and unconditional love. The story tels us that it doesn't matter how much of a screw-up you are; God loves you anway. It means there may even be people in Heaven who may not seem like they belong there. That is very reassuring.
Prayer: God, I accept your love. Thank you for loving me in spite of my flaws.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Chapter XVI: The Rich Man and Lazarus

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Luke's gospel paints a picture of Jesus as someone who has a special compasion for the poor. The parable of the rich man and Lazarus is a good example of this compassion.
The part that always jumps out at me is this:
Luke 16:31 wrote:If they do not listen to Moses and the prophets neither will they be convinced if someone rises from the dead"

You have to wonder when the world is going to wise up and start listening. Our world has always ignored the voices of the prophets, except for a few of us. It's a good thing we have a patient Father in Heaven.
Prayer: God, I will try harder to listen to your words.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Next

Return to Devotional Readings