Luke Study Gospel

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Postby Paxdroca » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:02 am

Well, Luke is a very interesting place to go for a brief and detailed description of Jesus' birth. I personally like Mary in Luke: She could of refused, but birthed him, anyway, because it was a calling from God to bring Jesus into the world of Men, where sin and corruption were hand in hand. He was going to save us all, and that's why Mary chose to take this very crucial step. It must have been excruciatingly painful and almost killed her, but nonetheless, it was important for God to truly save us all.
"If you can't fit it, edIT!" Proud member of MOES!

"Fear is the mind killer.
"Fear is like little death that brings total obliteration.
"I will face my fear.
"I will permit it to pass over and through me.
"I WILL NOT FEAR."
- Kaishi, Way of the Shinobi

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
- Jesus.
Jesus loves RPers, and so should you.
Paxdroca

Chapter XVII: Warnings About the Future

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:47 am

The following years all have something in common: 200, 838, 100, 1260, 1533, 1844, 1914, and 1988. They are all years that the world was predicted to end. That's right, according to that, we've missed Armageddon 8 times! I know of one other year that's supposed to be the end of the world: 2012, the year the Mayan Calendar is supposed to end. I predict "nothing" will happen then, too.
I think it's absolutely hilarious that people keep predicting when the world will end. It's even been the topic of quite a few movies and books. Perhaps the most funniest, IMHO, is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In that book, the only species that knows of the impending doom are dolphins (the second-most intelligent beings on earth. The first is lab mice) I'll let you know if I hear of any dolphins singing of impending doom.
We aren't supposed to know when the world is going to end. And I'm happy with that. You know why? Because I know how the Bible ends--we win!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby shiroineko » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Paxdroca, after reading about Mary in Luke and watching The Nativity Story, I can't imagine what Mary went through in those times while carrying Jesus in her womb. She had tremendous faith and courage.

Rocklobster...I never realized the Mayan calendar is supposed to end in 2012 (no wonder why I've been hearing that year pop up so much with end times talk...wow). What is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Is it fiction or written from someone's viewpoint of something?

I sometimes wonder when Armageddon will occur, but I try not to focus too much on that - I'm just looking forward to being with God in heaven...my pastor always comments with a smile how awesome it'd be to cheat death though and have the Rapture occur in our lifetime. :)
shiroineko

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:53 am

Hi all,

I have been absent due to my own struggles (not faith wise but i have a lot of medical and mental health issues so trying to deal with it).

Anyways,

yes Mary gives me courage because she really had to struggle in that society (can you imagine the gossip!?) I can imagine she questioned what was going on many times. Not only that but what if she had given Jesus up to adoption/orphaned. Not that he wouldn't have fulfilled things but...what blessings Mary would have missed!!!

In reference to the end times, there are certaintly signs, but only God knows when it will occur. Just as we do not know when we will face death, neither does the world. And as rocklobster said, we know what happens: God wins!

But we should remember that we need to share with people about Jesus, this is important as God is keeping the world alive for them, not for His own sake. He is keeping it going for our sake and for those who are yet to know him.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby shiroineko » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Kunoichi,

about Mary...lol that's what I was thinking too, she probably faced loads of gossip.

yes we really do need to do everything we can to win souls, especially in these times... I really needed to be reminded about sharing about Jesus with people more, I have not been very good at that lately at all, I have been so self-absorbed with all of my own drama that I forget what really matters most. we have an outreach ministry in my church...I used to go soul-winning here and there over the summer but haven't done it in so long...I think God's nudging me to get involved again.

thank you for that post :)
shiroineko

Chapter XVIII: The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:28 pm

I've caught myself acting like the Pharisee in this parable. My dad has constantly hired people who've not been the best. Most of them have often proven not to be the most punctual, but I show up all the time. However, the only reason I can do that is that I still live with my parents. I have to in order to support my family. That doesn't make me any better than those others. I'm still a sinner, too. So how can I be better? I have my faults, just like they do. Jesus wants us to be his humble servants. I must strive to be more humble.
Prayer: Jesus, help me to realize that I am not better than anyone because I haven't done bad things that others have.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:20 pm

What you said in your last post hit something for me rock.

You said "I"m still a sinner, too." And this is out of no condemnation to you so please just look at this as me trying to use an example to get my own thoughts out. Is what made you think you were not?

Its what I find interesting is that we usually define "being saved" as a past tense thing. Meaning, we repented and turned to God and acknowledged him as savior...once. So that means we are all okie dokie, its ok if we just do "our best" and we "follow the rules" then we are fine cuz we accepted Him as our Savior.

But I'm not entirely so sure that this is what the Scripture really refers too.

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3: 16 NIV)

In this verse which is one, even "non christians" know, it says that whoever believes...not believed..not will believe...but believes as in present tense. not past, not future, present. I think this is significant. We choose every day whether we are really loving Him, following Him, obeying Him etc etc etc. Its a constant choice.

Now does that mean we will make mistakes and mess up? You better believe it! But we keep making that choice that even in our mistake, we still say "ok, I trust that even in my mistake you'll help me keep on building my relationship with you and that you still want a relationship with me." God is going to always say "yes" to this. ALWAYS. Doesn't matter what the "mess up" is or for how long the "mess ups" occurred.

I just think this is huge and fantastic and so wonderful! You see....I believe there are those who think that just cuz they said one prayer (however meaningful) one time...it means that now as long as they "look religious" and "follow the rules" that they have chosen God and that they want a relationship with Him.

Its like a kid saying to their mom or dad, "look i really really really love you. I just want to have this great relationship with you!" And the mom or dad is thinking, that is great! That is fantastic! And the next day the kid is still saying this...but starts to go hang out with his friends a little bit. Well the parent thinks, ok he isn't really building this relationship with me but I love him anyways. And the kid starts hanging out withi his friends more and more, not even saying "I love you" or even saying "hi" to the parent anymore. Once in a while, the parent will here teh child..when they want something or when they are angry they don't get their way. Or when they make a mess of things and want their parent to "fix it all".

what would the parent think? Would they believe at this point, even though they never ever give up trying to get the kid to realize how much they loved and wanted the kid...do you think the parent would think that their kid really loved them and wanted to be with them? Or course not. Its obvious. At the same time, even though the kid is choosing to not be with teh parent, what do you hear when he/she opens the mouth? "well my mom/dad doesn't love me. That's why i do this, and this, etc. etc." You can't have a relationship with someone that is good and healthy if you don't spend time with that person and the same that is in humans goes for God. (now obviously i'm not asking you to look at this entirely from a human perspective because for some of us..we may love our parents but doesn't mean we have a close relationship with them even if we "see' them alot and vice versa, don't have to visit with the parent physically alot ot have a close relationship. But the point is the time, energy and love that is spent on both sides. God obviously wants us and loves us enough to send His Son to die...how much more are we waiting for Him to show us until we are convinced?)

However, God...as our loving parent (stereotypical gender aside)...says to us every day, "Come. I want to be with you. I want that relationship with you. I want to make your life so beautiful." It is "us" who gets in the way. It is the "I' who stops that..it isn't God.

And I know i have done a tangent on this but I just felt like I had to type this. I just think that its so cool that God honors our choices even if we choose not to want a relationship with him, even though it hurts him...he still loves us soooooo much that He is willing to lose his very child, rather than let the child lose freedom and free will and become a robot. It is magnificent, it is terrible (especially in our human understanding) but Praise God He isn't a evil tyrant. but a loving loving Person who in so many ways wishes to know us.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

Kunoichi

Chapter XIX: The Parable of the Ten Pounds

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:17 pm

Why are superheroes so popular? I think one reason is that they represent something in us all: the desire to become more than we are.
Spider-man's mantra of "With great power comes great responsibility" (which he disobeyed a couple years ago in the "One More Day" storyline) actually mirrors this parable. It mirrors this line in particular: "To whom much is given, more will be given, but from those who have nothing, even more will be taken away. (Lk 19:26) What this means is that we are never given mroe than we can handle. We sould be very careful what we ask God for--after all, like any good parent, He knows what's best for His children.
Prayer: God, I am grateful for all that I have received from you.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:23 pm

I look at the fact that God never gives us more than we can handle...with his help. IF we try to do it alone...then it IS too much to handle! But I think that is the point....coupled with "Thru Christ all things are possible."

It is something I try to hold on to as I deal with my own things and when I feel that things are too much. To just let me lean on God when I have none of my own strength.

Kunoichi

Chapter XX: The Parable of the Wicked Tenants

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:59 pm

The Parable of the Wicked Tenants is a shot right to the spiritual gut, as it should be. We are the Wicked Tenants. I say this because of our disobedience of God.
I once read where a husband and wife have a conversation after watching the typical gloom and doom of the evening news. The husband says "If I were God, tomorrow would be Judgement Day."
The wife says, "Good thing you're not God."
As I've said, I wonder when we're going to wise up. I'm surprised God is so patient with us, myself included. Satan himself once asked me, "Do you really think there'll be many people when He comes again?" I thought about it and then answered with another question. "Does it really matter how many sheep there are, as opposed to the goats? Get out of here before I invoke Jesus's name again!" He left before I could even finish the sentence!
We should be infinitely grateful that we have such a merciful God. I'd rather serve God than anyone else.
Prayer: Dear God help me to remember that you are the only one worth following.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Ratrace » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:05 pm

I once read where a husband and wife have a conversation after watching the typical gloom and doom of the evening news. The husband says "If I were God, tomorrow would be Judgement Day."
The wife says, "Good thing you're not God."

That brings me back to John. He sent Jesus a letter from prison(Luke 7), I've heard lots of reasons why he had to stay where he was but I think one of them was for Herod's benefit (Mark 14:19,20).
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Ratrace

Chapter XXI: The Widow's Offering

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:09 pm

I like this scene a lot. I think what Jesus is telling us when he tells us about the widow is that we must all do our part to the best of our ability.
Each person has a vital role to play. The common idea is that we are all here by accident. But this is not so. We are stewards--no one is exempt. This is not a bad thing; it means we have a purpose.
Prayer: God, thank you for creating me. Help me to never slack in serving you.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Ratrace » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm

It's also about sacrifice. Jesus didn't care about the large amount the rich people gave because to them it was nothing. Every time Jesus is pleased with what someone does or gives it's because it cost them something.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Ratrace

Chapter XXII: Judas and Peter Betray Jesus

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:16 pm

It's quite interesting to compare both Judas and Peter. Both Judas and Peter betrayed Jesus. Yet Peter is thought as a model, while Judas is often hated.
I really wish the gospels' writers had given us more info on Judas. I want to know why he betrayed Jesus. I don't buy the stuff about Satan influencing him. I think his suicide proves he was fully aware of his actions and their consequences.
I think the reason Judas is hated is that his betrayal seems more wrong. Peter's seems like something anyone would do in a similar situation.
We also should consider what happened after the sin. Judas committed suicide, but Peter did not. I've always wondered what made him realize that he could be forgiven, even for his triple denial. Peter also went on to become the new leader of the apostles and the first pope. In fact, his role is so exemplary that none of his successors have ever taken his name, despite the fact that a pope can take any saint's name he chooses. It is seen as an act of pride, as if you see yourself on par with St. Peter. Those would be some pretty big sandals to fill!
Prayer: Dear God, please pick me up when I stumble on my path toward the ultimate goal. Help me to see that your forgiveness is only a question away.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby kaji » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:26 pm

I don't buy the stuff about Satan influencing him. I think his suicide proves he was fully aware of his actions and their consequences.

Judas was definitely aware of the consequences of what he was doing, though the Gospels do point to a demonic influence on the night of his betrayal (Luke 22:3, John 13:27). Regardless of the influence, Judas is still responsible for his own actions. Much the way we are for ours today.

It would seem that Peters faith, while weak when put to the test, was none the less genuine. Judas never expresses genuine faith in Christ as the Messiah, only regret that he had betrayed an innocent man.

Thanks for the reflection rocklobster, keep it up. ^_^
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Chapter XXIII: Jesus's Crucifixion

Postby rocklobster » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:28 pm

There are people who will tell you Jesus faked his death. Those people are--please excuse the pun--dead wrong. I've looked at the evidence and will present it here.
--Roman whippings were brutal. Victims often received 39 lashes with a whip that had pieces of sharp bone. Some victims even died of hypervolemic shock before the crucifixion even occured!
--Nails on the cross were pierced at the median nerve, the largest nerve going out of the hand. This nerve is even more sensitive that your "funny bone."
--The cross was so painful that the Romans created a new word for it: excruciating, which literally means "out of the cross".
--Jeus most likely died of asphixiation. In order to exhale, he would've had to push up on the feet to ease the muscular tension. The nail on the feet would tear through them, eventually locking up the tarsal bones.
--The hypervolemic shock resulted a collection of fluid in the membrane around the heart (pericardial effusion) and the lungs (pleural effusion). This fluid is clear, like water! Remember the centurion's declaration? (Luke 23:47)
To sum it up, the cross was intrisically designed to kill. There was no possible way to survive.
Note: All the evidence comes from the tenth chapter of The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.
Prayer: Jesus, thank you for dying for me.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby kaji » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:21 pm

All good proofs rocklobster, and a striking reminder of what exactly our savior went through when he took our place.

That a good book by the way. ^_~
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Chapter XXIV: The Resurrection

Postby rocklobster » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:22 pm

There is a Greek myth in which a woman named Pandora opens a box containing all the evils in the universe. Because of this, any chaotic event is often called a "Pandora's box." What this cliche fails to realize is that there's a version of the story in which there was actually something good in the box--hope.
When Adam and Eve ate the apple, it too was a Pandora's box. And just like the original, there was an element of hope:
"I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will strike your head, and you will strike its heel. [Gen 3:15]"
That passage foretells the birth of Jesus. He is the hope that gives us the ability to conquer evil. No matter how dark the days until the Revelation is fulfilled get, we must continue to lean on Jesus. Like the song says, "It's Friday, but Sunday is coming."
Prayer: Dear Jesus, I thank you. You are my hope and strength.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby kaji » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:09 am

A lot of people look at the books of the Pentateuch (first 5 books of the Old Testament) as just a historical account of creation, sin and the nation of Israel and look to the New Testament for God's grace and mercy. While those things are true, God's mercy is woven intimately into the creation account its self.

Even as man sins against God, He immediately begins the process of restoring him. And in His judgment of man, He doesn't curse him, but gives him blessing (blessing is increase, cursing is decrease and destruction) and hope for the future.

The verse you quoted in Genesis 3:15 is a great example of this. This verse is called the Proto-Evangelion. Proto = first, Evangelion = Gospel = Good news. The first good news of Christ in all of scripture comes immediately after mans first sin. How merciful, gracious, and cool is that?
- J. Hudson Taylor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Previous

Return to Devotional Readings