Bible Reading Group

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Bible Reading Group

Postby Amzi Live » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Proposing the creation of a Bible Reading Group.

I've set a goal to read the Bible from Genesis through Revelation.
That's something that I think would be fun to do with a group.
Calling all CAA'rs up to accepting the challenge.
I'm sure making it through the Bible will prove to be a gratifying experience.
We can start with two people so as long as some join we can set the date.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby MBlight » Thu May 22, 2008 5:21 am

Hey Amzi,

I think it would be great, I've tried it before in a year but it was very intimidating and doing it by myself was also a mission. I think it'd help a great lot if we could do it together! I'm definately in!
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby MBlight » Thu May 22, 2008 5:23 am

Let me know if the offer is still standing...
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Amzi Live » Thu May 22, 2008 7:35 am

MBlight (post: 1228356) wrote:Let me know if the offer is still standing...

Sure,It's still on.Let me try to get someone else in on this,and we can start.
I'm actually excited cause I thought no one was gonna respond.:sweat:
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby MBlight » Thu May 22, 2008 7:38 am

I'll try and get some few folks to join in!
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Amzi Live » Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 am

MBlight (post: 1228376) wrote:I'll try and get some few folks to join in!

Cool!:thumb:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby GeneD » Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 am

MBlight told me about this thread, Amzi, but there are just a few things I'd like to know.

Are you going to try it in a year, or just in any realistic amount of time?

Also are you going from G to R straight through or are you going to skip around a bit?

I'd just like to get these things clear first, since I'm the type of person who gets stuck in religious patterns very easily and then I struggle to put the fire/meaning back into my Bible reading. I've done the Bible-in-one-year thing, and where I actually read it all through minus about 3 books, it actually did me no good and became a chore.

Therefore I'm a bit loath to try it again. I understand though doing it along with others makes it easier. And maybe skipping around will help too, since the Old Testament can get a little much after a while.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Amzi Live » Thu May 22, 2008 8:05 am

GeneD (post: 1228378) wrote:MBlight told me about this thread, Amzi, but there are just a few things I'd like to know.

Are you going to try it in a year, or just in any realistic amount of time?

Also are you going from G to R straight through or are you going to skip around a bit?

I'd just like to get these things clear first, since I'm the type of person who gets stuck in religious patterns very easily and then I struggle to put the fire/meaning back into my Bible reading. I've done the Bible-in-one-year thing, and where I actually read it all through minus about 3 books, it actually did me no good and became a chore.

Therefore I'm a bit loath to try it again. I understand though doing it along with others makes it easier. And maybe skipping around will help too, since the Old Testament can get a little much after a while.

Actually,I wanted to edit what I said,but I couldn't.
I agree in what you just said.
I think it might be good to start in the New testament,and slowly get into the Old.
To not make it boring or anything when we get to the Old we could read books like I,and II Samuel ,Daniel,Ruth,Esther,and so forth since they are mostly stories.
Also the ones in the group could share what books in the Bible they would like to try out.
Skipping shouldn't hurt either,but some books are good to read them one after another like the Gospels,and Acts.
I think it's mostly up to the group,and were God might lead us.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby GeneD » Thu May 22, 2008 8:20 am

Okay, great. Count me in! I was actually trying to make up reasons of why I shouldn't join, but I'm going to step out in faith and just do it! :thumb:

Thanks for taking the initiative!

I think it would be a good idea though to work out a weekly reading plan or something so someone who can't check in a particular day won't fall behind.

At the moment I'm reading through the New Testament, starting at the back, with Jude and John1&2 and so on. :)

Also, I love your avatar.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby MBlight » Thu May 22, 2008 8:43 am

This is so cool, can't wait to get started!

I really think the weekly reading thing is a good idea!

I'm glad u decided to join Gene! Love ya!
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Amzi Live » Thu May 22, 2008 9:03 am

GeneD (post: 1228388) wrote:Okay, great. Count me in! I was actually trying to make up reasons of why I shouldn't join, but I'm going to step out in faith and just do it! :thumb:

Thanks for taking the initiative!

I think it would be a good idea though to work out a weekly reading plan or something so someone who can't check in a particular day won't fall behind.

At the moment I'm reading through the New Testament, starting at the back, with Jude and John1&2 and so on. :)

Also, I love your avatar.

Yep,I agree. It would be more organized too.
Any suggestions on were to begin,and how much to be read according to a reading plan(ex. a chapter a day or something).

Why,Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby MBlight » Thu May 22, 2008 9:06 am

I think a chapter a day sounds pretty reasonable... as for where to start... either the beginning or the end of the NT ... maybe? I don't know...
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Prince Asbel » Thu May 22, 2008 11:06 am

I already read multiple chapters per day, so I guess I've already taken the challenge. But hey, for those that read less than I do, it could still be an interesting experience.
Prince Asbel

Postby animewarrior » Fri May 23, 2008 10:28 am

I'M JOINING!!! But where to start??? O.o
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby NekoChan_C » Fri May 23, 2008 11:02 am

I'm in! I have been going through the Gospels, but want to really dig in... so yeah! I'm ready!!!
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby oro! » Fri May 23, 2008 11:17 am

I want to join as well. If we need guidance as to where to start, we could look around for already existing plans and try to implement them. I tend to skip around, but reading and discussing will surely keep us on track! I think this would be a great group effort!
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby GeneD » Fri May 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Great, we got some more people! I'm not sure to what extent we will be able to chat about what we read outside of PMs though. It might fall under the area of theological discussion.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Kunoichi » Fri May 23, 2008 6:19 pm

*waves hand* wants to join!!

Maybe we could join in AIM or maybe we could just start the thread here per book or verse...(think mods would mind?)
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby Amzi Live » Fri May 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Yeah,I forgot that there were some rules that were brought up because of some rather strong discussions in the forums.I'll PM a Mod to be clear on how far we can get in our posts.It would be wise for us to be clear on how to handle ourselves in the thread.Of course PMing,and instant messaging are great ideas,especially for exchanging thoughts among ourselves.

Oh,and before I forget.
Who thinks it a good idea to begin reading from the Gospels,and which book do you think might be good to begin in?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Kunoichi » Fri May 23, 2008 8:08 pm

I would love John personally
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

Kunoichi

Postby oro! » Fri May 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Heh, everyone loves John. I don't have a preference, although I don't know if John is a simple enough first choice. It's so chock full; we might want to work to a harder book. On the other hand, it would be really good for discussion.
On the how: I think we should probably do a aim thing, and set up a time every week or something to discuss(although of course, we could do it kinda randomly). Whatever works for everyone. I really want to do this!
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby MBlight » Sat May 24, 2008 1:55 am

I think to do both AIM and posts in the thread would be great, that way, we can IM and have a set time to do this in and can talk to each other live... and if we have a sudden revelation we can post it here just in case we forget to mention it in our "sessions".
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat May 24, 2008 7:15 am

I would LOVE to do this...

I just don't have aim... XD

I've heard that John is GREAT place to start reading... they always recommend this book to people looking to have a stronger faith. (it's kinda the first book they use to witness too, isn't it??)

Anyways... it sounds like a fun thing to do.

The only problem i see, is it's summer...and there will be a lot of people travelling..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby animewarrior » Sat May 24, 2008 10:53 am

*heh.* Not to be the voice of disregard to everyone else...but I kinda just went through John with my church.....we just finished it last Sunday...:sweat: I would prefer to start with Mark(prefers the action-filled gospel) but hey it's ok if we start with John as well... *shrugs*

As to the summer issue CK, well we just will have to be updated after we get back from stuff....aka you could say I'm going to be gone from Date #1 - Date #2... and ask the crew what we are going to go through at that time...then maybe if you have time you could read the stuff by yourself on your trip...reading the Bible is one of the best things to do on vacation...or at least that is what I think...
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Kunoichi » Sat May 24, 2008 3:50 pm

or we do not even have to start in the Gospels...we could do Romans (deals alot with faith and struggles)....or we could do groups where some people do one book or what not

*shrug* *smile

Just an idea

Kunoichi

Postby Prince Asbel » Sat May 24, 2008 4:04 pm

Oh yeah, romans is really good. I especially like chapters 1, 8, and 9.
Prince Asbel

Postby Amzi Live » Sat May 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Very well I've PMed some people,and want to get their input on somethings before we get started.

On the AIM Idea.It's a great one,but I don't have AIM either.I would get it just for this though.I know that Messenger,and AIM users can IM each other,but can't start groups of more than two people.
Anyone have any idea on how to resolve this?
We could use messenger instead.
I think I have a good idea,but I'll have to get to you on that by late Sunday,or Monday.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Amzi Live » Sat May 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Chili_Salsa (post: 1229384) wrote:lol this sounds amazing!!! except that i would probably be ahead of the game....i started reading through the Bible on my own. I can't remember where I am, but i'm not far off the half-way point (in my Bible, at least) but i can't wait to do this as a team!!! lol this sounds like a lot of fun!
If you can believe it, i just started reading through the genealogies looking for cool names...and next thing i kno, i found myself reading the whole thing *shrugs* i was pretty impressed with myself.

It doesn't really matter to me where we start tho...i think i've read everything in the Bible except the last half of the Old Testament...i never did like the angry prophets that never had anything nice to say lol

:poke:
Soo glad you joined.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Sheenar » Sat May 24, 2008 10:00 pm

I would really like to join in as well. Can I?

I have AIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo Messenger (hardly use them--in fact, not really at all--but I totally would for this.)

It doesn't really matter to me what book we start in--we can get great truths/teachings from any book. (My personal favorites, though, are James, Romans, and Hebrews)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby GeneD » Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 am

For the record I only have YIM, if needs be, however, I can get on of the others.

I don't really mind where we start, though the Gospels are always good. :thumb:

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Next

Return to Devotional Readings