April 11, 2007

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

April 11, 2007

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Meeting Needs

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."
Hebrews 13:2

A poor vagabond, traveling a country road in England, tired and hungry, came to a roadside inn with a sign reading: "George and the Dragon." He knocked.

The innkeeper's wife stuck her head out a window. "Could ye spare some food?" He asked. The woman glanced at his shabby clothes and obviously poor condition. "No!" She said rather sternly.

"Could I have some water?" "No!" She said again.

"Could I at least sleep in your stable?" "No!" By this time, she was fairly shouting.

The vagabond said, "Might I please...?" "What now?" The woman interrupted impatiently.

"D'ye suppose," he asked, "I might have a word with George?"

Is it possible that people around us who are in need view us as a "dragon" because of our callous indifference to their plight?

Prayer: Ask God to help you to be sensitive to the needs of those who come to you.

"God does not comfort us to make us comfortable only, but to make us comforters."
Dr. John Henry Jowett
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings