February 1, 2007

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

February 1, 2007

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:53 am

Money Does Not Bring Happiness

"Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf."
Proverbs 11:28

In 1928 a group of the world’s most successful financiers met at the Edgewater Beach Hotel in Chicago. The following were present: The president of the largest utility company, The greatest wheat speculator, The president of the New York Stock Exchange, A member of the President’s Cabinet, The greatest "bear" in Wall Street, The president of the Bank of International Settlements, The head of the world’s greatest monopoly. Collectively, these tycoons controlled more wealth than there was in the U.S. Treasury, and for years newspapers and magazines had been printing their success stories and urging the youth of the nation to follow their examples. Twenty-five years later, this is what had happened to these men:

· The president of the largest independent steel company, Charles Schwab, lived on borrowed money the last five years of his life and died broke.
· The greatest wheat speculator, Arthur Cutten, died abroad, insolvent.
· The president of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney, served a term in Sing Sing Prison.
· The member of the President’s Cabinet, Albert Fall, was pardoned from prison so he could die at home.
· The greatest "bear" in Wall Street, Jesse Livermore, committed suicide.
· The president of the Bank of International Settlements, Leon Fraser, committed suicide.
· The head of the world’s greatest monopoly, Ivar Drueger, committed suicide.

Prayer: Ask God to help you tap into the source of real happiness, your relationship with His Son, Jesus Christ.

"Life is tragic for the person who has plenty to live on but nothing to live for."
~Anonymous
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby rocklobster » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:08 am

yeesh. Success sure was fleeting for those folks!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Devotional Readings