February 1, 2006

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

February 1, 2006

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:40 pm

The Important Determination

"I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought."
I Corinthians 1:10

Being much concerned about the rise of denominations in the church, John Wesley tells of a dream he had. In the dream, he was ushered to the gates of Hell. There he asked, "Are there any Presbyterians here?" "Yes!", came the answer. Then he asked, "Are there any Baptists? Any Episcopalians? Any Methodists?" The answer was Yes! each time. Much distressed, Wesley was then ushered to the gates of Heaven. There he asked the same question, and the answer was No! "No?" To this, Wesley asked, "Who then is inside?" The answer came back, "There are only Christians here."

Prayer: Ask God for the opportunity and ability to serve with all brothers and sisters in Christ.

"There are many things which a person can do alone, but being a Christian is not one of them. As the Christian life is, above all things, a state of union with Christ, and of union of his followers with one another, love of the brethren is inseparable from love of God. Resentment toward any human being cannot exist in the same heart with love to God. The personal relationship to Christ can only be realized when one has "come to himself" as a member of His Body, the Christian fellowship."
~William T. Ham
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Dreamywingz » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:17 am

Wow, what a sweet message that is. You know, I was in church once listening to what the pastor was telling us. I'm a protestant christian, but what he said made a lot of sense. He said that sometimes christians can be their own biggest critics, they judge each other and try to make themselves above the others who might think a bit different from them. All in all, unity starts with one core belief--believing in Jesus Christ and calling him our Lord and Savior. So even though a protestant might be taught a tiny bit different from a methodist, it all starts with one belief--that belief in Jesus Christ the Savior. The rest will follow to those who listen and share with others...=)
Dreamywingz

Return to Devotional Readings