December 23, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

December 23, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:24 am

What To Give

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"
Acts 20:35

Who hasn't said this before, "Sure wish I knew what go get _________ for Christmas. . . . I've wracked my brain and wandered down a hundred overstocked store isles already. I can't think of a thing. Christmas is so frustratingly complicated."

Here's an idea. Just relax and make it easy. At the same time give the perfect gift. In reality Christmas is very simple, It is a celebration of generous unconditional love. So why not give it.

There once was a young teenager who had to get up at four every morning to help his father milk and do chores. Life was hard for his family. They struggled to meet the challenges of a farm that demanded great toil and sweat to eak out a living with a mule and a single bottom plow.

On one occasion the boy over heard his parents talking. They were trying to figure a way to allow him to sleep longer but because of the demands of the farm there were no options. From the conversation and the tone of their voices it occurred to him how special he was to his parents and how much his father loved him. This inspired him to spring out of bed at his fathers first call every day at that ungodly hour.

One Christmas Eve he turned in with a heavy heart. He had been unable to afford some wonderful gift for his Dad. Suddenly he had an idea. He would get up extra early and do the milking and feeding as a grand gift. A gesture of the love he felt for his father. At four on that Christmas morning his father called him then headed out to the barn. The boy lay under the covers, his heart beating joyfully at what his father would find when he reached in to get the milk can. His father would know who was responsible.

In a few minutes he heard his dad come back into the house and into his room. The man was so overcome with emotion he could scarcely speak. He just took his son in his arms and said over and over "This is the finest Christmas I ever had, the very finest."

God gave the gift of unconditional love through His Son, Jesus Christ. This is why we celebrate this special time of year. The greatest gift we can give is the expression of that love through our own lives.

Prayer: Ask God to help you express His love unconditionally.

"Some gifts you can give this Christmas are beyond monetary value: Mend a quarrel, dismiss suspicion, tell someone, "I love you." Give something away--anonymously. Forgive someone who has treated you wrong. Turn away wrath with a soft answer. Visit someone in a nursing home. Apologize if you were wrong. Be especially kind to someone with whom you work. Give as God gave to you in Christ, without obligation, or announcement, or reservation, or hypocrisy."
~Charles Swindoll
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Puguni » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:07 pm

My goodness, this is beautiful. This can't be any purer...
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Silvanis » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:20 pm

Beautiful... what else can be said about such a story?
Silvanis

Return to Devotional Readings