October 7, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

October 7, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:49 pm

Why Go To Church?

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:25

A Churchgoer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday.

"I’ve gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can’t remember a single one of them. So, I think I’m wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor.

It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher: I’ve been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this: They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!" When you are DOWN to nothing.... God is UP to something! Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible! Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!

Prayer: Ask God to continually speak to your heart, consciously or unconsciously.

"God is not moved or impressed with our worship until our hearts are moved and impressed by Him."
~Kelly Sparks
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Felix » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:37 am

My pastor was just talking about something like this. I like the way you put it much more though. Thanks, Doc! That was really great. Great thing to start my day with. ^^
Felix

Return to Devotional Readings