December 17, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

December 17, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:29 pm

Our Example Of Humility

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross!"
Philippians 2:5-8

In his book "The Applause of Heaven," Max Lucado relates the following:

A small cathedral outside Bethlehem marks the supposed birthplace of Jesus. Behind a high altar in the church is a cave, a little cavern lit by silver lamps.
You can enter the main edifice and admire the ancient church. You can also enter the quiet cave where a star embedded in the floor recognizes the birth of the King. There is one stipulation, however. You have to stoop. The door is so low you can't go in standing up.

The same is true of the Christ. You can see the world standing tall, but to witness the Savior, you have to get on your knees.

Christ humbled himself and became like man. Man should humble himself and worship Christ.

Prayer: Ask God to help you enter the Christmas season with a humble heart.

"When I saw Sadhu Sundar Singh in Europe, he had completed a tour around the world. People asked him, 'Doesn't it do harm, your getting so much honor?' The Sadhu's answer was: 'No. The donkey went into Jerusalem, and they put garments on the ground before him. He was not proud. He knew it was not done to honor him, but for Jesus, who was sitting on his back. When people honor me, I know it is not me, but the Lord, who does the job.'"
~Corrie Ten Boom
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings