December 14, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

December 14, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:51 pm

The Art Of Sharing

"Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share."
I Timothy 6:18

Our greatest blessings come not when we hold on tight fisted to things, but when we share with those around us.

Many years ago three soldiers, hungry and weary of battle, came upon a small village. The villagers, suffering a meager harvest and the many years of war, quickly hid what little they had to eat and met the three at the village square, wringing their hands and bemoaning the lack of anything to eat.

The soldiers spoke quietly among themselves and the first soldier then turned to the village elders. "Your tired fields have left you nothing to share, so we will share what little we have, the secret of how to make soup from stones." Naturally the villagers were intrigued and soon a fire was put to the town's greatest kettle as the soldiers dropped in three smooth stones. "Now this will be a fine soup," said the second soldier, "but a pinch of salt and some parsley would make it wonderful!"

Up jumped a villager, crying "What luck! I've just remembered where some has been left!" And off she ran, returning with an apron full of parsley and a turnip.

As the kettle boiled on, the memory of the village improved, soon barley, carrots, beef and cream had found their way into the great pot and all sat down to feast.

They ate and danced and sang well into the night, refreshed by the feast and their new-found friends. In the morning, the three soldiers awoke to find the entire village standing before them. At their feet lay a satchel of the village's best breads and cheese.

"You have given us the greatest of gifts, the secret of how to make soup from stones," said an elder, "and we shall never forget."

The third soldier turned to the crowd and said, "There is no secret, but this is certain, it is only by sharing that we may make a feast."

Prayer: Ask God to continually develop in you a giving heart.

Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves."
~James M. Barrie
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:56 pm

This reminds me, I don't thank you enough for your gift of sharing these devotions with us so consistently, Rev. Doc. Thank you. ^_____^

I really do love reading these, and am always blessed.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:00 pm

Thank you. It's a great joy for me to be allowed to contribute in this way.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby agasfas » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:21 pm

Thank you for you words Rev.
I know I constantly refer to Kant but it think this is the perfect chance to say it again.
When reading "metamorphoses of morals" a interesting point arises. The question is doing what is right. The jist of it is, you do things out of duty-- doing it because it's the right thing to do. We should never give out of inclination (self fulfilment or guilty). If we feel pressure to give, then don't. It wouldn't be for the right reasons. I think we can relate this to God. God expects us to give willingly, not out of guilt or out of assumptions that God will reward your generosity. If we do that, our gifts would be in vain. ANd morally, you would be giving for all the wrong reasons.
Thank you Rev for you words of Sharing. Sometimes we just need a reminder.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Return to Devotional Readings